It's not 300 million, but there are confirmed changes

TURKEY

Original Poster
Whirlwind of change ahead for Epcot pavilion
By Robert Johnson , Orlando Sentinel
Sentinel Staff Writer

August 29, 2002

After three years of sponsoring exhibits in the Innoventions pavilion at Disney World's Epcot, Xerox and a nonprofit group are pulling out and two new sponsors will take their place.

The Xerox display, in which Disney employees photograph guests and print the pictures on Xerox copiers, will be discontinued at the end of September.

"We simply chose to redirect some of this marketing activity to areas more closely linked to our primary customer base," said Christa Carone, a spokeswoman for Xerox, based in Stamford, Conn.

The Radiological Society of North America, a nonprofit group, also is leaving next month. That company's display was designed to show what a radiologist's role is in health care.

"While we were very pleased with what the project accomplished, we are ready to try something else," said Peggy Fritzsche, a doctor and head of the exhibit committee for the Radiological Society, based in Oak Brook, Ill.

Taking their places: Underwriters Laboratories and Whirlpool Corp.

The changing of the guard is a familiar one at Epcot's Innoventions, where there have been 20 new sponsors since 1994, a replacement rate more than double that of the individual corporate pavilions such as ExxonMobil's World of Energy.

One reason for the high turnover rate at Innoventions is the relatively low sponsorship fee -- essentially an advertising charge: typically $4 million or so to set up an exhibit with Disney's help and about $1 million a year to maintain and staff. Those white-smocked attendants at the radiological display aren't really nuclear technicians, they're theme park employees.

Disney World doesn't usually seek long-term commitments from Innoventions sponsors. Only IBM Inc. and Motorola Corp. have maintained a presence there for the pavilion's entire two-decade history.

Most sponsors are required to sign contracts of only three years, and Disney doesn't encourage them to stay longer.

"The purpose of Innoventions is to provide fun experiences for our guests that are centered around innovation and technology," said Rena Callahan, a Disney World spokeswoman. "Because of the nature of the attraction, sponsors generally come in for a brief time and then move on."

Barbara Guthrie, director of consumer affairs for Underwriters Laboratories, a not-for-profit company that tests everything from air conditioners to television sets and issues its seal-of-approval to those that pass, said Epcot is an excellent marketing venue.

"We wanted to reach a broad audience in an interactive setting, and Disney is an expert in that area," Guthrie said.

She would not describe details of the Underwriters display but expects it to open near the end of this year or in early 2003.

Spokesmen at Whirlpool, based in Benton Harbor, Mich., said their company's exhibit will include the "latest innovative advancements and futuristic product concepts in home appliances . . ." The sponsorship will expand the presence of some Whirlpool products already displayed at Innoventions, including the "Personal Valet" system for removing wrinkles from clothes.

Robert Johnson can be reached at 407-420-5664 or rwjohnson@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...082902aug29.story?coll=orl-business-headlines

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm all for anything that can make Innoventions a little more fun that it is now. It seems that I either never go in there, or walk through rather quickly.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Fievel
I'm all for anything that can make Innoventions a little more fun that it is now. It seems that I either never go in there, or walk through rather quickly.

Same here Fievel..... I usually just breeze right thru it after I ride SE...cause I dont really wanna get caught up in something in there...and waste time that could be spent in other parts of the park...I am going to check out the segway though in a couple of weeks :)

raven

I too just walk right through, just to get a look at the sites. I rarely stop to see anything. I have an agenda when I go to Epcot.

Sherm00

i don't know, but last time we went down at the begining of august me and my wife spent alot of time in there, we spent close to an hour just playing the video games. ok I admit it was more me then my wife, I admit it I AM A GEEK..

yankeeboy1638

wow I didn't even know Xerox stil sponsored something in Innoventions, considering the company has bascally flushed itself down the toilet the past 10 years. Maybe there is a chance that maybe a company with a more sound financial future will come and help put something in Innoventions that will actually get people to spend time in there.

kaos

All I have to say is...

Check out the Lutron home theatre. It rocks.

Everything else kinda blows.. except for the house of the future.

DisneyPhD

We still stop at the email a picture station and send them to everyone we know. We take like 10 different ones and print them all up. Hey that is good idea for a thread, post email pictures of you from epcot!!!!!

Horizons1

I used to go in there when they had the Sega games but now that Dreamcast and Sega have dissapeared from Innoventions its just boring:snore: :eek: Besides i wanted all the giant Sonic statues.

emmagata

Originally posted by yankeeboy1638
wow I didn't even know Xerox stil sponsored something in Innoventions, considering the company has bascally flushed itself down the toilet the past 10 years. Maybe there is a chance that maybe a company with a more sound financial future will come and help put something in Innoventions that will actually get people to spend time in there.

Hey!!!!

I resemble that remark!!!

But we're doing better!

(A Xerox employee)

BTW, I've seen the Xerox display and thought it was kinda lame.

JLW11Hi

The way I see it, Innoventions has been the one true place in Epcot that does what the park was meant to do in the first place. I really enjoy the house of Innoventions and that one home entertainment thing. This is not a place for "e-ticket, super, blow your mind away, blah blah blah blah". Unlike the other pavillions, this place actually tells us what we will see in the near future. I'd say it should be the soul of Epcot. I agree, I dont stop to see everything there, but with this new update, it will still do what it has been doing, and I think it does it very well.

Besides, Epcot has always been a sort of place that wants the visitors to slow down and spend some time at each place, instead of rushing to the next attraction, like at MK. Thats the whole idea of World Showcase, and all those post show displays at the end of the Future World rides. Yes, they use up a lot of time, but I have been doing it on my past few trips without any worry. Each year I miss something else to try to fit something else in. I know I'll be back again next year, so I figure I will have that much more to look forward to.

isnet396

For those of you who don't know exactly what Underwriters Labs do, look on ANY product in your house. Probably on the box, or the back, and look for the UL logo. Its usually a circle, and the "L" is imposed onto the "U". They test EVERYTHING that goes on the market. I'd like to see a whole pavilion, rather than a demo, for them.

Ian

Rotel1026

Originally posted by happy snapper
Xerox equipment is total pants anyway. Perhaps they could get Fuji to put in some digital imaging.

I doubt that would happen. I don't think Kodak would be very happy to have a competitor come in and sponsor anything in the Disney parks. They have Kodak ads in all the park maps afterall.

But it would be interesting to have someone (would have to be Kodak, I assume) put in an exhibit on digital imaging/photography.

Valentin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom