"It's not the 'Happiest Place on Earth!'" - or Disney misconceptions

MouseMadness

Originally posted by garyhoov
I also hate it when people ask about the glass transition temperature of fluoroelastomers. I mean HELLO people! Its not like they’re crystalline, they’re amorphous. Say it with me: a-m-o-r-p-h-o-u-s.

Thank goodness somebody's not afraid to take a stand!! Go on with your bad self, gary!

rosie.ca

actually i like it when people get things wrong about disney...cuz then i get to correct them and go off on my disney speeches ... i once spent 6.5 hrs talking about disney ...straight.
until 3 am ...

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by garyhoov
I also hate it when people ask about the glass transition temperature of fluoroelastomers. I mean HELLO people! Its not like they’re crystalline, they’re amorphous. Say it with me: a-m-o-r-p-h-o-u-s.

LMAO

okay thank goodness
cuz i cant even SAY fluoroelastomers!!

(i tried):hammer:

strobe

Originally posted by Quentin Disney
For some reason, it really irritates me whenever someone says this. For the longest, many have acknowledged Disneyland as "The Happiest Place on Earth". However, many folks are now applying this to WDW. I my opinion, the original Disneyland is deserving of this title ONLY. It really gets my goat when people refer to WDW as that. I hope the "Where Magic Lives" campaign gets this slogan out of minds of people who incorrectly use this slogan.

Another thing misconception that bugs me is that most people believe WDW is in Orlando. While WDW property is very close to Orlando, people should know that it is in Lake Buena Vista. It's like saying that Disneyland is in Los Angeles. I almost never hear anyone say its in LA. Apparently, people are too lazy to say "Lake Buena Vista" now or days.

As a Disney Cast Member, I feel it's very important to refer to things correctly. Personally, I feel that refering to WDW in Orlando is misleading information and thus very ignorant. Many news publications do this as well and it really irritates me.

Just another little rant. I rarely speak out on these boards these days, but I'm in a posting groove right now. My writer's block has been bulldozed.

Did you say that you are a cast member? :eek: :lookaroun

strobe

Originally posted by FourFourSeven
The following things drive ME crazy:

1) People referring to the Magic Kingom as "Disney World." The nerve!

2) People referring to "Walt Disney World" as just "Disney World," or, heaven forbid, "Disney."

3) People referring to "Epcot" by the name "Epcot Center" or "EPCOT Center" (with the caps - can you imagine?)

4) People who refer to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority as the Peoplemover.

5) People who don't stay on property and say "I'm going to Disney World for vacation" instead of this proper statement:

"I'm going to stay at a motel located adjacent to Route 192 in Kissimmee, Florida on my vacation (arriving at Orlando's airport, but by no means visiting Orlando), and I will be making daily excursions into Lake Buena Vista, Florida to visit the four theme parks - named 'The Magic Kingdom,' 'Epcot', 'Disney/MGM Studios' (unless you're in the EU, where it's properly referred to as just 'Disney Studios', and 'Disney's Animal Kingdom' - on property owned by the Disney company, and referred to, as a whole (including several other attractions, hotels, restaurants, shops, and sporting activities), as 'Walt Disney World'"

Sorry, just having a little fun here!

Uh oh - now you went and did it. The correct name at the end of your post should read "The Walt Disney World Resort". Shame on you - get it right next time!!! :animwink:

VERY MUCH kidding :lol: :D :D

TomDisney

Originally posted by FourFourSeven
The following things drive ME crazy:

3) People referring to "Epcot" by the name "Epcot Center" or "EPCOT Center" (with the caps - can you imagine?)

Well, technically, it can be referred to as E.P.C.O.T. :lol: :lol:

jcmayid

Geez, take a chill pill. Regardless people are going to ORLANDO and spending THEIR money to pay YOUR salary. Even if they refer it as Cleveland, you shouldn't care. Just smile. Would you know what I am talking about if I said Hialeah? NO, I'd have to say Miami for you to get a clue. Everyone knows where Orlando is, but not everyone knows where Lake Buena Vista is anyways.

Originally posted by strobe
Uh oh - now you went and did it. The correct name at the end of your post should read "The Walt Disney World Resort". Shame on you - get it right next time!!!
Please accept my most heartfelt apologies for such an embarassing, and truly outrageous mistake. I will get it right from now on. Here is my amended statement, with some other corrections:

"I'm going to stay* at a motel located adjacent to Route 192 in Kissimmee, Florida on my vacation (arriving at Orlando's airport, but by no means visiting Orlando), and I will be making daily excursions into Lake Buena Vista, Florida to visit the four theme parks - named 'The Magic Kingdom***,' 'Epcot', 'Disney/MGM Studios'** and 'Disney's Animal Kingdom***' - on property owned by the Disney company, and referred to, as a whole (including several other attractions, hotels, restaurants, shops, and sporting activities), as 'The Walt Disney World Resort'"

*"stay" is defined as "sleep, shower, and dress at", and does not imply that my entire vacation will be spent at this location - I may indeed venture away from the motel, not only for the aformentioned excursions into Lake Buena Vista, Florida, but also to dine at establishments that may or may not be affiliated with either the motel I am sleeping, showering, and dressing at, or any resort located in Lake Buena Vista, Florida or elsewhere in the relative vicinity, including, but not limited to "The Walt Disney World Resort."

**If you reside in the EU, please refer to aforementioned park as simply 'Disney Studios'.

***Despite their names, the Magic Kingdom and Disney's Animal Kingdom are not recognized sovereign kingdoms, countries, or entities separate from the United States of America, and are not, in fact, ruled by kings. All laws and regulations of the United States of America, the state of Florida, and the town of Lake Buena Vista, Florida still applied when I visited these theme parks.

I hope this statement is acceptable. I will ensure anyone who says "I'm going to Disney" uses a statement such as this in the future!

RAZORBRAD

Wow this has to be the worst cry baby thread over nothing I have ever read. It is almost funny just reading how such small things can bother a person. Oh well my only advice is GET OVER IT. Disney parks in Orlando is my happiest place on earth.

Erika

Originally posted by Quentin Disney

Another thing misconception that bugs me is that most people believe WDW is in Orlando. While WDW property is very close to Orlando, people should know that it is in Lake Buena Vista. It's like saying that Disneyland is in Los Angeles. I almost never hear anyone say its in LA. Apparently, people are too lazy to say "Lake Buena Vista" now or days.

I think it's normal to refer to the nearest large city. If I'm hanging out in Arizona and someone asks where I am from, I say "Chicago" even though I have always lived pretty far out in the burbs. They get the idea :animwink:

Yellow Shoes

Like Erika said, it makes things easier to refer to the nearest city.

My in-laws were from suburban Chicago. Whenever someone asked them where they lived, they would say, La Grange, IL. They would then have to explain that it was near Chicago, and get really ticked that no one had heard of it.

(Generally speaking, they got ticked off pretty easily and regularly)

But, because Erika is much more easy going, she would cut to the chase and say she was from "Chicago."

If you knew anything about Chicago, you might ask her where in Chicago. Then you would get the name of her 'burb, talk about the Cubs, Italian beef, what was Mayor Daley thinking?, etc.

Of course, if you were from St. Louis and talking to someone from St. Louis, they would just ask what high school you went to.........

Erika

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Like Erika said, it makes things easier to refer to the nearest city.

My in-laws were from suburban Chicago. Whenever someone asked them where they lived, they would say, La Grange, IL. They would then have to explain that it was near Chicago, and get really ticked that no one had heard of it.

(Generally speaking, they got ticked off pretty easily and regularly)

That's because they're from Chicago :lol:

But, because Erika is much more easy going, she would cut to the chase and say she was from "Chicago."

If you knew anything about Chicago, you might ask her where in Chicago. Then you would get the name of her 'burb, talk about the Cubs, Italian beef, what was Mayor Daley thinking?, etc.

ROFLMAO

EpcoTim

Re: Re: "It's not the 'Happiest Place on Earth!'" - or Disney misconceptions

Originally posted by Erika
I think it's normal to refer to the nearest large city. If I'm hanging out in Arizona and someone asks where I am from, I say "Chicago" even though I have always lived pretty far out in the burbs. They get the idea :animwink:

Born in the burbs, lived on the Northside......all I can say is....GO CUBS.
I took an entire summer off work to catch their games, you better beleive Cubs fans are die hard. My great Uncle was from LaGrange also...I also lived in Tempe for awhile, and all Illinoisians used the "Chicago" thing, it was common and funny. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom