It's going to be packed, right?

sleepybear

The good news: Boyfriend has a conference in Orlando. I'm tagging along and we're staying at Beach Club Villas.

The bad news: It's going to be from June 2 to June 7, smack dab in the middle of Star Wars weekends, Gay Days, lovebugs and the first night of the Main Street Electrical Parade's return (which I'm psyched about.)

The question: It's going to be packed, right? And sweltering? We usually go in October, which is a far different animal than WDW in June. As far as crowds go, should we prepare for the worst? Or hope for the best?

The good news: Boyfriend has a conference in Orlando. I'm tagging along and we're staying at Beach Club Villas.

The bad news: It's going to be from June 2 to June 7, smack dab in the middle of Star Wars weekends, Gay Days, lovebugs and the first night of the Main Street Electrical Parade's return (which I'm psyched about.)

The question: It's going to be packed, right? And sweltering? We usually go in October, which is a far different animal than WDW in June. As far as crowds go, should we prepare for the worst? Or hope for the best?

Well you never know....I've been to WDW during all seasons and crowds and temps can vary a lot.

the midwest and NE are still in school during your dates....

I was there last October and it was 94 degrees..been there in June, July and August and not had those temps!! So you never know!!

Hope it works out and you have a fantastic time...yay for a tagalong semi free trip! Hope for the best! :)

Enjoy,
D

Upvote 0

MissM

I was talking to a Guest Services CM at MK yesterday (Saturday May 22nd) about how the only weekend day I, as a Seasonal AP holder can see the Summer Nightastic! is Sunday, June 6th. She mentioned the same thing - Gay Days (though she called it, "Pride Week"), Star Wars Weekends and the first weekend of the new shows and said they were planning on it being a little crazy. More then that weekend though, she said they're expecting the following weekend - June 12th - to be the big day when the AP's come out.

But either way, yes, it WILL be extremely hot. (It already is. Yesterday was very hot.)

Upvote 0

Rob562

You can avoid the bulk of the Gay Days crowds by going to parks other than the "un-officially official" park each day, which are AK on Thurs, Studios on Fri, MK on Sat, Epcot on Sun.

Although Studios will be crazy-busy all three days that weekend, from experience I've found that the builk of the SWW attendees are there to see the Special Guests, see the parade, and all the extra Meet & Greets and photo ops they have. They clog the walkways, plus the food places (everyone has to eat, right?) making the park SEEM like a madhouse, but they don't make the attraction waits much longer (apart from Star Tours).

-Rob

Upvote 0

HollyBelle

Can't help you much on the questions... just wanted to say how excited I am that you get to turn your boyfriend's conference into a Disney trip. And at the Beach Club, no less!! We did that once and it rocks. I know you're a foodie, so I hope to see a review when you return! :sohappy:

When we do Disney in the summer we always head to the parks at rope drop, grab lunch around 12:30 or 1:00 (often outside the parks/at a resort), take a short afternoon break (pool/nap), and then hit up the parks again around 4pm or so for the rest of the evening. I find that it's the best way to deal with two big issues: the heat and the crowds!

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Yes, it will be a bit more crowded than October. However, it won't be nearly as bad as the end of the month would be since most schools across the country are still in session.

Upvote 0

Brer Bear

I'll be down there with my family almost the same days (May 31st - June 5th) and I have been trying to get a definitive opinion on crowds as well. It seems that the crowd alert number is an #8 which says that it should be extremely crowded. But when I spoke with some friends who went last year around the same time they said that crowds weren't that bad. I guess we'll see!!!

Upvote 0

Toveck

In '07, '08, and '09, we went during the first week of June, and while it is crowded, it wasn't terrible. The big thing is to be smart with the Fast Passes and the EMH days. The heat was the hardest thing to overcome.

In '09, it was 94 the say we arrived and we were there 9 days and it got hotter each day. The day we left it was 98 degrees! That is what made the crowds difficult, just being in the heat.

We went this past year on the week leading up to Easter and the temps were much better but the crowds were much, much worse.

Next time we go, it will definitely be the first week of June again.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Not to sound too much like a mom, but a thing that so many people seem to forget when they're going to the thee parks (as opposed to water parks) is this: If you have any exposed skin, wear, and bring, sunscreen. Florida sun is unforgiving, and even if arrive wearing sunscreen, you'll need to reapply it before you leave, probably more than once. Especially around the edge of your shirt sleeves, the back of your neck, your hands. For a lot of people, it only takes 10 minutes for a burn to start. Waiting for a parade, or eating al fresco, it can be easy to forget your skin is baking until it's too late.

Upvote 0

fosse76

I've found that the builk of the SWW attendees are there to see the Special Guests, see the parade, and all the extra Meet & Greets and photo ops they have. They clog the walkways, plus the food places (everyone has to eat, right?) making the park SEEM like a madhouse, but they don't make the attraction waits much longer (apart from Star Tours).

-Rob

I don't know...Tower of Terror seemed, to me, to have unusually long wait times this past weekend. The other wait times seemed to be of the norm.

Upvote 0

Jerm

I will be there during the same time, here is my take on what to expect....

1. Most schools are still in session
2. Pride week
3. Most vacation people know now about Pride week and avoid it
4. Star Wars Weekends, with the best group of the 4!
5. Summer Nightastic!

So if you look at it really the break down is it is going to be a little bit more then what a normal weekend would be. I really think that pride week does help more then anything else for those of us who don't care if someone is wearing a red shirt or not! It is sad but really that reason has caused a lot of people to start to avoid coming during that time. So while yes that is a big draw for a large group of fun loving people, I think it keeps away more then comes now.

This is no way me starting a pride week debate, I didn't even know till after we booked it was that time. It didn't change my mind that I am still going to have a great time!!!!

Upvote 0

cinderellafan6

First thing,,, it WILL be hot! I live in Florida but south Florida by the water and at least we have a nice breeze. Just plan for the hot weather and possibly rain and u should be fine. It also gets very humid and very sticky, but keep drinkin water and stay in shade. Its fun going in June. Also dont worry about gay days. It doesnt get that crowded. I go almost every year during that time. Dont worry or stress yourself out and I will be a nice vacation for ya!

Upvote 0

beautifuleyes07

I'm also going during this time (June 3-11). I'm definately a little worried about crowds. This will be the first time going in June; we usually go in Feburary or May, but were unable to this year. We do our vacations a little different than many on this board seem to do. We only go to the parks one day, sometimes two. Hoping to avoid all the crowds already mentioned, I'm planning on park hopping on Monday, June 7. Does anybody have any other suggestions on a better day to go that might be less crowed?

Upvote 0

milewis78

As far was weather goes, expect it to hit the low 90s with afternoon thunderstorms. We are just now hitting the afternoon rain cycle so you can set your watch on it that it will rain by 3pm each day. Fortunately the storms only last an a hour.

As far as crowds go, it is hit or miss. Star Wars weekend will be crowded. So I would stay away from DHS on the weeked and if you do hit the park, plan it around the fast pass.

I wouldn't worry about Pride Week. It is actually one of the better times to be at the park because people actively stay away from the parks at this time. I don't think I have ever been in the park when it was crowded at this time.

Upvote 0

DisneyGirl11

I've never been there in June before, but to my guess, I think it will be crowded. Also, I was there in October and it was HOT, it wasn't that hot when I was there in August a few years ago! Hope you have fun!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom