Its Official...No More Surfing At Typhoon Lagoon

Siege898

Original Poster
I heard today at work that the surf lessons were being suspended until spring/summer 2009 due to a refurbishment with the wave pool. Apparently they are working with technology to be able to make larger waves. However, the wave pool will still be open during normal park hours during this time.

I'm sure there will be an announcement soon...

Laura

I heard today at work that the surf lessons were being suspended until spring/summer 2009 due to a refurbishment with the wave pool. Apparently they are working with technology to be able to make larger waves. However, the wave pool will still be open during normal park hours during this time.

I'm sure there will be an announcement soon...

THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! :sohappy:

I LOVE the wave pool!

rainfully

I saw there was a note on DRS about that today! I definitely want to dry that some day... but geez you gotta get up early! :lol:

imamouse

Our sons have been wanting to take a surfing lession at TL. I'm almost glad we hadn't gotten around to it yet as the new waves sound bigger and better.

uklad79

I don't see how they can make any bigger waves unless they raise the sides of the pool much higher. The current surfing waves are already to the top of the wall plus any more powerful waves would need a whole new pool because they would crash on the shore and wash all the sand and chairs back into the pool.

I call BS on this rumor.

Kamikaze

What a terrible, scare tactic, misleading title.

Why couldn't you just go with the truth 'no surfing lessons til 09'.

Its a refurbishment, not a closure.

Or do you advocate a thread in Jan (or whenever it finally gets announced) with a title of

'Its Offical ... No More Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom'

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
What a terrible, scare tactic, misleading title.

Why couldn't you just go with the truth 'no surfing lessons til 09'.

Its a refurbishment, not a closure.

Or do you advocate a thread in Jan (or whenever it finally gets announced) with a title of

'Its Official ... No More Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom'

Yes this title is terribly misleading.

Space Mountain

Terribly misleading to anyone not knowing about the problems with the wave pool.

• Surf lessons and wave patterns are stopped until the problems have been fixed. (Which means the earliest lessons will resume is January.)
  • As stated, this is because of technical problems, not any other issues.
  • The waves will most likely NOT increase in size after the refurbishment.
  • The wave pool will remain open to General Public, as long as possible.

Disneyfalcon

We did the surfing lessons this past September and I think we all agreed the waves were plenty big! Unless they were going to try to attract experienced surfers, I can't imagine why they would want them bigger.:)

ImaYoyo

The waves that are mentioned here are called "A-Frame Waves" that have a taller peak in the middle. Those are the types of waves that are used for Surf Parties and for surf classes that don't have younger children. They're taller in the middle and shorter on the ends, and are sometimes known as "Split Peak waves" because the peak splits to each side, so two surfers can ride one wave.

Red Line

I agree that the rumor on making the waves bigger is bs. Disney wouldn't want to make the waves bigger for normal operating hours, because quite frankly 75% of the people in the wave pool couldn't handle a bigger wave. For the lessons, they can already adjust as needed.

Has anyone heard the latest on the ron jon's surf complex? At one point they released pricing for the different pools, but I haven't heard anything about it in over a year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom