It Could Always Be Worse [CONCLUDED]

MickeyWaffleCo.

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Attention all ICABW players!
Before the next prompt begins, you will all be subjected to the exceedingly good fun of the classic Imagineering competition staple... the Team Swap.

(@wazowski_216 and @Orange Cat have been removed due to inactivity. I’ve informed them both that they simply need to ask me to be let back in.)

Team Sklar.png

Team Sklar
@Outbound
@b-wolf95
@JokersWild
@ThemeParkPriest

Team Baxter.png

Team Baxter
@D Hulk
@Tegan pilots a chicken
@Shannoninthemagic
@TheOriginalTiki
@Brer Panther

New team PMs will be live in a few minutes!

Disney Warrior

Attention all ICABW players!
Before the next prompt begins, you will all be subjected to the exceedingly good fun of the classic Imagineering competition staple... the Team Swap.

(@wazowski_216 and @Orange Cat have been removed due to inactivity. I’ve informed them both that they simply need to ask me to be let back in.)

View attachment 577726

Team Sklar
@Outbound
@b-wolf95
@JokersWild
@ThemeParkPriest

View attachment 577728

Team Baxter
@D Hulk
@Tegan pilots a chicken
@Shannoninthemagic
@TheOriginalTiki
@Brer Panther

New team PMs will be live in a few minutes!
Unfortunately this leaves Sklar with 1 less member than Baxter. It’s gonna be hard to do reviews (please don’t be mean if I accidentally call them Blair and Gurr) Also who is this Sklar person?

MickeyWaffleCo.

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Unfortunately this leaves Sklar with 1 less member than Baxter. It’s gonna be hard to do reviews (please don’t be mean if I accidentally call them Blair and Gurr) Also who is this Sklar person?
With the way the Guest Judges work out, it will actually mean they have equal members all the time.

Sklar refers to Marty Sklar, a famous Imagineer who just passed away a couple years ago.

MickeyWaffleCo.

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Chapter 2: Project 3
With Guest Judge @Tegan pilots a chicken

As @D Hulk puts the finishing touches on his concept artwork, his communicator begins to buzz.

"This is Agent Coulson. I'm getting the word that we need to reassign you right away. Does anyone here get motion sickness?"

@b-wolf95 quickly chimes in, saying "Yeah, I get pre-

"Perfect. Transporting you now."

Avengerstimetraveling.png

Moments later, we arrive in an open plaza, activity all around us. Directly ahead is a bronze statue of Tony Stark.

Coulson's voice quickly updates us on what's going on. "Welcome to the Stark Expo."

StarkExpoMap.png

"Oh no..." murmurs @TheOriginalTiki

"Oh YES!" yells @Tegan pilots a chicken

"This can only mean one thing," says @JokersWild. "We've just arrived in the Chaos-Verse."

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 3.21.57 PM.png

"Yes indeed, Jokers," Coulson tells us. "However, it appears you've landed in Disneyland instead of Magic Kingdom. My bad. You'll need to get on the Anaheim-Orlando Peoplemover and head on down there."

"Did he just say Anaheim-Orlando Peoplemover?" asks @Brer Panther

"You'd better believe it! This is the Chaos-Verse, after all!" shouts Tegan

The Backstory of Water
With Guest Judge @Tegan pilots a chicken

For this challenge, you and your team must completely overhaul the Eastern half of Adventureland (everything but Caribbean Plaza) at the Magic Kingdom. Your goal is to retheme this entire area to create an original backstory for the Jungle Cruise attraction and film.

Your redesigned land does not have to match the storyline of the real-life film. In fact, no prior knowledge of the film is necessary! Your team should come up with a unique backstory for the Chaos-Verse's film and attraction, and redesign the land around that backstory.

A cohesive land, worldbuilding, and creative backstory will be essential if you want to win in this round.

DEADLINE:​

This project is due by Wednesday, August 11th at 11:59 PM EST.

TIPS:​

• You can replace or retheme any attractions on the Eastern side of Adventureland.​
  • Remember that your land should open before Jungle Cruise premiers, chronologically. The land should be Disney's attempt at building hype for the film.​
  • In the Chaos-Verse, the 2021 Jungle Cruise refurbishment doesn't happen. You get to refurbish it yourselves with your own original story.​

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Hey everyone!!

I briefly touched on this in the SYW thread, but my work schedule has been absolutely bonkers as of late, involving a lot of super early shifts and long hours. I’m thankful for it, but it also means I’m unfortunately not going to be active when the teams post tonight. I will get to reviewing projects as soon as I get home tomorrow in the early afternoon.

My apologies for any inconvenience and I hope you all understand! Hopefully this specific schedule is temporary for me.

ThemeParkPriest

Team Sklar!

A NEW DIRECTION FOR ADVENTURELAND?
In the years since its opening, the classic Adventureland theme has become increasingly less relevant to modern audiences. Youth of the 21st century no longer see the now largely-explored Amazon, Congo, South Pacific Jungles as the adventurous realms they were in the past. But where there is challenge, there is room for evolution.

2021's bold reimagining of Adventureland takes a fantastical approach to the classic Disneyland jungle, while nevertheless retaining the core principle of "strange jungle brimming with adventure". Namely, replacing the animals of the jungle with a fantastical race of animal humans.

"No, no" CEO Bob Chapek reassured baffled fans, "I don't know what a furry is, but I can guarantee from our team that this wasn't written as an excuse by a furry."

In the deep jungles of Isla Adventura, past misty mountains and steep-stone canyons, lies the realms of the animal-humans. Are they native to this land, or is there something more mystical... or possibly even sinister afoot? Such a history remains hidden only to the bravest of adventurers who seek such secrets.

Such fantastical tribes include (but are not limited to) the Lions, Pythons, Gorillas, Elephants, Meerkats, Gazelles, Wildebeests, Rhinos, Giraffes, Zebras, Hyenas, Hippos, and Crocodiles, These tribes live within relative unity of each other, all sworn to protect the magical Animaus Jewel. Why that is will remain a mystery until uncovered by you.

So take a trip to our Anthromorphic Adventureland -- sail aboard this reimagined fantastical Jungle Cruise, laugh in the unaltered Enchanted Tiki Room, and explore the newly-revitalized Sunshine Terrace, replacing the bottleneck Magic Carpets of Aladdin with an open jungle-plaza for guests to explore. Adventure Awaits!

Jungle Cruise: Legend of the Animaus Tribe
Ride

We begin our trip through the jungle and all seems familiar to those that have been on the original version, but then we see some of the bushes begin to rustle, with a closer look giving us a glimpse of some... animal people? Our skipper is quick to explain: this jungle is said to contained a mythical gem known as the Animaus Jewel that is said to have uplifted some of the local wildlife, making them human-like. Of course, such a far-fetched legend... is actually 100% true ("It's Disney, what were you expecting?"). In fact, they formed a tribe and apparently have great relations with the Jungle Navigation Co. So much so, that they arranged a welcome party for us! And so, with all this build up, we turn the bend and...

The welcome party is just a single lion-man. Who's asleep. ("He always was prone to lying around.") Based on the state of the scene he's in, it seems that something came up and everyone else left in a hurry, which the lion-man slept through.

Leaving this honestly kind of pathetic sight behind us, we pass by a giant python ("Probably checking out the lion guy; python can easily crush on people, after all.") and end up at a safari camp, which is current being raided by a bunch of primate tribesmen. Some of them seem to be looking for something in particular while others are more interested in learning about human culture, like the chimp trying on some safari gear in front of the mirror or the gorilla that managed to "get that old jeep to turn over."

Moving on, we see some of the younger members of the tribe practicing riding on regular elephants. The elephant boy is doing fine ("Like a pachyderm version of Goofy and Pluto.") His cheetah friend on the other hand.. well, maybe he was aiming to be shaken violently.

The group of meerkat tribesmen standing watch on the sandstone rock formation indicates one thing: we've reached the tribe's feeding grounds. Indeed, we see gazelles, wildebeests, rhinos and all kinds of animal people sharing primitive, but delicious looking meals (though the giraffes are struggling to eat on the same level as the other). And on the far end of the area, we see some zebra warriors standing over a regular lion they just killed "giving acupuncture treatment to a sleeping lion."

Just behind them, we see actual humans for once in the form of a safari party. Unfortunately, they're a bit "hung up" at the moment, as they've been chased up a tree by a strange and monstrous creature, which is currently trying to take a bite out of the group, snaring and... laughing? Indeed, once we move a bit, we find that the "creature" is just a puppet being controlled by a couple of hyena tribesmen, who can't help but laugh to themselves. The skipper is very quick to tell them off for "barking up the wrong tree."

Reaching a calm portion of the river, the skipper decides to reveal something to past the time: during their last cruise, they came across a brilliant gem that, while they don't what exactly it is, would no doubt sell for thousands. As the skipper shows off the gem and talks about what they plan to do after selling it, they are completely oblivious to the crocodile head in the water that seems to be glaring dagger at them...

After pasting by Schweitzer Falls ("Named after famed explorer Dr. Albert Falls."), we find a destressing sight: the remains of a Jungle Cruise boat, imbedded with spears. As the skipper gets worried about their- I mean, our safety, suddenly, ambush! Hippos, crocodiles, and other aquatic tribesmen pop out of the water, weapons drawn and with killing intent. Some quick steering from the skipper saves us, but we're not out of the woods yet!

We find ourselves in the village of the tribe, where war drums play out and warriors prepare themselves for the hunt. As we pass by the village, we see the chief of the tribe, a mighty elephant man, proclaim to the boat, "Return the Animaus Jewel to it's rightful place, or suffer the consequents!" As we're processing the meaning of the chief's words and realizing how much our skipper has screwed up, suddenly, another ambush! Warriors pop out from the bushes and attack the boat with spears and blow-darts (actually just bursts of air). We survive through sheer luck and now our skipper some things he needs to answer for.

"Alright, I can guess what you all want me to do now... OH, HEY, LOOK! IT'S THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD: THE BACK SIDE OF WATER!"

One failed distraction later, the skipper relents and decides to do the right thing: return the Jewel to the temple where he found it. Entering the dimly lit temple, we reach a alter that looks like where the Jewel should be place. Seeing this, our skipper takes the Jewel and (though the magic of slight-of-hand and projection mapping) throws it onto the alter, where it creates pulses of light that go through the entire temple. Further through the temple, we see a regular tiger standing alert, when it starts to glow and shifts onto it's hind legs; this must be the Jewel's magic at work!

Emerging from the temple, we are greeted by what looks like most of the tribe in the mists of celebration. Several are on boats, dancing and playing music. Others didn't even bother with a boat, splashing and playing in the water. And under the waterfall, the chief's daughter, a large beauty of an elephant, preforms a stunning song-and-dance. Even the kids with elephants from before are here, messing around with us. All is right with the tribe once more.

Unfortunately, we can't stay for the festivities. You saw how long the line was for the cruise before; imagine how it would be with one less boat! Before we return to civilization, though, we encounter one last tribe member: a parrot man, trying to hitch a ride to the Tiki Room!

Sunshine Tree Terrace
In the new Adventureland, Sunshine Tree Terrace is now a full service restaurant (while still providing a counter service for those who just want a snack like the Citrus Swirl, which can only be found here). The new appetizer and entree options are eclectic with inspiration from Asian and African cuisines. The kitchen has been expanded and the restaurant is part indoors and part outdoors (extending into the former Agrabah plaza).

Appetizers
Pork Egg Rolls - - $11.99
Chicken Samosas - - $10.99
Fried Plantain - - $8.99

Entrees
“Monkey” Dumplings - Brown-colored, monkey face-shaped dumplings with chicken filling - $16.99
Hakuna Mutata Stew - Beef with root vegetables served with rice - $19.99
Roasted Chicken - Served with rice and vegetables - $15.99
Stir Fry - Served with rice - $14.99 (chicken or beef extra $3)
African Salad - - $13.99 (chicken extra $3)

Dessert
Chocolate Lava Cake - - $9.99
Cup - Orange Cream (made with DOLE Whip® Orange and Vanilla Soft-serve), Citrus Swirl, Vanilla, Chocolate, or Twist - $4.99
Floats - Vanilla, Chocolate, Dole Orange, Twist, or Citrus Swirl served with choice of Soda - $5.99

Drinks
Assorted Fountain Beverages - - $3.99
DASANI® Bottled Water - - $3.50
Freshly Brewed Joffery's Coffee™ - regular or decaf - $3.99
Twinings of London® Hot Tea - - $3.99

Chaos Cat

Team Sklar!

A NEW DIRECTION FOR ADVENTURELAND?
In the years since its opening, the classic Adventureland theme has become increasingly less relevant to modern audiences. Youth of the 21st century no longer see the now largely-explored Amazon, Congo, South Pacific Jungles as the adventurous realms they were in the past. But where there is challenge, there is room for evolution.

2021's bold reimagining of Adventureland takes a fantastical approach to the classic Disneyland jungle, while nevertheless retaining the core principle of "strange jungle brimming with adventure". Namely, replacing the animals of the jungle with a fantastical race of animal humans.

"No, no" CEO Bob Chapek reassured baffled fans, "I don't know what a furry is, but I can guarantee from our team that this wasn't written as an excuse by a furry."

In the deep jungles of Isla Adventura, past misty mountains and steep-stone canyons, lies the realms of the animal-humans. Are they native to this land, or is there something more mystical... or possibly even sinister afoot? Such a history remains hidden only to the bravest of adventurers who seek such secrets.

Such fantastical tribes include (but are not limited to) the Lions, Pythons, Gorillas, Elephants, Meerkats, Gazelles, Wildebeests, Rhinos, Giraffes, Zebras, Hyenas, Hippos, and Crocodiles, These tribes live within relative unity of each other, all sworn to protect the magical Animaus Jewel. Why that is will remain a mystery until uncovered by you.

So take a trip to our Anthromorphic Adventureland -- sail aboard this reimagined fantastical Jungle Cruise, laugh in the unaltered Enchanted Tiki Room, and explore the newly-revitalized Sunshine Terrace, replacing the bottleneck Magic Carpets of Aladdin with an open jungle-plaza for guests to explore. Adventure Awaits!

Ride

We begin our trip through the jungle and all seems familiar to those that have been on the original version, but then we see some of the bushes begin to rustle, with a closer look giving us a glimpse of some... animal people? Our skipper is quick to explain: this jungle is said to contained a mythical gem known as the Animaus Jewel that is said to have uplifted some of the local wildlife, making them human-like. Of course, such a far-fetched legend... is actually 100% true ("It's Disney, what were you expecting?"). In fact, they formed a tribe and apparently have great relations with the Jungle Navigation Co. So much so, that they arranged a welcome party for us! And so, with all this build up, we turn the bend and...

The welcome party is just a single lion-man. Who's asleep. ("He always was prone to lying around.") Based on the state of the scene he's in, it seems that something came up and everyone else left in a hurry, which the lion-man slept through.

Leaving this honestly kind of pathetic sight behind us, we pass by a giant python ("Probably checking out the lion guy; python can easily crush on people, after all.") and end up at a safari camp, which is current being raided by a bunch of primate tribesmen. Some of them seem to be looking for something in particular while others are more interested in learning about human culture, like the chimp trying on some safari gear in front of the mirror or the gorilla that managed to "get that old jeep to turn over."

Moving on, we see some of the younger members of the tribe practicing riding on regular elephants. The elephant boy is doing fine ("Like a pachyderm version of Goofy and Pluto.") His cheetah friend on the other hand.. well, maybe he was aiming to be shaken violently.

The group of meerkat tribesmen standing watch on the sandstone rock formation indicates one thing: we've reached the tribe's feeding grounds. Indeed, we see gazelles, wildebeests, rhinos and all kinds of animal people sharing primitive, but delicious looking meals (though the giraffes are struggling to eat on the same level as the other). And on the far end of the area, we see some zebra warriors standing over a regular lion they just killed "giving acupuncture treatment to a sleeping lion."

Just behind them, we see actual humans for once in the form of a safari party. Unfortunately, they're a bit "hung up" at the moment, as they've been chased up a tree by a strange and monstrous creature, which is currently trying to take a bite out of the group, snaring and... laughing? Indeed, once we move a bit, we find that the "creature" is just a puppet being controlled by a couple of hyena tribesmen, who can't help but laugh to themselves. The skipper is very quick to tell them off for "barking up the wrong tree."

Reaching a calm portion of the river, the skipper decides to reveal something to past the time: during their last cruise, they came across a brilliant gem that, while they don't what exactly it is, would no doubt sell for thousands. As the skipper shows off the gem and talks about what they plan to do after selling it, they are completely oblivious to the crocodile head in the water that seems to be glaring dagger at them...

After pasting by Schweitzer Falls ("Named after famed explorer Dr. Albert Falls."), we find a destressing sight: the remains of a Jungle Cruise boat, imbedded with spears. As the skipper gets worried about their- I mean, our safety, suddenly, ambush! Hippos, crocodiles, and other aquatic tribesmen pop out of the water, weapons drawn and with killing intent. Some quick steering from the skipper saves us, but we're not out of the woods yet!

We find ourselves in the village of the tribe, where war drums play out and warriors prepare themselves for the hunt. As we pass by the village, we see the chief of the tribe, a mighty elephant man, proclaim to the boat, "Return the Animaus Jewel to it's rightful place, or suffer the consequents!" As we're processing the meaning of the chief's words and realizing how much our skipper has screwed up, suddenly, another ambush! Warriors pop out from the bushes and attack the boat with spears and blow-darts (actually just bursts of air). We survive through sheer luck and now our skipper some things he needs to answer for.

"Alright, I can guess what you all want me to do now... OH, HEY, LOOK! IT'S THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD: THE BACK SIDE OF WATER!"

One failed distraction later, the skipper relents and decides to do the right thing: return the Jewel to the temple where he found it. Entering the dimly lit temple, we reach a alter that looks like where the Jewel should be place. Seeing this, our skipper takes the Jewel and (though the magic of slight-of-hand and projection mapping) throws it onto the alter, where it creates pulses of light that go through the entire temple. Further through the temple, we see a regular tiger standing alert, when it starts to glow and shifts onto it's hind legs; this must be the Jewel's magic at work!

Emerging from the temple, we are greeted by what looks like most of the tribe in the mists of celebration. Several are on boats, dancing and playing music. Others didn't even bother with a boat, splashing and playing in the water. And under the waterfall, the chief's daughter, a large beauty of an elephant, preforms a stunning song-and-dance. Even the kids with elephants from before are here, messing around with us. All is right with the tribe once more.

Unfortunately, we can't stay for the festivities. You saw how long the line was for the cruise before; imagine how it would be with one less boat! Before we return to civilization, though, we encounter one last tribe member: a parrot man, trying to hitch a ride to the Tiki Room!

Sunshine Tree Terrace
In the new Adventureland, Sunshine Tree Terrace is now a full service restaurant (while still providing a counter service for those who just want a snack like the Citrus Swirl, which can only be found here). The new appetizer and entree options are eclectic with inspiration from Asian and African cuisines. The kitchen has been expanded and the restaurant is part indoors and part outdoors (extending into the former Agrabah plaza).

Appetizers
Pork Egg Rolls - - $11.99
Chicken Samosas - - $10.99
Fried Plantain - - $8.99

Entrees
“Monkey” Dumplings - Brown-colored, monkey face-shaped dumplings with chicken filling - $16.99
Hakuna Mutata Stew - Beef with root vegetables served with rice - $19.99
Roasted Chicken - Served with rice and vegetables - $15.99
Stir Fry - Served with rice - $14.99 (chicken or beef extra $3)
African Salad - - $13.99 (chicken extra $3)

Dessert
Chocolate Lava Cake - - $9.99
Cup - Orange Cream (made with DOLE Whip® Orange and Vanilla Soft-serve), Citrus Swirl, Vanilla, Chocolate, or Twist - $4.99
Floats - Vanilla, Chocolate, Dole Orange, Twist, or Citrus Swirl served with choice of Soda - $5.99

Drinks
Assorted Fountain Beverages - - $3.99
DASANI® Bottled Water - - $3.50
Freshly Brewed Joffery's Coffee™ - regular or decaf - $3.99
Twinings of London® Hot Tea - - $3.99
We didn't post at the last minute!

Chaos Cat

Doing some minor reformatting for the Jungle Cruise section of our submission just because:

MickeyWaffleCo.

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
ATTENTION ALL ICABW PLAYERS!
We have one more prompt remaining in Chapter Two before Chapter Three: FastPass, also known as the finals of this competition!

Needless to say, ICABW has not gone quite as well as many of us had hoped. The overlap with SYWTBAI and real-world factors have resulted in a less-than-stellar player experience. However, I want to make the remainder of this competition as enjoyable as possible for all players. Thus, we’re doing some unconventional things.

The final prompt of Chapter Two will be released today. For this prompt, all players will be participating as one big team. Because of this, there will be no winning team for this prompt. It’s simply an opportunity for all players to enjoy themselves with one last project before the finals.

The finals are open to all players, and will be entirely single-player. If you competed in the regular season of ICABW, you are eligible to compete in the finals. However, you are not required to if you don't want to. You will not be automatically put in the finals unless you specifically ask to be in the finals.

If you would like to participate in the finals, please be sure to respond to this post and inform me so.

To any players who choose not to participate in the finals: Thank you so much for playing in this competition and making this such a fun event! I hope you've enjoyed It Could Always Be Worse!​

Chaos Cat

We have one more prompt remaining in Chapter Two before Chapter Three: FastPass, also known as the finals of this competition!

Needless to say, ICABW has not gone quite as well as many of us had hoped. The overlap with SYWTBAI and real-world factors have resulted in a less-than-stellar player experience. However, I want to make the remainder of this competition as enjoyable as possible for all players. Thus, we’re doing some unconventional things.

The final prompt of Chapter Two will be released today. For this prompt, all players will be participating as one big team. Because of this, there will be no winning team for this prompt. It’s simply an opportunity for all players to enjoy themselves with one last project before the finals.

The finals are open to all players, and will be entirely single-player. If you competed in the regular season of ICABW, you are eligible to compete in the finals. However, you are not required to if you don't want to. You will not be automatically put in the finals unless you specifically ask to be in the finals.

If you would like to participate in the finals, please be sure to respond to this post and inform me so.

To any players who choose not to participate in the finals: Thank you so much for playing in this competition and making this such a fun event! I hope you've enjoyed It Could Always Be Worse!​
Count me in!

Shannoninthemagic

Why not give it a shot!

Outbound

I’ll likely be less active in the coming weeks, but I’d still like to play! Count me in as long as I’m not taking the spot of someone else.

ThemeParkPriest

Thanks so much for hosting this! They have all been interesting prompts! It has been good working with some others I’m not so familiar with.

I’m inclined to say yes to Chapter 3, but I’ll give a more definitive answer later!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom