It Could Always Be Worse [CONCLUDED]

Brer Panther

Well, in that case, here's MY submission...

Silly Symphony Square logo.png
When asked to design a new land for Disneyland Paris, I had trouble figuring out what to do. My first idea was to give the park a new version of Mickey's Toontown, but then I recalled that Walt Disney Studios Paris already has the Toontown-like Toon Studio, and I began to worry that it might make a French Toontown redundant. What to do, what to do... while staring at concept art for a more medieval version of Mickey's Toontown considered for Tokyo Disneyland, inspiration struck. What about an "extension" of Fantasyland based on the animated productions that Disney got their start with - the iconic Silly Symphonies?

Hence, Silly Symphony Square is my pitch for Disneyland Paris' new land, based entirely on those beloved short films that laid the groundwork for such animated films as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, and Bambi.

1629835027846.png

Stepping into Silly Symphony Square, guests find themselves in a medieval village a la that seen in Pinocchio. In the center of the village stands a beautiful fountain featuring the characters from 1932's Flowers and Trees. Occasionally, characters from the Silly Symphony shorts roam the streets, some of them making their debut as walkaround characters - such as Max Hare, Toby Tortoise, Elmer Elephant, and the Grasshopper from The Grasshopper and the Ants. During the Holiday Season, Santa Claus (as seen in Santa's Workshop and The Night Before Christmas) has even been known to stop by. In general, the land has a very comforting, kid-friendly atmosphere.

Attractions

Big Bad Wolf Falls
The "big kahuna" of Silly Symphony Square, so to speak, is this log flume attraction similar to Splash Mountain, with one main difference... it's entirely indoors. Since cold weather is a problem in Paris, the attraction features no outdoor portions, and near the attraction's exit is a warm fireplace (turned off in the hotter months) so wet guests can dry off before returning outside.

1629835137249.png
Big Bad Wolf Falls' queue takes guests through the house of the Three Little Pigs before climbing aboard hollowed-out logs for a tour of the critter-inhabited countryside that the pigs call home. Per usual, Fiddler and Fifer Pig are too busy making music and goofing off to notice that the Big Bad Wolf is sneaking around, planning to nab the pigs and cook them for dinner. As the logs climb up lift hills and plunge down waterfalls, the wolf pursues the pigs across the countryside, with appearances along the way from other Silly Symphonies characters such as Max Hare, Toby Tortoise, and the chickens from o' the Walk. When the wolf finally manages to capture the pigs, it's up to Practical Pig to save the day - and, of course, it's also time for our log to hurtle down a five-story waterfall. Of course, everything ends happily, as the pigs join their friends and neighbors in a rousing performance of "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?".

Big Bad Wolf Falls makes for a fitting counterpart to Splash Mountain, sharing its thrills, cast of animatronic critters, and reliance on music. Also like Splash Mountain, part of the Disneyland Railroad's track actually travels above a show scene in the attraction.

Cookie Carnival
Disneyland Paris is severely lacking in animatronic shows. It doesn't have its own Enchanted Tiki Room or Country Bear Jamboree. This attraction fixes that problem.

1629835274538.png

For the first time, human beings are invited into Cookietown for a scrumptious performance to celebrate the eighty-sixth anniversary of the day the Cookie Queen was crowned. The show takes place in a theater seemingly constructed entirely of sweets, with gingerbread walls and a frosted-coating ceiling. The Cookie Queen and her Gingerbread King sit in a balcony to the right, welcoming guests as the show begins.

The attraction features a number of quirky acts, each one including an original song written for the show. Three jolly rum cookies perform a goofy drinking song called "Always Stewed", two upside-down cakes perform acrobatic stunts as they sing "Point of View", Miss Cocoanut dances with an ice cream sandwich and a group of éclair-esque penguins to the song "Getting Cold in Here", four animal crackers channel a barbershop quartet as they sing "Who's Eating Who?", Miss Jello wiggles and jiggles as she performs the operatic "Jealous of Miss Jello", a pair of "old-fashioned" cookies do a vaudeville routine, and two fellas made of striped candy called the Dandy Candy Kids tap-dance. Eventually, the performers all come together for one more musical number to cap off the show, "How Sweet It Is".

Not only does Cookie Carnival's unique aesthetic help it stand out from Disney's other animatronic shows, but it also re-introduces characters from a relatively obscure short to make a fun attraction - something Disney rarely does nowadays. Guests are sure to pay another visit to Cookietown for a second helping of sweet delights.

The Skeleton Dance
When night falls on Silly Symphony Square, the skeletons emerge to make some mischief. This is a simple flat ride, similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Alien Swirling Saucers, based on the very first Silly Symphony of all. Guests climb aboard vehicles resembling tombstones and "dance" among the skeletons, brought to life through a combination of audio-animatronics and projections, to the tune of the music of the short. Eventually, the cawing of a crow signals that morning is on its way, causing the skeletons to scatter and bringing the ride to an end.

1629835383276.png

Those with a preference for the macabre should love The Skeleton Dance despite its status as a less thrilling ride. And as an added bonus, the entire attraction is painted in black, white, and shades of grey - just like the short it takes inspiration from.

Shopping

Straw, Sticks and Bricks
1629835196137.png
Near the exit of Big Bad Wolf Falls is this charming little shop owned by the Three Little Pigs. To their fellow critters, it boasts an impressive display of straw, sticks, bricks, and cement (hence the name). But for us non-critters, it's a great place to find merchandise of Disney's forest-dwelling characters, particularly plush toys. You can also purchase your on-ride photo from Big Bad Wolf Falls.

Music Land
1629835488547.png
A music shop was a natural choice to represent a short taking place in a land populated by anthropomorphic musical instruments. Designed with both the Land of Symphony and the Isle of Jazz in mind, a large window near the back of the store overlooking the Sea of Discord, the shop's main draw is a large selection of musical instruments, records, and CDs. You can even use a special kiosk to create your own CD, selecting tunes from a playlist of beloved Disney songs.

Dining

Cookietown Confectionary
1629835570873.png
Cookie Carnival exits out not into a gift shop, like most Disney attractions, but rather a confectionary. A combination of a candy shop and a bakery, Cookietown Confectionary is the go-to place in Silly Symphony Square for all things sweet. One can even grab a custom-made gingerbread representation of one of Cookie Carnival's characters.

King Neptune's Galley
1629835668846.png
Silly Symphony Square's only table service location is inspired by the Silly Symphonies that take place underwater - Frolicking Fish, King Neptune, and Merbabies. The eatery is divided into two sections - one is "on land", the other is "under the sea". The "land" section takes the form of a seaside shack, strange-looking fish and fishing equipment mounted on the decaying walls. The "sea" section is an underwater paradise, with projections on the walls to simulate actually being below the surface. Fittingly, the menu is almost entirely seafood.

Woodland Café
1629835740670.png
Upon stepping into this counter service eatery, guests seemingly shrink down to the size of a bug. Tables are actually large mushrooms, walls are formed by enormous blades of grass, and a band of animatronic grasshoppers provide music with "instruments" made of flowers. The cafe's menu is mainly vegetarian, mostly comprised of salads and sandwiches. However, one can also grab a bug-themed snack such as "Ants on a Log" (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins), ladybugs formed from strawberries and blueberries with dark chocolate for decoration, and butterflies constructed out of grapes and orange slices. If you want your kids to get at least SOME healthy food on your visit to Disneyland Paris, I would highly recommend grabbing lunch at the Woodland Café!

As a whole, Silly Symphony Square is a rather small land - only three attractions, two shops, and three dining locations. But it's also an incredibly charming land, one that will delight guests of all ages even if they aren't familiar with the shorts that it takes inspiration from.

TheOriginalTiki

Mulan's Garden of Honor

1629855358869.png

1629855481483.png

Nestled within a quiet corner of Disneyland Paris, guests to Mulan's Garden of Honor experience an authentic Japanese tea garden experience inspired by the famous space of the same name in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. The real Japanese Tea Gardens acts as one of the oldest "themed spaces" in the United States, a true piece of pre-Disney history in the genre.

Taking the spot of Autopia, the gardens offer no traditional rides but instead act as a reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the park and serving as a more laid back and peaceful alternative to Alice's Labyrinth. All of the gardening and landscaping will be as naturalistic as possible with the notable exception of the giant Bonzai tree which greets guests at the entrance to the gardens and serves as a pathway under the railroad tracks. The railroad itself will go right though the center of the tree and add an exciting set-piece to that attraction's roster of sites along its route. The large scale of this tree will act as a "Monstro" style transition into a world of forced perspective ala Storybookland.

Entering under the elaborate hand-carved tree roots, to the immediate left the first thing guests will come upon is the loading platform for a boat ride which takes you around the perimeter of the garden, essentially creating a birm from outside of the main birm. Much like everything else in the gardens this attraction isn't given a proper label or fancy name but instead speaks for itself and blends into the environment. The boats will be constructed to have a shaded Pagoda style roof and open-air viewing.

239856335_4532313966807730_6553782011609656239_n.jpg

Heading out of the tree roots and into the heart of the garden, guests see an impressive forced perspective hill with a three story Pagoda temple at the top. Trickling down to the base and into a small lake below are dozens of small waterfalls and bonzai trees to create a truly immersive sight-line that goes back to Disneyland's earliest days of using the forced perspective technique.
239586495_4532312960141164_8952547261175774653_n.jpg

Winding up a small slope to the temple itself, guests are able to take in a show centered around the various Chinese dragons and Mushu. This show will be a 30 minute loop that keeps repeating itself through the day with a 15 minute break in between. There will be seating on the sides of the temple and open standing room in the center. Four dragon gods will be represented by stone statues that come alive Tiki Room style with limited movement and animation. Mushu himself is the centerpiece here, perched on the second story as an incredibly impressive AA figure done perfectly to scale with fluid animation and movement.

239395272_4532313790141081_2033928299362011530_n.jpg

Taking a path to the far west side of Mushu's Temple, guests find themselves in an Authentic Japanese zen rock garden which has a view of the rest of the area facing the opposite side of the tea house. In this calm and serene environment guests can partake in a guided 20 minute meditation session every two hours, which will run you through three meditation exercises to help you better take in the tranquility of the gardens.
236670665_4532313173474476_8475904444746370760_n.jpg

Sight/Sound/Sensitivity - Guests are asked to focus their undivided attention towards each of these three senses for 90 seconds a piece individually, then for a remaining two minutes combining the three.

Inner Chi - Guests are asked to partake in a five minute breathing exercise focusing on an invisible stream of positive Chi energy that travels up your body from the tips of your toes all the way up to the the tip of your head.

Circular Breathing - Finally, guests are given instruction on the method of circular breathing through the nose, paying special attention to the space of time in between breathes.

236523432_4532314123474381_8897284494542397967_n.jpg

On the East side of Mushu's temple is a small miniature Bonzai forest which leads to two key attractions...the fortune cookie factory and the tea house. The Fortune Cookie Factory is based on San Francisco's famous Chinatown landmark located in Ross Alley and serves up a slightly more authentic version of the micro-factories of DCA 1.0. It is here that guests can take home any flavor of fortune cookie they could imagine, as well as see the process of the cookies being hand-crafted from the conveyor in person. Free samples on every visit are a given! For a small charge guests can write down any (family friendly :) ) fortune of one sentence or less to be hand-placed into their own individually boxed cookie. Once again, any and all flavors apply!

15794405975_02095f0121_b.jpg

Finally we hit the tea house. It is here where guests get the best vantage point of the gardens facing the opposite end of the zen garden view. The tea house offers an authentic tea tasting experience every two hours where tea experts from around Japan are brought in on six month contracts to act as hosts for this free immersive experience. Naturally the tea house will also be the place to grab a full pot of your favorite tea as well as to-go tealeaves and small portions of sushi and Japanese deserts.
240205723_4532313273474466_4272506994418418017_n.jpg

239946437_4532314830140977_6420089065968663487_n.jpg

From a peaceful boat ride to a tranquil meditation, from an incredibly advanced AA figure to an extremely immersive dining opportunity. Mulan's Garden of Honor aims to be a World Showcase Pavilion on steroids. An experience as authentic as possible to something like the Japanese Tea Gardens as you can get without the actual historical element. It's an Imagineering "themed space" unlike anything Imagineering has ever done, and will serve as a testing ground for future World Showcase expansions in Epcot. As for Disneyland Paris itself, the park will be getting yet another unique and quirky addition to its collection of walkthrough attractions and one of the most peaceful, tucked away spots in any Disney park across the globe.​

ThemeParkPriest

Very creative projects!

Tiki, I appreciate the quieter land you created. Having been to a green tea field (in South Korea), I really like green tea flavor (like in ice cream).

Tegan, I think the monorail idea makes a lot of sense! I put on a lot of steps the day I had the Park Hopper in Paris!

Outbound, how did you come up with a unique, IP-devoid land while working on the final project for SYWTBAI and starting college?!

Disney Warrior

Alright! Guest review time!

@Brer Panther : I like the idea of a Silly Symphony land, but I don’t think it’s a great fit for the Autopia plot of land. It seems more like something that would fit in Fantasyland rather than near Discoveryland.
@ThemeParkPriest : I like the usage of the BH6 IP, it seems realistic, and I think Disney would do that. Also, thanks on bringing back the people mover!
@Outbound : I like the moving map, it brings a lot of personality, and I appreciate you going with the non-IP route. Also, as Priest mentioned, kudos for doing this and SYWTBAI finals at the same time, good luck!
@Tegan pilots a chicken : Another non-IP idea, let’s see how this holds against Outbound’s. Alright, I think that this is pretty intriguing, also I’m glad there’s no Inside Out or Soul here!
@TheOriginalTiki : For a second, I thought that read “Mulan‘s Garden of Horror”, but anyways, the idea of making this land more quiet gives you an advantage with being distinct, even though the IP isn’t the best fit.

As for @Shannoninthemagic and @b-wolf95 , good luck in future imagineering efforts (same for everyone else)!​

TheOriginalTiki

@TheOriginalTiki : For a second, I thought that read “Mulan‘s Garden of Horror”, but anyways, the idea of making this land more quiet gives you an advantage with being distinct, even though the IP isn’t the best fit.​
Ooooh yea. I totally botched the IP choice on this one. Made a complete Hank Hill "So are ya Chinese or are ya Japanese" out of myself haha :p Darn you Disney for not having proper Japanese representation with your characters! Definitely should have gone with a full on World Showcase vibe without force-feeding the IP in, or at the very least actually bothered to distinguish what a Chinese and Japanese garden is and not literally switch back and forth between calling it one or the other in the actual text ;)

Seriously, I'm genuinely surprised they've never tried to tackle a full-on Japanese fairy tale before. Raya is close I guess but that's more of a melting pot of different Asian mythologies. @JokersWild any thoughts on this? Maybe they just figure Ghibli has the market cornered in that department haha.

JokersWild

Ooooh yea. I totally botched the IP choice on this one. Made a complete Hank Hill "So are ya Chinese or are ya Japanese" out of myself haha :p Darn you Disney for not having proper Japanese representation with your characters! Definitely should have gone with a full on World Showcase vibe without force-feeding the IP in, or at the very least actually bothered to distinguish what a Chinese and Japanese garden is and not literally switch back and forth between calling it one or the other in the actual text ;)

Seriously, I'm genuinely surprised they've never tried to tackle a full-on Japanese fairy tale before. Raya is close I guess but that's more of a melting pot of different Asian mythologies. @JokersWild any thoughts on this? Maybe they just figure Ghibli has the market cornered in that department haha.
Honestly, I think that there just isn't demand for it. All of these mainland Asia-centric IPs are mainly because China is a huge market that demands cultural familiarity. Japan goes crazy for pretty much anything that has the Disney/ Pixar name attached to it. They sort of get close with Big Hero 6, but it's not properly Japanese. I'm sure Ghibli plays a bit part in this too - they're basically the Japanese Disney, both in popularity and cultural significance.

Also, Japanese fairy tales are super dark and not very family friendly.

HomeImagineer

Well, in that case, here's MY submission...

When asked to design a new land for Disneyland Paris, I had trouble figuring out what to do. My first idea was to give the park a new version of Mickey's Toontown, but then I recalled that Walt Disney Studios Paris already has the Toontown-like Toon Studio, and I began to worry that it might make a French Toontown redundant. What to do, what to do... while staring at concept art for a more medieval version of Mickey's Toontown considered for Tokyo Disneyland, inspiration struck. What about an "extension" of Fantasyland based on the animated productions that Disney got their start with - the iconic Silly Symphonies?

Hence, Silly Symphony Square is my pitch for Disneyland Paris' new land, based entirely on those beloved short films that laid the groundwork for such animated films as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, and Bambi.

Stepping into Silly Symphony Square, guests find themselves in a medieval village a la that seen in Pinocchio. In the center of the village stands a beautiful fountain featuring the characters from 1932's Flowers and Trees. Occasionally, characters from the Silly Symphony shorts roam the streets, some of them making their debut as walkaround characters - such as Max Hare, Toby Tortoise, Elmer Elephant, and the Grasshopper from The Grasshopper and the Ants. During the Holiday Season, Santa Claus (as seen in Santa's Workshop and The Night Before Christmas) has even been known to stop by. In general, the land has a very comforting, kid-friendly atmosphere.

Attractions

Big Bad Wolf Falls
The "big kahuna" of Silly Symphony Square, so to speak, is this log flume attraction similar to Splash Mountain, with one main difference... it's entirely indoors. Since cold weather is a problem in Paris, the attraction features no outdoor portions, and near the attraction's exit is a warm fireplace (turned off in the hotter months) so wet guests can dry off before returning outside.

Big Bad Wolf Falls' queue takes guests through the house of the Three Little Pigs before climbing aboard hollowed-out logs for a tour of the critter-inhabited countryside that the pigs call home. Per usual, Fiddler and Fifer Pig are too busy making music and goofing off to notice that the Big Bad Wolf is sneaking around, planning to nab the pigs and cook them for dinner. As the logs climb up lift hills and plunge down waterfalls, the wolf pursues the pigs across the countryside, with appearances along the way from other Silly Symphonies characters such as Max Hare, Toby Tortoise, and the chickens from **** o' the Walk. When the wolf finally manages to capture the pigs, it's up to Practical Pig to save the day - and, of course, it's also time for our log to hurtle down a five-story waterfall. Of course, everything ends happily, as the pigs join their friends and neighbors in a rousing performance of "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?".

Big Bad Wolf Falls makes for a fitting counterpart to Splash Mountain, sharing its thrills, cast of animatronic critters, and reliance on music. Also like Splash Mountain, part of the Disneyland Railroad's track actually travels above a show scene in the attraction.

Cookie Carnival
Disneyland Paris is severely lacking in animatronic shows. It doesn't have its own Enchanted Tiki Room or Country Bear Jamboree. This attraction fixes that problem.

For the first time, human beings are invited into Cookietown for a scrumptious performance to celebrate the eighty-sixth anniversary of the day the Cookie Queen was crowned. The show takes place in a theater seemingly constructed entirely of sweets, with gingerbread walls and a frosted-coating ceiling. The Cookie Queen and her Gingerbread King sit in a balcony to the right, welcoming guests as the show begins.

The attraction features a number of quirky acts, each one including an original song written for the show. Three jolly rum cookies perform a goofy drinking song called "Always Stewed", two upside-down cakes perform acrobatic stunts as they sing "Point of View", Miss Cocoanut dances with an ice cream sandwich and a group of éclair-esque penguins to the song "Getting Cold in Here", four animal crackers channel a barbershop quartet as they sing "Who's Eating Who?", Miss Jello wiggles and jiggles as she performs the operatic "Jealous of Miss Jello", a pair of "old-fashioned" cookies do a vaudeville routine, and two fellas made of striped candy called the Dandy Candy Kids tap-dance. Eventually, the performers all come together for one more musical number to cap off the show, "How Sweet It Is".

Not only does Cookie Carnival's unique aesthetic help it stand out from Disney's other animatronic shows, but it also re-introduces characters from a relatively obscure short to make a fun attraction - something Disney rarely does nowadays. Guests are sure to pay another visit to Cookietown for a second helping of sweet delights.

The Skeleton Dance
When night falls on Silly Symphony Square, the skeletons emerge to make some mischief. This is a simple flat ride, similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Alien Swirling Saucers, based on the very first Silly Symphony of all. Guests climb aboard vehicles resembling tombstones and "dance" among the skeletons, brought to life through a combination of audio-animatronics and projections, to the tune of the music of the short. Eventually, the cawing of a crow signals that morning is on its way, causing the skeletons to scatter and bringing the ride to an end.

Those with a preference for the macabre should love The Skeleton Dance despite its status as a less thrilling ride. And as an added bonus, the entire attraction is painted in black, white, and shades of grey - just like the short it takes inspiration from.

Shopping

Straw, Sticks and Bricks
View attachment 582044
Near the exit of Big Bad Wolf Falls is this charming little shop owned by the Three Little Pigs. To their fellow critters, it boasts an impressive display of straw, sticks, bricks, and cement (hence the name). But for us non-critters, it's a great place to find merchandise of Disney's forest-dwelling characters, particularly plush toys. You can also purchase your on-ride photo from Big Bad Wolf Falls.

A music shop was a natural choice to represent a short taking place in a land populated by anthropomorphic musical instruments. Designed with both the Land of Symphony and the Isle of Jazz in mind, a large window near the back of the store overlooking the Sea of Discord, the shop's main draw is a large selection of musical instruments, records, and CDs. You can even use a special kiosk to create your own CD, selecting tunes from a playlist of beloved Disney songs.

Dining

Cookietown Confectionary
View attachment 582053
Cookie Carnival exits out not into a gift shop, like most Disney attractions, but rather a confectionary. A combination of a candy shop and a bakery, Cookietown Confectionary is the go-to place in Silly Symphony Square for all things sweet. One can even grab a custom-made gingerbread representation of one of Cookie Carnival's characters.

King Neptune's Galley
View attachment 582054
Silly Symphony Square's only table service location is inspired by the Silly Symphonies that take place underwater - Frolicking Fish, King Neptune, and Merbabies. The eatery is divided into two sections - one is "on land", the other is "under the sea". The "land" section takes the form of a seaside shack, strange-looking fish and fishing equipment mounted on the decaying walls. The "sea" section is an underwater paradise, with projections on the walls to simulate actually being below the surface. Fittingly, the menu is almost entirely seafood.

Woodland Café
View attachment 582055
Upon stepping into this counter service eatery, guests seemingly shrink down to the size of a bug. Tables are actually large mushrooms, walls are formed by enormous blades of grass, and a band of animatronic grasshoppers provide music with "instruments" made of flowers. The cafe's menu is mainly vegetarian, mostly comprised of salads and sandwiches. However, one can also grab a bug-themed snack such as "Ants on a Log" (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins), ladybugs formed from strawberries and blueberries with dark chocolate for decoration, and butterflies constructed out of grapes and orange slices. If you want your kids to get at least SOME healthy food on your visit to Disneyland Paris, I would highly recommend grabbing lunch at the Woodland Café!

As a whole, Silly Symphony Square is a rather small land - only three attractions, two shops, and three dining locations. But it's also an incredibly charming land, one that will delight guests of all ages even if they aren't familiar with the shorts that it takes inspiration from.
I really love that idea @Brer Panther, awesome idea land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom