"It's not the 'Happiest Place on Earth!'" - or Disney misconceptions

Sora

:brick: :brick: :brick:

Wow.....all I can say is...wow. This thread is crazy. :hammer:

But to be serious, I don't understand the whole argument. Who CARES where its located exactly to the lattitude and longitude mapped out on the GPS. Who cares what it's name is, making sure to enunciate every syllable precisely.

Do you enjoy your time there? Is it one of the happiest places on earth?!?! (Mine being there and a really well-stocked toys r us:D )

If you answered yes to both of the above questions, then congrats, call it whatever your heart desires. That's what the rest of us do. We're not losing any sleep over it. We smile, think happy thoughts, and know that the fact is this. Some people may call it a wrong name, or say it's located in the wrong place, but if it makes you happy, then thats cool. After all, people KNOW what your talking about. Most of the time your in the park anyway, just go with the flow like the rest of us....

And besides, Disneyland could pass off it's moniker of the "Happiest place on Earth" for, (and please don't kill me for this!) "Happiest place on Earth in need of the surgeon like hands of this old house".:D

dimshady81

Originally posted by figmentmom
In all the years we've vacationed at WDW, I've NEVER heard it referred to as the "happiest place on earth!"

I always reffered to it as the happiest place on earth and have remembered it being call that. For you to use caps when you say NEVER it seems as if you wouldn't agree with it???? Funny though because you keep going back. If you don't agree with it being the happiest place why do you continue to vacation there years after year?:confused:

gjpjtj

Originally posted by dimshady81
I always reffered to it as the happiest place on earth and have remembered it being call that. For you to use caps when you say NEVER it seems as if you wouldn't agree with it???? Funny though because you keep going back. If you don't agree with it being the happiest place why do you continue to vacation there years after year?:confused:

We are not arguing the fact that WDW is one of the happiest places on earth, (I think we can all agree that it is). What the discussion is about is how the slogan "The happiest place on earth" really was created for Disneyland, not WDW.

Okay, the more I write on this the more ridiculous it sounds.:hammer:

Fido

Some people I know who haven't been to either (DL or WDW) remain in constant confusion as to which is which. I try to tell them that Disneyland was the original, and WDW is MUCH larger, so think of it as a 'world' as opposed to a 'land'. Not that it does any good. :lol:

The following things drive ME crazy:

1) People referring to the Magic Kingom as "Disney World." The nerve!

2) People referring to "Walt Disney World" as just "Disney World," or, heaven forbid, "Disney."

3) People referring to "Epcot" by the name "Epcot Center" or "EPCOT Center" (with the caps - can you imagine?)

4) People who refer to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority as the Peoplemover.

5) People who don't stay on property and say "I'm going to Disney World for vacation" instead of this proper statement:

"I'm going to stay at a motel located adjacent to Route 192 in Kissimmee, Florida on my vacation (arriving at Orlando's airport, but by no means visiting Orlando), and I will be making daily excursions into Lake Buena Vista, Florida to visit the four theme parks - named 'The Magic Kingdom,' 'Epcot', 'Disney/MGM Studios' (unless you're in the EU, where it's properly referred to as just 'Disney Studios', and 'Disney's Animal Kingdom' - on property owned by the Disney company, and referred to, as a whole (including several other attractions, hotels, restaurants, shops, and sporting activities), as 'Walt Disney World'"

Sorry, just having a little fun here!

rosie.ca

personally i think people refer to it as in orlando because that is the airport they use ... i live just north of toronto but if anyone asks where i live i say toronto because it is easier to explain and better understood by people who hve never been there...and while wdw may not be THE happiest place on earth, it is MY happiest place on earth

WDWspider

Originally posted by FourFourSeven
The following things drive ME crazy:

1) People referring to the Magic Kingom as "Disney World." The nerve!

2) People referring to "Walt Disney World" as just "Disney World," or, heaven forbid, "Disney."

3) People referring to "Epcot" by the name "Epcot Center" or "EPCOT Center" (with the caps - can you imagine?)

4) People who refer to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority as the Peoplemover.

5) People who don't stay on property and say "I'm going to Disney World for vacation" instead of this proper statement:

"I'm going to stay at a motel located adjacent to Route 192 in Kissimmee, Florida on my vacation (arriving at Orlando's airport, but by no means visiting Orlando), and I will be making daily excursions into Lake Buena Vista, Florida to visit the four theme parks - named 'The Magic Kingdom,' 'Epcot', 'Disney/MGM Studios' (unless you're in the EU, where it's properly referred to as just 'Disney Studios', and 'Disney's Animal Kingdom' - on property owned by the Disney company, and referred to, as a whole (including several other attractions, hotels, restaurants, shops, and sporting activities), as 'Walt Disney World'"

Sorry, just having a little fun here!

Remind me to never have a conversation with you. :lol: I know all the correct terms for Disney Properties, but I find myself calling Walt Disney World just Disney from time to time. I do a few of the others you mentioned also.

You know, now that CA is the Disneyland Resort, has Disneyland become an unofficial Magic Kingdom park?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by MouseMadness
This thread is taking political correctness to a whole nother level!! Goodness, I'd best be watchin' what I say!:lookaroun

Hey!!! You dropped the "g" on "watching"! I HATE it when people drop the "g" on "watching"!

:lol:

WDWspider

Here's a real one. I hate it when people assume that either MGM Studios is all part of Universal Orlando or, even worse, people think Universal is all part of Walt Disney World.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I also hate it when people ask about the glass transition temperature of fluoroelastomers. I mean HELLO people! Its not like they’re crystalline, they’re amorphous. Say it with me: a-m-o-r-p-h-o-u-s.

Originally posted by Matandtrav'smom
Try explaining to a 4 yr. ol that when he was at Animal Kingdom he was still at Disney World. He thought that only the Magic Kingdom could be Disney.
My 4 yr old got it. As long as Mickey and company are there, we're at Disney, in her eyes.

Originally posted by spider-man
I hate when people use all CAPS to stress something. :fork:

ME TOO! I simply CAN'T STAND IT!

I also hate it when people use run on sentences they really shouldn't do that.

lack of proper capitalization and punctuation is annoying too

And anyone who makes judgements about a person from what they post on a forum is an utter and complete idiot.

Back to the topic at hand - I actually do get annoyed when people think Epcot is a separate entity from Disney. Many years back, when Epcot first opened, you would see travel agency advertisements in the paper that said "Great rates near Disney and Epcot." To me, that's like saying "Great hotel near New York City and Manhattan."

MouseMadness

Just so you know... I had to explain several times to my mom that Magic Kingdom is not "Disney World"... and somebody else (can't remember who right now) that epcot was not just space ship earth. But I can't say that I was ever truly offended. I save being offended for stuff that actually, I don't know, matters. Like in two weeks, when I'm suddenly a blonde again, and people will assume it's not natural! *rolls up sleeves and gets ready to throw down*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom