Trip Report It was the best of times in the worst of times...

Hello All!
We're back from our October 2020 Disney trip, and a crazy time it was!

Like so many others whose trips were cancelled/delayed and changed, ours was too. A year ago before the world collapsed my husband wanted to have a big family blowout trip in November 2020. Our usual companions are my son 20, occasionally daughter 32 and her new husband. He also wanted (for whatever reason) to invite my mother and husband who profess to despise Disney, despite never having been there. His brother and wife, who live in NC and are so reluctant to travel they don't know the restaurants in their own town. He wanted to invite my sister, her husband and son, that he doesn't really spend any time with.🤷‍♀️ I said, "whatever dude" you invite and I'll figure it out.

Invitations went out and 2020 arrived. Our 2020 like many others has been a big pile of 💩 with one shining exception. So, I'm going to list from January to now in a purposely run-on sentence (paragraph) to get the years crap mentioned here and out of the way. It's meant to read fast and forget. The reason I'm going to go into our family's woes is some of this impacted our trip planning/scheduling.

January Scooby (our crazy loving dog) had to be put down and it was very traumatic February Gary's cancer worsened (those of you that have read my other reports know he is fighting stage 4 colon cancer) and they had to increase his chemo Gary gets both cataracts out right before Covid hits February I schedule the Poly for a crap ton of people that of course aren't coming March Seth gets kicked out of his college dorm in Savannah with the Covid shut down and in 48 hours finds an apartment we drive down 12 hours with a Uhaul trailer with donated furniture to help set him up looking like the Beverly hillbillies Aleisha my oldest gets laid off from her job as an interior designer in California due to Covid April we start volunteering at the local food bank because increasing volumes of people are hungry May Aleisha gets her job back and then looses it again due to Covid July I fall in the yard fracturing in multiple pieces my right (dominant) wrist requiring surgery September the day my daughter and her husband are getting ready to put a down payment on a house in California he gets laid off from his job as a lawyer due to Covid.

What, you say, could possibly be the shining exception? In the middle of that mess in April Aleisha and Julio called to tell us that we will be first time grandparents mid December! We're going to have a baby girl!

So, all of that crazy above resulted in my daughter and husband bailing on us for the November trip, and of course none of those in-laws, outlaws etc. were ever going to come, so we rearranged dates around my sons school schedule and planned for a trip in October, and said pooh to the rest of the invitees!

The people who actually ended up going were: Myself-Cindy, Husband-Gary, Son-Seth, Seth's friend from school-John
When: October 21-26th
Where: 1 night Rivera 1 bedroom Villa, and 4 nights at the Polynesian in a Bungalow
IMG_5556.JPG

meggo819

Thank you, and did you see the game tonight?!?:cry::cry::cry:
I blame it on finishing my TR before we locked in a playoff spot! (I'm very superstitious)!
I have an entire bin of Steeler ornaments and a little tree in my kitchen and the rule is they don't come out till we make the playoffs!
I was so hoping on doing that tonight!:mad::cry:
Ah, so it’s your fault! Lol

No, I didn’t see it. I was disappointed to find out it wasn’t being aired where I now live. But in hindsight, guess I didn’t miss much!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You're hilarious!!!
And yes I hope to be able to be there also. But, she called us today to tell us her BIL that she saw at Thanksgiving (don't even get me going on that), just tested pos today. So, everything's even more up in the air!:mad:

I‘ll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter - and for your trip. 😊

tommcp516

Thanks for the great report! I'm glad you and Grumpy, er, Gary were able to enjoy your trip with your son and his friend. Your photos of the Poly bungalows definitely moved them to the top of the wish list for our next stay.

I'm originally from PA and am a lifelong Eagles fan, but congrats on the season your Steelers have been having this year!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
What a great and beautiful start to the day, even if it was your last day at WDW!

I agree with you on the Poly. Keep it unique.

Yes, please share the photos!

Thanks for the report!
It was gorgeous! We had such beautiful weather the entire week.
Will definitely have (one or ten to share)! 🤣
Thanks for following along.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thanks for the great report! I'm glad you and Grumpy, er, Gary were able to enjoy your trip with your son and his friend. Your photos of the Poly bungalows definitely moved them to the top of the wish list for our next stay.

I'm originally from PA and am a lifelong Eagles fan, but congrats on the season your Steelers have been having this year!
And Grumpy he is!🤣
We loved the bungalows for sure and somehow if we ever stay there again, have to build in a resort day.
Thanks, they were doing pretty good till last night. But, sort of in a downward trajectory which makes me a little nervous. Have got to get that playoff tree up!
And thanks for following along!

riverside

Premium Member
Haven’t had a chance to comment(but you know I’m alive via texts🤣🤣) but a totally awesome TR as always!! Still super bummed that we missed you by such a short amount of time—I would have absolutely loved to crash that bungalow!! Some day...😉
Gotta admit...Gary’s comment at the end made me tear up but I can tell he’s a fighter & there will be many more trips!!
Sending so many thoughts & prayers to you & your family for safe travels & a happy & healthy birth of your granddaughter!!
😘😘😘

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thank you for following along!
And yes, I think we all would have enjoyed a bungalow crash!
And you've met Gary, thankfully he is good natured (when he's not being a grump butt)!
I'm getting a little nervous with the flight and all. But, really want to be there to meet the new baby!
Will send pics!

Songbird76

You're hilarious!!!
And yes I hope to be able to be there also. But, she called us today to tell us her BIL that she saw at Thanksgiving (don't even get me going on that), just tested pos today. So, everything's even more up in the air!:mad:
Surely that's long ago enough that they should be past the incubation period...they tell you 10 days here, and Thanksgiving was November 26th, correct? So December 6th/7th....if they aren't experiencing any symptoms by now, they should be fine. Does BIL know when he was exposed?

KellBelle

Thanks for the great report! Congrats on the grandbaby! I am with you on your final thoughts, especially about the shopping. We just got back a few days ago and I did not buy nearly the amount of stuff I would have, if I didn't have to carry it around. I think they dropped the ball big time on that one! Looking forward to SO many more reports from you and Gary!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Surely that's long ago enough that they should be past the incubation period...they tell you 10 days here, and Thanksgiving was November 26th, correct? So December 6th/7th....if they aren't experiencing any symptoms by now, they should be fine. Does BIL know when he was exposed?
He began experiencing symptoms not too long after they were together. Their rapids came back negative.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thanks for the great report! Congrats on the grandbaby! I am with you on your final thoughts, especially about the shopping. We just got back a few days ago and I did not buy nearly the amount of stuff I would have, if I didn't have to carry it around. I think they dropped the ball big time on that one! Looking forward to SO many more reports from you and Gary!
Thanks for following and we're very excited. Just a few days to go!
And yes, I tend to buy way too much junk while I'm there. Good for my pocket not theirs. 🤷‍♀️
I hope to start nagging him again to at least get a date. I love planning probably as much as going there!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Ok, magical thread bump!
We made it to Sacramento, so far safely it appears.
And yesterday my daughter had her baby girl!! She had some trouble with postpartum bleeding and concern for an infection so she’s still in the hospital. We can’t go in to the hospital due to covid but I was able to talk with her last night and reassure myself she was stable. The new parents gave us permission to post some photos of our first grandbaby!!
F69D6046-C682-4F03-9890-34AD26BCF984.jpeg

3F3E4C2B-F3B7-4D4A-B32E-D92CFA3E8FC5.jpeg

8D562F38-9261-4343-A29C-2C7CF2BC40AD.jpeg

283694A1-19ED-4BAA-9815-FDAF015D25AB.jpeg

And we’ve all concluded that the second photo is her response to the “fun” of being born and her salute to seeing the backside of 2020!!
She fits right in with the family!
Wishing everyone a fabulous and safe holiday!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom