I've come to the conclusion we'll have to change our tactics at Disney from now on.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Hi guys, we arrived 2 weeks ago today and go back to England next Wednesday. We do this every year and have 3 weeks in Orlando and purchase premium annual passes making sure the following year we come a bit earlier to get a full 6 weeks out of our AP's. Over the many years I've been coming I've kind of devised my own tactics to navigate the parks and during Sep/Oct we've often been able to arrive whenever during the day and be able to find certain attractions we could just hop on with next to no wait. I'm fuly aware that certain attractionss are always busy and we do have 'full days' at Disney incorperating fast passes and doubling back accross the parks etc. This year however, there's been a big difference.

On the days we've popped in say mid afternoon, no longer do certain attractions have very short queues. Things like Journey, TGMR, TOT, RNRC, POTC, Maelstrom and Star Tours to name just a few have had 25+ min waits. Getting fast passes has been very hard even at parks where we've arrived well before opening. Today a the Studios TSMM was issuing fast pass returns of 5:00 - 6:00 pm at 9:10am with a standby of 45 mins at that point (I know this is historically bad, but it seemed ridiculous today). At Epcot Test Track was fast passing at something like 4:45-5:45pm at 9:10am the other day and we queued for Journey for nearly 30 mins at about 11am!

We don't yet qualify for FP+ even though I've shelled out nearly $1,500 for 2 premium AP's and I've been told by guest relations today that they're 'unsure' whether we'll be included in FP+ by next September when we return. It seems that we're going to have to rethink our tactics for visiting the parks and I'm struggling to see how we're ever going to go back to the old days as stand by queues now seem much longer and many of the good old reliable 'no wait rides' now have waits.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been effected like this and if so, have you overcome it? Are there any good tips out there or are the 'good old days' gone forever with the advent of the new technology?

aladdin2007

Hi guys, we arrived 2 weeks ago today and go back to England next Wednesday. We do this every year and have 3 weeks in Orlando and purchase premium annual passes making sure the following year we come a bit earlier to get a full 6 weeks out of our AP's. Over the many years I've been coming I've kind of devised my own tactics to navigate the parks and during Sep/Oct we've often been able to arrive whenever during the day and be able to find certain attractions we could just hop on with next to no wait. I'm fuly aware that certain attractionss are always busy and we do have 'full days' at Disney incorperating fast passes and doubling back accross the parks etc. This year however, there's been a big difference.

On the days we've popped in say mid afternoon, no longer do certain attractions have very short queues. Things like Journey, TGMR, TOT, RNRC, POTC, Maelstrom and Star Tours to name just a few have had 25+ min waits. Getting fast passes has been very hard even at parks where we've arrived well before opening. Today a the Studios TSMM was issuing fast pass returns of 5:00 - 6:00 pm at 9:10am with a standby of 45 mins at that point (I know this is historically bad, but it seemed ridiculous today). At Epcot Test Track was fast passing at something like 4:45-5:45pm at 9:10am the other day and we queued for Journey for nearly 30 mins at about 11am!

We don't yet qualify for FP+ even though I've shelled out nearly $1,500 for 2 premium AP's and I've been told by guest relations today that they're 'unsure' whether we'll be included in FP+ by next September when we return. It seems that we're going to have to rethink our tactics for visiting the parks and I'm struggling to see how we're ever going to go back to the old days as stand by queues now seem much longer and many of the good old reliable 'no wait rides' now have waits.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been effected like this and if so, have you overcome it? Are there any good tips out there or are the 'good old days' gone forever with the advent of the new technology?

I feel for you, and even as local passholders somewhat in the same boat. Standby lines have become impossible in many cases and its not clear how passholders are going to be rolled into fastpast plus if at all. Besides many passholders dont plan ahead and dont want to. We just want to pop in and enjoy things, I really think Disney is trying to get rid of what use to be its bread and butter. I hate to say it but Im continuing to get the strong feeling that they really dont want us there its almost like being demoted yet we shell out some of the most money. And yes I feel the good ol days of enjoyability are being ruined with some of this tech stuff they are forcing down everyones throats. Too complex and too difficult, it just takes the fun out of it.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I feel for you, and even as local passholders somewhat in the same boat. Standby lines have become impossible in many cases and its not clear how passholders are going to be rolled into fastpast plus if at all. Besides many passholders dont plan ahead and dont want to. We just want to pop in and enjoy things, I really think Disney is trying to get rid of what use to be its bread and butter. I hate to say it but Im continuing to get the strong feeling that they really dont want us there its almost like being demoted yet we shell out some of the most money. And yes I feel the good ol days of enjoyability are being ruined with some of this tech stuff they are forcing down everyones throats. Too complex and too difficult, it just takes the fun out of it.

We're trying tro remain positive by thinking "It's just Disney rolling out a new system and we're just unlucky we don't fit in their trial audience yet, everyone will do eventually though and everything will go back to normal". However part of me feels that even if/when FP+ is available to all that the days of short stand by queues have pretty much gone forever. That would be a real shame and as you say would spoil what used to be a great perk when visiting 'off season' and just popping in.

mergatroid

Original Poster
being an ap prem. passholder u would think u can get all the perks of FP and magic bands

how is this possible or even reasonable?

Yes, it shocked me when spending around $1,500 that we don't qualify to use FP+. The lady did tell us however "That we could register on the site to see what was available even though we couldn't yet use it" (seriously she said this, it's like inviting a friend round to your house to watch you eat and drink and not let them in :))

On the plus side at guest relations today they did provide a nice AP card holder and booklet telling us the discounts we've been entitled to for the last 2 weeks as they had none when we originally purchased them, so every cloud eh.

dhsaddict83

Having read this (and the other 36 page thread titled "No Fastpasses available today"), I'm truly concerned with how Disney is planning on handling their APs like myself. This is the 1st year I've bought an AP and that was after staying at the Contemporary in 2011 for a Labor Day weekend mini-vacation (I just couldn't get enough, so I moved here instead :) ).
I checked the the prices of the Annual Passes for next year has already risen by 31.8%. That, in addition to the fact that I hear these ads on the radio all the time of Disney's "Seasonal" pass (and none for the "Annual" pass), and yea... I get the impression they don't want us APs either.
I've asked GR numerous times about when we (APs) will get our rubber bands, and they always reply with the exact same response (I think they're all trained on the best political answer to every question), "we're still testing MM+/FP+ and don't know when APs will get their bands."

In order to keep myself from going crazy w/ this issue, I have to reprogram myself to understand that since Disney Resort guests are paying more (both in time by planning a certain number of months in advance and obviously more money) to stay on campus, they get the extra perk entitlement of not having to wait in line (or they get the shorter [FP] line). By thinking in this manner, it's the only way I can prevent myself from feeling overflowingly outraged (outraged, yes... by the current situation and the possibility of being left out of FP+ completely).

I've also reprogrammed myself to understand that September-October is no longer the "off season" at Disney (truth be known, there is no slow/off season)!
Best of luck to you, and please do keep in touch as to when you decide to return next year (or later before your current AP expires).

Rob562

By thinking in this manner, it's the only way I can prevent myself from feeling overflowingly outraged (outraged, yes... by the current situation and the possibility of being left out of FP+ completely).

I'm still confused as to why people have been making these presumptions that AP holders *won't* get MagicBands or have access to FP+...

Here are a couple quotes from the Spring 2013 Mickey Monitor:
(https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...holderBenefits/mickey-monitor-spring-2013.pdf)

"As a Walt Disney World® Passholder, you will receive a MagicBand."

"Use your MagicBand to enter the Walt Disney World Parks or access your FastPass+ experiences you’ve selected."

"More Info to Come for Passholders! In the coming months, we will share more information on how MyMagic+ will enhance the Passholder experience. Look for details (via mail or email) on how you can start using FastPass+, how to get your MagicBand and much more!"

True, they said "in the coming months" and it's now 6+ months since that came out, but delays aside it's clear that plans are for Disney to give Bands and access to FP+ to AP holders. I don't get where or why people keep getting the idea that they're not.

-Rob

dhsaddict83

I'm still confused as to why people have been making these presumptions that AP holders *won't* get MagicBands or have access to FP+...
I don't get where or why people keep getting the idea that they're not.

Trust me, I have my fingers (and toes) crossed hoping we APs get them (and I remember reading that in Mickey's Monitor when it first came out too)!!!
And I like to consider myself much an optimist, but I dunno... I guess I just have unsettling fears about my worst nightmare coming true (of the APs getting shafted the short straw)!

DManRightHere

I doubt they will screw over annual passholders over fastpasses. Worst case scenario I am thinking you are not allowed to make advanced fastpasses until you are actually in a park.

mweier

To answer the original question, were you using touringplans.com? Using TP, We found plenty of short standby this past march and never waited more than 20 min standby (with plenty of walk on). Not sure if that's changing more recently due to FP+, but worth a shot next year.

mergatroid

Original Poster
To answer the original question, were you using touringplans.com? Using TP, We found plenty of short standby this past march and never waited more than 20 min standby (with plenty of walk on). Not sure if that's changing more recently due to FP+, but worth a shot next year.

Thanks very much for that, I'll take a look at that site.

Weather_Lady

I'm afraid it is changing due to FP+. Every attraction that has added it will now have a longer standby wait than it used to. (Unless they've increased the number of Fastpasses given out for the attractions that already had traditional FP and that used to "sell out" of FP by the end of every day, those lines should be about the same as before.)

rsoxguy

We have been going steadily for the past 21+ years. Consequently, we're pretty good at timing lines, Fastpasses, attractions, and walking. I'm sorry to hear that things were so hectic, but we do not encounter these troubles often. It can be done.

mweier

I'm afraid it is changing due to FP+. Every attraction that has added it will now have a longer standby wait than it used to. (Unless they've increased the number of Fastpasses given out for the attractions that already had traditional FP and that used to "sell out" of FP by the end of every day, those lines should be about the same as before.)

You're absolutely correct by the sounds of it - was just listening to this podcast from Len Testa (one of the brains behind Touring Plans) and he explained some of his rationale for why park capacity is being lowered by Disney (thereby raising wait times) due to the two overlapping FastPass systems. They've seen FP's evaporate faster in October than they used to on New Years, which is pure craziness caused by reduced volume of available old FPs. Similarly, standby times have risen considerably while this all sorts out. I encourage anyone reading this thread to listen:

http://www.wdwtoday.com/article.php?story=20131018082733840

I can only hope that the following will be true:
1) this is all sorted out by February when I go next, ideally by end of October!
2) Everyone gets FP+, not just on-property guests (I'm not a fan of how this works at Universal)
3) FP+ actually works as advertised in all parts of park (FP+, purchases,park admission, room key). Sounds like lots of beta bugs are rearing their heads this early in the rollout.
4) by killing old FP system, the reserved capacity for those passes is back in main circulation which means that barring any increase in park attendance, we don't see lines go up artificially due to people going to the front of the line in two different ways (and potentially having 6+ FP's per visitor if they're using FP+ reservations AND in-park old FP's)

Weather_Lady

You're absolutely correct by the sounds of it - was just listening to this podcast from Len Testa (one of the brains behind Touring Plans) and he explained some of his rationale for why park capacity is being lowered by Disney (thereby raising wait times) due to the two overlapping FastPass systems. They've seen FP's evaporate faster in October than they used to on New Years, which is pure craziness caused by reduced volume of available old FPs. Similarly, standby times have risen considerably while this all sorts out. I encourage anyone reading this thread to listen:

http://www.wdwtoday.com/article.php?story=20131018082733840

I can only hope that the following will be true:
1) this is all sorted out by February when I go next, ideally by end of October!
2) Everyone gets FP+, not just on-property guests (I'm not a fan of how this works at Universal)
3) FP+ actually works as advertised in all parts of park (FP+, purchases,park admission, room key). Sounds like lots of beta bugs are rearing their heads this early in the rollout.
4) by killing old FP system, the reserved capacity for those passes is back in main circulation which means that barring any increase in park attendance, we don't see lines go up artificially due to people going to the front of the line in two different ways (and potentially having 6+ FP's per visitor if they're using FP+ reservations AND in-park old FP's)

Unfortunately, the longer lines won't just be for attractions with "overlapping" Fastpass systems. Once FP+ is fully rolled out, there will be FP+ lines slowing down the queues at every single attraction that didn't offer traditional paper FP but which will have FP+. (E.g., Carousel of Progress, iasw, POTC). This means that even the old reliable "walk-ons" aren't going to be walk-ons anymore. FP+ lowers your wait for exactly 3 attractions per day -- the 3 for which you can use FP+ -- and increases your wait for everything else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom