Jack Sparrow at the Magic Kindom *Video and Pictures*

Main Street USA

XSTech said:
I rewatched the movie last night (since I was jealous at not attending the new movie premiere at DL!) and noticed that half of Jack Sparrow's lines are said really quickly and quietly, often with a lot of slurring. You can't translate that into an in-park performer that has to be understandable in front of a crowd of 50-100 people. If he stood up there and sounded just like Johnny Depp in the movies, no one would have a clue what he was saying.

Yes, he could sound a little more like Jack Sparrow (the accent could be thicker), but not completely without making it weird.
Couldn't they just use a wireless mic? Then he could sound much better. I get that he had to belt it out, but man, the voice is just terrible.

Props to the guy for trying, though. I would imagine it has to be really hard to go out there when everyone is expecting an exact impersonation of the real thing.

XSTech

Original Poster
Main Street USA said:
Couldn't they just use a wireless mic? Then he could sound much better. I get that he had to belt it out, but man, the voice is just terrible.

He did have a wireless mic. The speakers were in the cart that the other pirate actor brought out. The mic was up by his forehead. I'm sure the voice will get better in time.

Listen to my podcast today (when I put it up in a couple hours) to hear a high-quality binaural recording of the same performance. You can really get a feel for what he sounded like then.

dxwwf3

XSTech said:
I rewatched the movie last night (since I was jealous at not attending the new movie premiere at DL!) and noticed that half of Jack Sparrow's lines are said really quickly and quietly, often with a lot of slurring. You can't translate that into an in-park performer that has to be understandable in front of a crowd of 50-100 people. If he stood up there and sounded just like Johnny Depp in the movies, no one would have a clue what he was saying.

I think that is a valid point. The only real problem I had when I first saw the first film was that I couldn't understand Depp during most of the film. However that was a problem with the sound system at the theater because at home I can hear him much more plain. But I still think if they tried to be extremely accurate, it could create problems.

bassman

HandyAndy said:
Couldnt agree more, he looks so much more like the Deppster himself!

ive seen this guy before on another site and i was amazed how much he looked like jack.
his costume is pretty much identical,where did he get it.im going as jack to a fancy dress party soon and i want to try and get as close to him as i can, both costume and manerisms.
the only things holding me back are the fact that i cant find anywhere here in britain that sells clip-in dreadlock hair extentions and i cant figure out how to get his platted beard.

Main Street USA

bassman said:
ive seen this guy before on another site and i was amazed how much he looked like jack.
his costume is pretty much identical,where did he get it.im going as jack to a fancy dress party soon and i want to try and get as close to him as i can, both costume and manerisms.
the only things holding me back are the fact that i cant find anywhere here in britain that sells clip-in dreadlock hair extentions and i cant figure out how to get his platted beard.
The guy in the attached pics is me. About 90% of my costume is homemade, so...the things I actually bought were the dreadlock wig (but i altered and combined it with a normal long brown wig, tied in the acessories, beads, etc.), the white shirt, and the bandana. Everything else is fabric that I either sewed or used fabric glue to fit my shape and size. The coat is actually fabric that I layed on top of an older London Fog coat in my grandfather's closet. I cut out the lining and used the outer shell of the jacket for guidance...then, of course, I added the huge cuffs and cut off the collar, added the buttons, etc. The facial hair is partially mine. I just dyed it dark brown and super glued in the chin braids (just shaved them of afterwards).

Needless to say I've spent a lot of time and money on it (but I won the money back in a huge halloween party contest in St. Louis) but it's been a lot of fun....and it's even more fun to go out in public. ;) I'm going to do what I can to finally make it down to WDW this year for the party. I want some ride pics with the costume on! :)

bassman

Main Street USA said:
The guy in the attached pics is me. About 90% of my costume is homemade, so...the things I actually bought were the dreadlock wig (but i altered and combined it with a normal long brown wig, tied in the acessories, beads, etc.), the white shirt, and the bandana. Everything else is fabric that I either sewed or used fabric glue to fit my shape and size. The coat is actually fabric that I layed on top of an older London Fog coat in my grandfather's closet. I cut out the lining and used the outer shell of the jacket for guidance...then, of course, I added the huge cuffs and cut off the collar, added the buttons, etc. The facial hair is partially mine. I just dyed it dark brown and super glued in the chin braids (just shaved them of afterwards).

Needless to say I've spent a lot of time and money on it (but I won the money back in a huge halloween party contest in St. Louis) but it's been a lot of fun....and it's even more fun to go out in public. ;) I'm going to do what I can to finally make it down to WDW this year for the party. I want some ride pics with the costume on! :)

WOW THATS YOU.
you really made that costume?!
the problem with the hair for me is that i cant wear a wig,i have shoulder length long mousy brown hair,it would stick out thats why im trying to get dreadlock extentions to make it easyer,you dont have any ideas i could use hair wise do you,i would really be thankfull for it.

i think that i am going to try your beard idea, mines pretty long ( about 1inch)
i have 2 more questions for you,
how did you get the hat?
and
how did you get your wig to stay on your head,i mean if you were acting like him you must have moved about alot.

Main Street USA

bassman said:
WOW THATS YOU.
you really made that costume?!
the problem with the hair for me is that i cant wear a wig,i have shoulder length long mousy brown hair,it would stick out thats why im trying to get dreadlock extentions to make it easyer,you dont have any ideas i could use hair wise do you,i would really be thankfull for it.

i think that i am going to try your beard idea, mines pretty long ( about 1inch)
i have 2 more questions for you,
how did you get the hat?
and
how did you get your wig to stay on your head,i mean if you were acting like him you must have moved about alot.
You'd be surprised how well the bandana holds the wig in place, and all that hair isn't incredibly light, either. As for the hat, I got it off eBay for 20 bucks. They're available pretty much year round I think. It's pretty realistic looking for foam, and yes, it's foam. Someone sells leather ones, but they want like 200 bucks, and I think they're a bit big.

For the wig, if you can't find it in any shops, again, I'd hit eBay. You can get a very realistic dreadlock wig for about ten bucks. The one I got was actually part of a "rasta" type hat thing, and then I cut the dreads off of it and tied them into the other wig I had bought. You can also get really small hair clips at any department store in the girls department.

If you need anything else just let me know....I'll be as helpful as I can. We need more Sparrows out there! ;)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
hmm... he looks ok, but knowing the WDW casting directors, the performers following #1 there will look terrible

bassman

Main Street USA said:
You'd be surprised how well the bandana holds the wig in place, and all that hair isn't incredibly light, either. As for the hat, I got it off eBay for 20 bucks. They're available pretty much year round I think. It's pretty realistic looking for foam, and yes, it's foam. Someone sells leather ones, but they want like 200 bucks, and I think they're a bit big.

For the wig, if you can't find it in any shops, again, I'd hit eBay. You can get a very realistic dreadlock wig for about ten bucks. The one I got was actually part of a "rasta" type hat thing, and then I cut the dreads off of it and tied them into the other wig I had bought. You can also get really small hair clips at any department store in the girls department.

If you need anything else just let me know....I'll be as helpful as I can. We need more Sparrows out there! ;)

well now that you mention it.
did you make your sword and scabbard,because thats what i am haveing to do with mine unless i can buy a similar one to jacks,the scabbard i mean,im having a sword made out of wood and a compass,
you dont know what disney are selling outside POTC in MK do you.

yensidtlaw1969

To anyone who wants to make / is making a Jack Sparrow Costume, there are several excellent costume studies that really break everything down into detail to see what makes up what and how it's achieved.

http://www.freewebs.com/potc_costumes/Jack.htm

http://www.houseofanoria.com/POTC_JackSparrowStudy.htm

I'm reworking my pathetic attempt at a Captain Jack Costume completely for the new movie (I plan to wear it when I see it because I'm a loser like that). I threw it together in a couple hours for a Pirate themed event at my school. No attention to detail at all and looking back I'm suprised I ever thought it looked good. I had to hotglue stuff to my face for the facial hair (I didn't want to paint it on -- it would have looked fake). It wasn't the hotglue that hurt, it was the taking ti off after the night ended :dazzle: . People seemed to like it though. I'm very happy with how my reowrk is turning out. I'll have to post pictures of it when I'm done.

Yensid " I just need to work on the voice . . . alot " tlaw1969

yensidtlaw1969

Dude, it's totally her elbows. She has HOT elbows. I love how many shots taken from the premier at Disneyland show off her wonderful elbows.

Yensid "NOTE: I don't actually have a 'thing" for elbows, I'm just being zany. Thank you" tlaw1969

Main Street USA

STR8FAN2005 said:
True that!

:lookaroun

*awaits flaming from Keira lovers*
Gotta agree with all of the "not much to look at" comments. I can't believe how freakishly skinny she is. For godsakes, EAT! Or, maybe, at least, excercise a little to get HINT of muscle tone. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrross!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom