It's Official- Mcdonald's not renewing their contract

shoppingnut

tigsmom said:
Just going to point that out. This just means that there will be no more Disney toys in the McDonald's Happy Meals.

Directly taken from the above posted article...

Under the terms of the agreement, said to be worth $1 billion to Disney, McDonald's paid $100 million in royalties and conducted 11 promotions a year for Disney films, videos and TV shows, with seven aimed specifically toward the young Happy Meal consumers. Disney also agreed to let McDonald's set up shop inside its theme parks.

I don't think that is exactly what it means. When McDonald's went into this deal 10 yrs ago, it was so that they could get their restaurants "on property" and french fries in the parks and in exchange they had to offer disney toys. The deal was for 10 years. However, now they will not "have" to offer them, it will be more of a case by case (or movie by movie) deal. In the past 10 years, McD's has missed out on some good characters that Burger King has been able to gobble up in their kids meals, Dora for one comes to mind. Now all the fast food places will be bidding for disney toys, it won't be exclusive to McD's.

Personally, I have to laugh at the child obesity thing because all the CS places stuff is all bad for you pretty much. And I don't think the fast food places are to blame, but we as a society are to blame because everything is so rushed and we don't have time for anything anymore, not even a family dinner at night.

Bravesfn1

napnet said:
Yeah, it opened last week i think... here is a pic i took of it yesterday

Hey, I was wondering was the Village Fry Shoppe selling hot dogs too? Did you get a good look at them and if so do they look good? Just curious to see what the stand was offering. I heard they would be selling hot dogs some time ago. Thanks!

tigsmom

Bravesfn1 said:
Hey, I was wondering was the Village Fry Shoppe selling hot dogs too? Did you get a good look at them and if so do they look good? Just curious to see what the stand was offering. I heard they would be selling hot dogs some time ago. Thanks!

Hot dogs are said to be on the list as well as fries.

The McDonald stands in our local outlet mall sell hot dogs, fries & drinks.

Nicole

I wonder if the Happy Meal tie-ins helped Disney at all?? I'm sure they helped McDonalds to an extent, by getting some of us Disney fans to choose McDs over BK or whatever, but I doubt that the McDonalds marketing helped the movies.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
cac2889 said:
Well, and I don't mean this sarcastically towards you, but to the way they have to make sure everyone knows it, Countdown to Extinction has that obnoxious "...by a generous grant from the McDonald's corporation" spiel that plays every 15 seconds, so to me that makes me think they just donated a large sum of money, and don't actually do year-to-year sponsorship. Feel free anyone to correct me.

For others...make note that the article said that McDonald's products and stands in the parks will still remain and won't be effected.

While I agree that it is too frequent, the point of the "generous grant from..." scenario is a theme tie in with a museum/research facility/PBS whatever that requires and receives just that. I always thought it was a rather clever advertizing spin.

tigsmom

TimonRulz said:
Wow. Disney is pulling away. So the McDonald's in DTD will stay open, correct?

It has nothing to do with the restaurants in WDW, its the Disney toys in the Happy Meals!

AndyP

I think Disney is distancing itself from fast food in general, but I think it's important to note that you are never going to have theme-park food as a regular part of your diet and so it's not really a problem. Promoting fast food as part of a person's normal diet seems to be what Disney is distancing itself from.

bayoutinkbelle

Tahu said:
I hope Burger King will get Disney toys again. At least their food is a bit more edible.

I'd say that's a matter of opinion. Plus, can you just imagine the nightmares spawned if Disney were to co-brand with that freakin' creepy King? :eek: :eek:

he-guy

disney9752 said:
is crossroads property still owned by disney?? if so its 3 on property.:lookaroun

No, they don't own anything at the Crossroads since they stopped leasing that Disney store there (it was an outlet store right?) around 2002 or so. They sold the whole Crossroads property in 2000 for $15.8 million.

CJR

"Great! Now we can have TACO BELL disney meals...HMMM!"

I really don't think that'll happen. Taco Bell, in most places, is own by Pepsi. Disney is partnered with Coke. You probably won't see Disney at a place that serves Pepsi products. That is, usless they quit their partnership with Coke. It also wouldn't make sense to partner with another fast food corp when they ended it with Mc Donald's to keep away from promoting child obesity. After their reasons to quit partnering with Mc Donald's, Subway is the only one I could see Disney at.

jmvd20

dxer07002 said:
People, it is just the Happy Meals Disney will not be advertising with anymore.. McD's is not leaving WDW...

Don't think anyone is listening to this fact. See how easy rumors get started from quick headline blurbs :brick: :brick: :hammer: :hammer:

aszelinski

Makes you wonder how much of these recent changes/ rumors of change have been influenced by the new CEO. McDonalds, Kodak, Disney Quest, Timekeeper, etc....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom