Trip Report Jan/Feb trip.

We are empty nesters and still like our time at WDW. Sunday we arrived at MCO and has reservations on Mears. We entered the line at 4:30 and got to our resort, French Quarter, at 6:00. I am not sure I will use Mears again. I had checked in on line two days before our trip and went directly to our room. I had asked for a room close to the bus station and ended up in building 7. Turns out it was just a short walk across the parking lot to the bus station. We had no problems getting in our room using magic bands we had purchased two years ago. The TV was on and had Welcome to the Graphite1326 family (well it had our real name on it) nice touch. We were hungry and decided to walk to Riverside and see if we could get in to Boatwright's. They said it would be about 30 minutes if we wanted to wait. We decided to shop while we waited and it was 30 minutes for us to be seated. We had a great meal with a friendly server. We were tired from our trip and went back to our room to get ready for the next day, watch a little TV, and then crash for the evening.

graphite1326

Original Poster
February 1st Hollywood Studios

Of course we had to get there at rope drop (early entry) and head to Rise of the Resistance. When we got there the crowd was already quite deep. Turns out the ride was broke down. Our choice was to head to Smugglers Run to avoid a long line since I am pretty sure a lot of the people standing in RotR were going to do the same thing. Smugglers was pretty much a walk on. My wife and I got to be pilots. I have never been a pilot before. I was the up and down pilot. I am not sure what I was doing really made that much difference. Also, it seemed that all that invovlment you have to do in the ride takes away from the special affects. I was concentrating so much that I seemed to miss the bumps and and special affects. But maybe that is just me. I still like Star tours better.

After getting off RotR was still not up and running. We headed over to one of our favorites, Toy Story Mania. My wife always wins between the two of us. I kept up on points most of the way but toward the end she pulled away, Oh well, next time. We skipped Slinky due to the looooong line, something I just don't get it's not that good of a ride, and headed to Tower of Terror. It had about a 30 minute wait. It turned to more like a 50 minute wait due to issues with elevators. By the time got to the lobby they were down to one. Ya know the anticipation as you go up the elevator and the story as you go makes me more nervous then the actual drop. We spent the rest of the morning doing various attractions. We even did the Indiana Jones Stunt show which is something we haven't done in a while.

Lunch! We hadn't made any reservations and were wandering around trying to decide where to eat. My wife suggested Mama Melrose's. What the heck we can try. Turns out for two we could get right in. They had my favorite beer, Yuengling, and I ordered the pork chop. Sounded like they would go well together. I got to tell you right now that was the best meal I have EVER had in my life. That chop was so tender and good it just melted in my mouth. I can't wait to get back there and have it again.

We spent the rest of the day doing the attractions and rides we wanted to see and I got to do Star Tours again. Two rides we didn't get on due to the long lines were Rise and Runaway Train. Sorry I am just not going to pay extra to get in the faster lines. We can still have a lot of fun.

By evening we were getting tired and headed back to our resort. In a few years I will be in my 70's I hope we can still do this but I can see we have slowed down in the last 25 years.

erstwo

I always love traveling with a large group to Disney. But, One of my favorite things about being in the parks with just one other person is being able to get a seat at a sit down restaurant easier (ETA - easily? This was an awkward sentence! :))

Last edited:

graphite1326

Original Poster
Our last day; First thing I did was go down to the lobby and see if they could help me get a time on GotG. They were very helpful and told me what to do. There is some sort of secret. It worked and on got a 2 o'clock boarding time. Thanks. I wish had gotten their names. So we went to EPCOT. We rope dropped of course and did our usuall Soarin and Living with the land. We caught Awesome Planet on the way out of the Land Pavilion. Take my advise and skip it. I also noted that one of the "facts" thay talked about was not true. We didn't do the aquaruim on our previous vist and hung out there a while. After that we decided to walk through the new area where the fountain used to be. I guess it's ok. At one point my wife looked down into one of the pools of water and said"all the plants are fake" to which someone else said "that's because there is so much chlorine in the water that plants will not grow." LOL so much for Disney being environmentally friendly.

On to Canada and watched the circle film. First time I have watched this version. Terrible. Bring back Martin Short. One thing we do every trip is get the fish and chips at Great Britian. We went around World Showcase looking around. We caught another show of Voices of Liberty. We took our time on around and got on the boat ride in Mexico. We looked at the wait time at Frozen and as usual it was way too long. It was no big deal for us to skip it. That's because I have never seen the movie and could care less about the ride. I liked the Norway version better.

Our GotG return time had moved up to around 1 0'clock and it was getting close so we headed over. We stood outside until our time came up and headed in. That is an awesome ride. I wonder when the virtual queue will end and then how long the line will be to get in.

After that we headed to Magic Kingdom. On the Monorail of course.

Last edited:

graphite1326

Original Poster
We spent the rest of the day at MK. Repeating the rides we preferr like PotC, BTMR, and did the Laugh Floor since we missed it on our first visit there. Of course my wife had to do some shopping. For some reason I cannot remember where we grabbed supper. It had to be a fast food place but for the life of me I can't remember. I'm getting old I guess.

After we had enough it was time to head to the resort. WE got there just in time for the band to start at Scat Cat's club. Fusion jazz band and they were very good. After one drink it was time to head back to our room and get ready for an early flight.

graphite1326

Original Poster
Something I made a note of before we went on our trip. I wanted to go over to Riverside and catch a show of Yehaa Bob but completely forgot about it while we were there.

Last edited:

graphite1326

Original Poster
We had to get up early and catch the Mears bus at 7:10. I was worried about our return trip hearing rumors about the long lines at the airport and missing flights. Our flight was leaving at 10:40 so we had plenty of time. I was calculating in my head how long the bus ride was going to take and assuming we would stop at other resorts. The bus arrive at 7:10. So far so good. We must have been the first stop since the bus was empty when we boarded. Surprise there were no other stops. Got to the airport. Grabbed our luggage and headed to drop off our luggage at the counter. Southwest airlines has a special area for northeast residents. We got throught That in no time. It took about 20 minutes to get through security. Well that worked out well.

If some of you have never flown on Southwest they have a different way of boarding. You have a boarding number assigned to you when you can get on the aircraft. Group A goes first. Then Group B and then I think C but I have never been that low on the list so I am not sure. We were the last in Group A (never been in group A before). Once you board it's first come first serve as far as seats. There were two front row seats left when we boarded. Plenty of leg room but no serving tray since there is no seat in front of you. That's ok I fell asleep anyway most of the flight.

Well that's it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

graphite1326

Original Poster
From the responce I received I guess I'm not very good at giving trip reports. Maybe it was because I didn't have any pictures. Sorry we have been there so many times we just don't do pics anymore and would rather just enjoy the parks.

erstwo

I think a lot of us read - but don't always comment! Sometimes I'm on my phone and don't want to type on the tiny screen. :) I enjoyed your report! Photos are great, but I don't mind reading a report without photos!

fractal

February 1st Hollywood Studios

Of course we had to get there at rope drop (early entry) and head to Rise of the Resistance. When we got there the crowd was already quite deep. Turns out the ride was broke down. Our choice was to head to Smugglers Run to avoid a long line since I am pretty sure a lot of the people standing in RotR were going to do the same thing. Smugglers was pretty much a walk on. My wife and I got to be pilots. I have never been a pilot before. I was the up and down pilot. I am not sure what I was doing really made that much difference. Also, it seemed that all that invovlment you have to do in the ride takes away from the special affects. I was concentrating so much that I seemed to miss the bumps and and special affects. But maybe that is just me. I still like Star tours better.

After getting off RotR was still not up and running. We headed over to one of our favorites, Toy Story Mania. My wife always wins between the two of us. I kept up on points most of the way but toward the end she pulled away, Oh well, next time. We skipped Slinky due to the looooong line, something I just don't get it's not that good of a ride, and headed to Tower of Terror. It had about a 30 minute wait. It turned to more like a 50 minute wait due to issues with elevators. By the time got to the lobby they were down to one. Ya know the anticipation as you go up the elevator and the story as you go makes me more nervous then the actual drop. We spent the rest of the morning doing various attractions. We even did the Indiana Jones Stunt show which is something we haven't done in a while.

Lunch! We hadn't made any reservations and were wandering around trying to decide where to eat. My wife suggested Mama Melrose's. What the heck we can try. Turns out for two we could get right in. They had my favorite beer, Yuengling, and I ordered the pork chop. Sounded like they would go well together. I got to tell you right now that was the best meal I have EVER had in my life. That chop was so tender and good it just melted in my mouth. I can't wait to get back there and have it again.

We spent the rest of the day doing the attractions and rides we wanted to see and I got to do Star Tours again. Two rides we didn't get on due to the long lines were Rise and Runaway Train. Sorry I am just not going to pay extra to get in the faster lines. We can still have a lot of fun.

By evening we were getting tired and headed back to our resort. In a few years I will be in my 70's I hope we can still do this but I can see we have slowed down in the last 25 years.

That's quite a review of Mama Melrose's! I'll have to finally try it next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom