it's over already?? 10/13-10/20 with plenty of pictures

My turn for a trip report!
Oh boy, where to start.
This is my first attempt writing a trip report, so stay with me, it might get a little long.
But I’ve got plenty of pictures!!

Ok, so this report is starring:
Myself (24)
Husband (26)
Mom, Dad, and Aunt
7 younger brothers and sisters (4 girls, 3 boys ages 3-16)

12 in total, on two sites at Fort Wilderness.

This was our third October trip in recent years (since 2003); I had also been in late November 2004, and the rest of the family last December (I missed that one for work). So we enjoy going around the holidays, and had been to mnsshp before.

A few general observations:
-crowds were very manageable, but definitely getting busier every year.
-2 years ago, I had noticed that CM’s were getting less magical and a little rude. This trip, we had very few negative encounters, and many magical ones. Service at the restaurants was mostly very good, and everyone was generally very pleasant.
-weather: the entire week before, the forecast had called for thunderstorms throughout our entire trip. We only saw rain twice:
for maybe an hour early afternoon before our mnsshp, and early in the morning on our last day. Other than that, it was beautiful. Hot and humid, but sunny and beautiful.

A week or two before the trip, I mentioned to my mom that we had always been very lucky in having very good weather each trip, and that nobody has been sick at wdw. Wouldn’t you know, the day we are to leave, I went to my family’s house to get ready to leave. My husband and dad were at work, and 4 of the kids were at school. The first call came early in the morning, the one in 7th grade had gotten sick on the bus. A few hours later, the 1st grader was sick and sent home. The last call came at the very end of the day; my 3rd grade sister had gotten sick just as school was let out and was not allowed to take the bus home, so we had to go pick her up.
My mom was about to strangle me, lol. She said it was my fault for having said that only a few weeks before. But it seemed to be a very quick bug; they got it out of their systems and were a little woozy and weak, but ok to go. Everyone piled into the motor home, and we began the 19 hour drive from northwest Indiana.

Alright, I’ll start the actual report next.
I’ve got 2,766 pictures to sort through, and I’m hoping they help me remember everything!!
This was my first trip with this new camera, and I was generally impressed with how well it worked.
I didn’t think I would be able to get anything as far as nighttime and fireworks, but it did ok (not great, but I have a few decent shots)

We also took our friend Kermit down, and took pictures of him all over the world. He snuck into a few group shots as well.
Maybe at the end I'll show off some of his solo pictures.

I tried to pick a font and size somewhat easy on the eyes, so let me know if it's not. :wave:

LuLaSue

Back at Tony’s. We were seated up front against the wall: very good seats to see Tony and the Gang, but the farthest wall from the exit and the bathroom (this becomes important).

71760c8c.jpg

Continued next[/quote]

Hurry....I need to know why...:D

PotteryGal

I am loving your trip report - you're a picture taking maniac! :lol: They're wonderful pics. I also enjoyed your description of the campgrounds - we had to postpone what would've been a trip to the World next week (long story :rolleyes:), so we are going next June instead and decided to upgrade to a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. We are very excited to check it out!

sissa216

Original Poster

We had fun with the characters, Tony serenaded us while we ate our eggs and Mickey Waffles, and the three youngest again got to stand up and dance for their recent birthdays.
A few pictures:

03f461c3.jpg

56c56290.jpg

41bdbd3d.jpg

8e729f85.jpg

Chip had some fun; he made my husband scoot over, sat in his seat, used his napkin and tried to eat his food:

34e6f2d5.jpg

Then, just as the birthday dance was ending, my husband suddenly felt sick (yep, it was his turn). So he tries to quietly make his way out to the bathroom, when Tony starts announcing that there are two anniversaries. Ours is a few weeks away, but my mom had put our names in. Tony says “where’s Carissa and Dan”. I raise my hand, and Tony says “where’s Dan” and I point to the exit, where he was standing very embarrassed and very sick. Tony says “oh, so after three years you’re already trying to escape?”. So he calls the couples up to dance, and I had to end up dancing with Goofy for my anniversary dance. He is still upset and embarrassed about it; I think it’s a funny story. So needless to say, this was his day to be sick, and he soon made his way back to sleep and get over it.

3e740443.jpg

Anyhow, the breakfast was over, and it was time for Mickey Mouse. Last time they did this, we were taken to a private area and allowed quite a bit of time with him, to take individual pictures and such. This time, they just brought him in and told us table by table to get up and take a picture with him. I like the old way better, but understand it probably took up a lot of time. What they did different this time was to give us “priority seating” aka fastpasses to Philharmagic. Everyone gets a pin (we did last time too), but this time it will get you into the attraction with no wait. I didn’t get to take advantage of it, however, as you’ll read soon.

1a6a0a50.jpg

The rest of the family decided they were not going back to AK, so I said that while he slept, I would go on quickly and do Everest, since I was not going to miss it this trip (I had never been since it opened). We head to the exit, when the double-decker bus is loading to take off. I had never taken any MS transportation, so he agreed to stay a few minutes so I could. We finished our ride, took a few pictures, and then were off.

4a369aab.jpg

20c78933.jpg

I don’t have any pictures of this part of the day, since the family wanted to keep my camera just in case (but wouldn’t you know, they took no pictures, lol). He headed back and I went on a quest to ride EE. After barely missing the monorail, then getting to the TTC and barely missing the bus (it pulled away as I ran up), and then waiting over 30 minutes for the next bus, I’m beginning to wonder if its worth it.
Then I finally arrived, made my way back, and got into the single riders line, and it looked like the standby line was going much quicker, and was empty. But I didn't get out of line for fear of losing my place, since I’d already waited 15 minutes; the line behind me was quite long, and I am really not familiar with the stand-by queue. So in all I probably waited half an hour in the single riders line: finally it was my turn. It was good, but I was disappointed. Maybe its because it had been hyped up to me for a year and a half as being the greatest WDW attraction, or maybe because of the frustration of getting there just to ride alone, but I wasn’t overwhelmingly impressed. But it was good.

The plan was also for me to check out the new Nemo show, but I didn’t feel like watching it alone. I’m very disappointed to have missed it; its one of the main things I was looking forward to this trip. But I’ll catch it next year.
So I went back to check on DH, who had had a few hours of rest by now. He still was not feeling too well, so I set his alarm for three hours later, and told him to either meet up with us or call me and let me know how he was feeling.

Back to MK next!!

sissa216

Original Poster
Hurry....I need to know why...:D
hehe its up, and kind of funny :D
I am loving your trip report - you're a picture taking maniac! :lol: They're wonderful pics. I also enjoyed your description of the campgrounds - we had to postpone what would've been a trip to the World next week (long story :rolleyes:), so we are going next June instead and decided to upgrade to a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. We are very excited to check it out!
Yeah, I am a maniac :hammer:
Sorry you had to postpone your trip (we put our upcoming December trip off til next year), but the way I look at it, you've got that much more time to enjoy counting down and looking forward to it!! The week after what would have been your trip, you won't be back with the blues, you'll still be looking forward to it!!
Have fun in the cabins, and let us know how they are!

sissa216

Original Poster

I made it back to the MK, taking my time by way of boat to the Contemporary, then catching the monorail. This was one of the times of the trip I remember actually noticing how wonderful the Crocs made my feet feel; not just a lack of pain, but noticeable comfort! I’m sold.

Anyhow, I met up with the family just as they were about to go into Pirates. (they had had Dole Whips without me). This was also my first time seeing the newer PoTC, and I have to say that I loved it. I think the new additions fit in very well, and only added to the story.

After that, we headed over to Splash. I hadn’t noticed on here, but I think the queue was changed since my most recent trip? Anyhow, we did two trips with FP’s they had gotten earlier.
I took a few pics during the rides:

d0347e56.jpg

b2d39e34.jpg

312962dc.jpg

And a picture that just cracks me up. This is my sister: she looks nuts. What you can’t see is that she was posing for the ride picture, pretending to scare my brother.

5b86e14b.jpg

So on to Haunted Mansion, which I was also very excited to see. I loved this as well. It has been discussed over and over, and I have nothing new to add besides how much I enjoyed all the new additions.

I tried to get a good picture of the bride, who is very creepy:

63f17e1c.jpg

Then DH called and said he was feeling better, and was at the entrance to MK. We were just about to grab lunch at Pinnochio’s Village Haus, so I went in with my sleeping youngest sister to wait for him, while everyone else rode IASW. We managed to grab three tables by the windows overlooking the ride, but unfortunately my pictures of the family didn’t turn out so well.

0969c525.jpg

We ate a very delicious lunch; none of us had eaten here before. I don’t remember what I had exactly; some sort of turkey sandwich, but it was delicious.

Then it was over to toontown for a little fun. We of course caught barnstormer, and my sister was so excited she was given a flik card (is that what they’re still called?)

64a23102.jpg

It was starting to get late, and this was our only chance this week to catch Spectromagic.

Earlier in the day, my sister had attempted to tape Dream Along with Mickey, but it had abruptly ended with an announcement that they would not be able to finish the show. So we caught the tail end of another show, and waited for the parade to start. I now wish that we had taped the end, because it is really the only part I like (well, the only part I've ever really seen, lol)

The rest of the family was up just beside the castle, but I wanted to get a few pictures with the castle in the background, so we were closer to the tomorrow land bridge, near the popcorn cart. Both us and the rest of the family had to deal with some rude people, as you will find at parades. But we were all there very early and deserved our front seats, so it didn’t bother me.
I sat back and watched the castle start to glow, and soon it was parade time.

Up next, a few spectro pictures:

sissa216

Original Poster

Ok, I know, its not like you've never seen pictures of Spectromagic before, but this is my turn :p

2b10e87b.jpg

f4bba148.jpg

d66621f7.jpg

ffca7cc3.jpg

5ddc4a7d.jpg

19baee80.jpg

524ebaad.jpg

There's a quick summary, I took a lot more :lol:
One more post coming up, for some reason it's saying I'm at my limit (maybe I can't count, but I've only got 9 :veryconfu)

sissa216

Original Poster
And last but not least for this day, a picture of a decorated site at Fort Wilderness. This was the site closest to the marina, next to the walkway from the 100 loop to the camp store.
I couldn't possibly capture all of the blow ups and lights they had, but it was very well done and very nice looking:

2aaa7e85.jpg

012ebb49.jpg

Alright, that's the end of this day. Three more days left!!
I'll write some more tomorrow morning (I know, you're on the edge of your seat :lol:)

rshell68

Okay I'm way too addicted to this thread!!! I'm loving it! So jealous of how good your Spectromagic pics turned out. Mine are always blurry :shrug:

sissa216

Original Poster
Smileys count as images. That's why. :D

Keep it coming!

:hammer: Duh, that makes sense! Thanks

Okay I'm way too addicted to this thread!!! I'm loving it! So jealous of how good your Spectromagic pics turned out. Mine are always blurry :shrug:

That's how I get too...I love reading everyone else's trip reports.
I'm glad you're enjoying it!
This was the first time I've ever had decent Spectro pictures; mine were always blurry before too. I practiced quite a bit with my camera at home just for this trip, and it paid off :)

trose61

so I have to be the first one to have done this....
starting a few years ago, I noticed I had a lot of pictures
of people in front of bathroom signs.

The many restroom signs of WDW, set to the tune of "We're all in this together" :lol: :p :ROFLOL:

This was just a hilarious! Great report!

Tami

sissa216

Original Poster

Day6-MK and MNSSHP
There is not too much to say about this day, but plenty of pictures.

This was the first and only day we decided to sleep in and regain some energy.
We decided to get up around 9 or so.
Because of this, the night before, my husband, my 16 year old sister and I decided to go for a walk late at night. We ended up checking out the area where Backyard BBQ is held (I haven’t been there in years), and over to the old entrance of River Country (well, as far as we could get before we ran into the big green walls). Several Cms on carts or trucks came by and didn’t say anything, so I assume we were allowed to be there? But anyhow, it is really eerie but very cool at night.

Back to the morning. I still ended up getting up sometime between 7 and 8 because I couldn’t sleep. I took my shower and got ready, and went for a walk. I realized how weird it was to be walking around here in the daylight, because it was always dark when we were leaving or arriving each day. I woke up everyone in my tent to get ready, and walked some more down to the campstore that is closer to the middle of the campground. I like this store much better than the one near the outpost; it probably carries a little bit more merchandise, and the atmosphere inside is much more cozy. If you are staying here soon and want to shop, go to this one instead.

Alright. Everyone was ready, and it was off to the Magic Kingdom. What luck again; we got there just as a boat was pulling up.

As we got in, we took a few pictures of our costumes.

435fcef3.jpg

81813679.jpg

2b6ec0c2.jpg

I think we headed straight for Cosmic Rays, since it was nearly lunchtime and we had early evening ADR’s for dinner.
Then it was time for Space, for the first time this trip.
This is also dear to my heart, since it’s where I spent my college program. I vaguely remembered a few faces, but not well enough to say anything. Turnover and rotating between locations is so high at wdw, it’s absolutely crazy.
I still love the ride, but it is getting a little too rickety. I haven’t even looked at the most recent rumors about a refurb (I know there’s a long thread out there now that I’m just too scared to open and go through), but it needs to be done, like maybe last year or so, lol.

So a few more pictures

7c411ac2.jpg

029f4986.jpg

576108f9.jpg

3d932f44.jpg

cecc95da.jpg

And off to the TTA, Buzz, and CoP.
This is another favorite, and an interesting tidbit that Jean Shepherd (the voice of John/the Dad) is from my parents hometown (we live just a few towns away now).
DH and I spent the rest of the trip trying to decide who could do the new voices if/when they update it; he really thinks Tom Hanks would be the best, but is out because of his ties to Woody. So our final vote goes to John Cusack, but we have no idea as far as the mom and kids go.

c1701bfc.jpg

44feaf26.jpg

More report after this
Edit:
I forgot to add that somewhere in here we finally saw Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, which we had all been anticipating.
We loved it! I thought it was very cute and entertaining, and would definitely check it out again.

sissa216

Original Poster

So after this we hit teacups, and went to get our wristbands for the party (bracelet count is at 3 now)

26a42e96.jpg

20437715.jpg

As soon as we got to the rose garden, the sky opens up. It was our first time seeing rain the entire trip (although the entire week before as we obsessively checked weather.com, it had called for thunderstorms every day).
It only lasted a few minutes, and we made our way towards frontier land. As soon as we get by the Christmas shop, it starts again, and I ran in to by a $7 poncho to protect my camera and camcorder. We hit Country Bear, and as soon as we come out, the rain is over. I think that was all the rain for the day….we were a little concerned at the time that it might continue and ruin our party, but after about 4:30/5:00 or so, we didn’t see a drop the rest of the night.

You can see how slick the ground was here

c0038594.jpg

Then of course a picture with one of the Indians
(and their best attempt to impersonate him)

68c858cd.jpg

We had 5:00 ADR’s at LTT, but we checked to see if we could get in a little early. To our surprise, they could seat us right away!! Good thing too, because within half an hour, the waiting area was full.
None of us had eaten here (I think this was the only new place for all of us), and we all really enjoyed it. We had two tables of six right next to each other, but two different servers. Ours was Mo, and he was very friendly and polite.

The characters were a lot of fun. Here are the pictures of dinner, before I continue with the party in another post:

0743ac7a.jpg

db86a6a4.jpg

3b7c5914.jpg

8d3a0194.jpg

d6150e82.jpg

791c336e.jpg

sissa216

Original Poster

The party
We headed towards Toontown for the kids to Trick or Treat while my dad went to buy that night’s pin.
I spent most of the night trying to get pictures (surprise, surprise)

b7d5aa07.jpg

After we met up with my dad again, we headed back to Liberty Square for HM, which had absolutely no line. I stood in the empty line, trying to take some pictures while they went to get candy.

925f8890.jpg

76b9f2f9.jpg

But soon I got a call that they were over near swiss family treehouse getting their faces painted.
This is one of my favorite parts of the party (yeah, I’m a dork). But I love getting my face painted.I think it is amazing how quickly they do such a very good job; you literally sit down, they wave their hands around and gently spread some makeup on your face, and its a masterpiece!

d98ac05d.jpg

aa59d12d.jpg

0ddfba0f.jpg

d5bc0350.jpg

f47c89a9.jpg

Then we hung out near those bathrooms in the walkway between Frontierland and Adventureland, listening to the first parade to go by (we would catch the second). This will give you a little insight into my disney dorky family: Every single kid knows every single word to the song, including the youngest (thank you mousebits, lol). Speaking of which, I forgot to mention that my mom had been searching for the MK Events CD all week, and finally bought it earlier this afternoon.

I don’t remember what happened here; I know we finally hit Haunted Mansion, and maybe got some more candy, but soon found ourselves back near the hub waiting for Hallowishes to start. The family went up closer to the castle, but DH and I went back to my favorite spot to try to get some pictures. I was very surprised at how empty the area was; if I’d wanted to, I could have sat down in the middle of the street and still had a clear view.

I have mixed feelings about this soundtrack; I love it, yet I hate it at the same time, lol. It is very fun and catchy, but something about it is maybe just a little too over the top for me. I really can’t put my foot on it, but I enjoyed the show just the same.
Pics in the next post,
after this (which turned out to be one of my favorite pictures): it's the unload of HM, a creepy picture of everybody leaving their doombuggies:
0860ed20.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom