Trip Report It's Not Goodbye, It's "See Ya Real Soon, AP"/ SSR December trip report *COMPLETED*

Hi everybody! We are back from our last trip from this whirlwind Annual Pass year. Sadly, we have decided to be all responsible and stuff this next year, doing household improvements and repairs. Boo. For DH, it comes at a good time, as he is feeling he needed a break anyway. Definitely not me!! We have plans to get the AP in another year or two again...

This report might not happen quickly, though it is a shorter one, with the holidays (swiftly!) approaching. I'll be headed to Pennsylvania for a few days with family, so not sure when I'll be able to work on it. It might even be best to wait until after the holidays, but we'll see....BUT if you need motivation to read it....this report *mayormaynot* contain a visit with our favorite Disney "character"...

We'll start with the specifics:

WHO: DH, Dave (Mrhappyplace) and me, Amber
WHEN: December 14-17, 2017
WHERE: Saratoga Springs Resort, Studio

Something new we did, was the Keys to the Kingdom Tour...stay tuned for all of the details and pictures!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Our next FP was at Pirates, so we kept on in that direction. We stopped at the Tangled restrooms because something Melody had mentioned on our tour was that there were hidden Pascals in the area where the charging stations are. And lo and behold, we noticed this sign, which we've never taken the time to notice before.
IMG_7606 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We looked for some time, and just when we were about to give up, I spotted one! Then DH did, and we were then able to find several. It was a cute little game.
IMG_7605 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7607 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7608 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7609 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7610 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

As we continued our walk, I realized I hadn't had a Mickey bar yet, which needed to be rectified immediately.
IMG_7611 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had an enjoyable ride on Pirates, though I will agree with everyone who says the camera is in the STUPIDEST place ever. Hence my face. I also enjoyed hearing the person that said the drop was something new.
Screenshot_20171217-204247 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After Pirates, we decided to do the Tiki Room, as DH hadn't ever seen it. I was fairly certain, but asked just to be sure, if food was allowed in. Answer was yes, so we planned on getting the pineapple upside down cake from Aloha Isle, but the line was quite scary!! So we went back into the Tiki Room empty-handed (for now). While waiting for the show to begin, I placed a mobile order...our first time trying it.
IMG_7613 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7614 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

When the show was over, I clicked "I'm here" on the app, walked over to the line, and boom...ready! LOVED the whole process...there was no one in the mobile order line, and the regular line was HUGE.
IMG_7615 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

You can't see the mobile ordering line in this pic (It's all the way around to the left) but this is the regular line, or part of it...it actually extended to under the shortcut to Frontierland
IMG_7616 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We wanted to find a place to sit and eat our treat, and wound up all the way over by the Liberty Tree stone wall. DH was worried it would melt, but we were all good, and I had a goal of seeing if we could ever (FINALLY) catch the other showing of Muppets Moments in History...we had only ever seen the Declaration of Independence, and never the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.
IMG_7617 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7618 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7619 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Alas, it was the Declaration again...so we finished our cake (which was delicious) and used the path behind the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe to get back to Main Street.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We went back to the glass shop on Main Street, and had a good look around. Oh if we were rich!
IMG_7620 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7621 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7622 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We made the purchase that I mentioned earlier (glass Christmas tree) and then set out to take some more pictures of Hidden Mickeys mentioned on our tour, as well as some general Main Street photos.

I hadn't ever noticed until our tour pointed out, but there are Mickey's all along the rail above the train station. All of the taller pieces have a Mickey on them...see?
IMG_7624 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

This is probably my favorite, formed by standing in a certain spot (where slabs of concrete meet) just in front of the train station, before the flag pole. If you look up, the ceiling medallions form a Mickey
IMG_7626 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We realized that we were close to Flag Retreat time, so we found a spot. The older gentleman CM preventing people from walking through also had a blue name tag on, so I told him that we learned today what the blue name tag means and congratulated him, and he looked very modest, flattered, and almost embarrassed at such an honor (not that me mentioning it was the honor, rather the receiving of it)

IMG_7627 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7629 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7628 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7633 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7632 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7631 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7630 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After the Flag Retreat Ceremony, we took just another minute to soak in Magic Kingdom, and then made our way out...it's not goodbye it's see ya real soon!!

Monorail passed by as we were leaving
IMG_7634 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And a beautiful sunset happening as we waited (for quite awhile, as we arrived JUST as they closed the gate) for the boat to Wilderness Lodge.
IMG_7636 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7637 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We were quite entertained by the family that arrived right after us: Mom, Dad, and 2 daughters (who we would find out were 4 and 9) They had on Star Wars outfits. The 4 year old walked right up to me and stood very close, looking up at me, and I said "you girls don't like Star Wars, do you?", and they proceeded to tell me that their mom made their outfits. The 4 year old told me that she "liked the dark side"! They were very cute and entertaining, and before too long a boat came for us. On our way to my favorite resort for dinner!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
As soon as we got to the resort, it was close enough to our ADR time that we checked in, and were taken in very quickly. I've eaten at Artist Point before in February, but DH hadn't...we added it later than our other ADRs since it would be our last meal in WDW for quite awhile, we wanted a nicer place (and I couldn't get a Cali Grill).
IMG_7638 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

THIS. This is what I was anticipating by eating here, and as before, it didn't disappoint! The mushroom bisque is delish, and if they had an entree portion, I'd totally get it.
IMG_7639 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And the bread, which is also good. The smoked sea salt is yum.
IMG_7640 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I can't remember our server's name...oops...but he took our picture when the mains came out (it took a little while for the mains)
IMG_7641 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I went with the venison osso buco with the cauliflower mash...very good! I was always one of the people who rolled my eyes when people watching their carbs ate mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, but they tasted very similar.
IMG_7642 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH went with the salmon
IMG_7643 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Trying to capture the murals in the restaurant
IMG_7646 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After our meal, we explored WL a bit. We also did some good pin trading there, the first time we actually did it this trip (we did buy a Saratoga Springs pin earlier)
IMG_7649 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We also took Woody's advice and went up to the 7th floor to see the view:
IMG_7650 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7652 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7651 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7653 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Don't you just want to curl up with a good book in front of this fire?
IMG_7655 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7656 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We had one more destination in mind, so we set out for the WL bus stop. For what would be our longest travel time EVER. We sat at the bus stop for Disney Springs for about a half hour before a bus showed up, full. A woman (who had a ECV guest) was sitting at the bench beside us, but the driver didn't have room to load the ECV guest because, again, full. We boarded and had to stand, which was fine. The driver said that he would contact someone for another bus for them. The bus then went to Contemporary, where some more people got out, so we were able to get a seat. But not everyone got out so we were really confused as to where they came from? One of the people had a bag from a DS shop (can't remember which right now) so we had no clue what was going on...whatever, at least we'd be on our way to Disney Springs now. Right? Nope. BACK TO WL we go!! Not a soul at the bus stop...we're guessing he was going back to check and see if the woman and her party were still there? They weren't. Finally then, we were on our way to DS...and after sitting through much traffic, we got there. Whew!

Hadn't seen this tree on the the other end
IMG_7657 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I liked these color changing ornaments in the planters.
IMG_7658 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7659 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7660 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Our destination was Amorette's Patisserie
IMG_7661 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7662 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

It was hard to make a decision but we went with one Mickey Mousse and one Ornament
IMG_7663 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

(taken back at the room)
IMG_7664 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

That's the last picture guys waaaaaahhhhh :(

We walked to the boat dock and had quite a wait there as well, but finally made it on a boat and back to our resort. Once I dropped off the desserts (and DH) I grabbed the gift cards I had wanted to apply to our balance (but forgot to take with me that morning) and walked back to the front desk. We left the next morning at around 7 I believe, for an uneventful trip back home. Sorry all of my reports end so abruptly it seems.

Thanks everyone for reading, hope you enjoyed!!

Last edited:

KatieLVT

I really enjoyed your trip report. Your pictures are amazing! And I really liked the facts from the tour, too. Sorry you will be taking a break from WDW, but I'm sure you'll be back before you know it!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I really enjoyed your trip report. Your pictures are amazing! And I really liked the facts from the tour, too. Sorry you will be taking a break from WDW, but I'm sure you'll be back before you know it!
Thank you for reading and for the picture compliment!! I am too, but guess we have to be all adult and stuff. Boo :( :p I may make a trip in 2019 so it won't be too long, we were spoiled this year for sure.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I liked your TR, too, and am happy you posted it here for many to enjoy. Your photos were very pleasant--so many I can't comment on all. In this most recent batch, I'm glad you took the time to take pictures of the flag ceremony. Those were very nice.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I liked your TR, too, and am happy you posted it here for many to enjoy. Your photos were very pleasant--so many I can't comment on all. In this most recent batch, I'm glad you took the time to take pictures of the flag ceremony. Those were very nice.
Thank you kindly! It was such a nice ceremony, I'm so glad they do it. Thanks for reading!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some final thoughts:

- overall, SSR was a pleasant resort. There were some things, as mentioned, in the room that were a little rundown; the outer hallways, walls, light fixtures etc could use a pressure wash or paint refresh; it didn't look as "maintained" as other deluxes or even moderates. It also had the exterior hallways unlike other deluxes. Also, what is with these resorts putting the bed so close to the wall on one side, how is a person supposed to get in and out without disturbing their partner....seems like the couch and the bed could've been switched. I did like that since the room wasn't refurbished recently, it still had the bed runner, but that was about the only benefit. We do always appreciate staying at the resorts that have 2 (or more) types of transportation. I mentioned in our earlier post about a "mess" left on the sidewalk...it was there the entire time we were there...the sprinkler system eliminated some of it, but it was still noticeable the whole time. Now I know that at such a sprawling resort, every inch of sidewalk isn't walked every day by CMs but still. I do wish it would've been a longer trip so that we could've tried the pools. We had no trouble with the buses to or from SSR, all bus waits were short, and we had a seat on them all.

- Dining: I enjoyed all of our meals, though I probably wouldn't go to Spice Road unless I wanted the view for Illuminations; Yak & Yeti was ok; I loved Homecomin' and Artist Point.

I forgot to mention that DH kept saying to me, everytime we'd see someone who was also wearing rose gold ears, "do you feel less special?"

I think that's it...unless I think of anything else.

lostpro9het

but that was about the only benefit.
You didn't care for the parking? All our SSR stays allowed us to park really close to our room which we liked.

Artist Point..
So, good! That soup alone is worth the visit.

I forgot to mention that DH kept saying to me, everytime we'd see someone who was also wearing rose gold ears, "do you feel less special?"
I'm with your DH in this one...I just don't get it.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
You didn't care for the parking? All our SSR stays allowed us to park really close to our room which we liked.

So, good! That soup alone is worth the visit.

I'm with your DH in this one...I just don't get it.

The parking was awesome, yes! Forgot to mention that, we were able to park just near the stairs of our building. Also, DH just mentioned, we can't not comment on the price...very nice.

YES.

They are PRETTY.

krause

I really enjoyed your trip report! I am dying to do Keys to the Kingdom one day and loved reading all the things you learned! :happy:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you're on Twitter, and not aware, you can send a tweet using #CastCompliment to Walt Disney World Today, and they will print out the compliment and give it to the cast member(s). Here is Michael and Melody from our tour with theirs!
Screenshot_20180120-160149.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

another great report I need to catch up on.

Love the pics - some really nice one in Morocco! Looks like a fun day alone at DHS. Maybe I missed it, where did you get the Butterfinger cupcake? I loved the Red Velvet one at Starring Rolls!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
another great report I need to catch up on.

Love the pics - some really nice one in Morocco! Looks like a fun day alone at DHS. Maybe I missed it, where did you get the Butterfinger cupcake? I loved the Red Velvet one at Starring Rolls!

Thanks, fractal!

I really do enjoy those mornings in DHS...that park just makes me happy to walk around and enjoy the ambiance. Of course, two of my favorite rides are there, so that is a plus too, but there's just something about the decorations (any time of year), music, and feel of DHS that makes me happy.
The cupcake used to come from Starring Rolls as well, but they are now all at the Starbucks/ Trolley Car Cafe.

PacNWTigger

What a fun trip report!! I LOVED the tiger pics and the spoilers from the Kingdom tour because it will give me something to point out to my guy when we're there in May.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom