Island Supply in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to close next week

BrerJon

It would be nice to eat dole whips away from the portable air pollution

I'd love it if they restored Adventureland Veranda into a (non-seasonal) quick service restaurant, with tropical themed dishes, but the primary function being all sorts of Dole Whip combinations, sundaes etc. along with Hawaiian exhibits. I'm thinking along the lines of the Boudin Bakery in DCA, or Ghiradelli's... if Dole Whips have become so well known, and the lines so long, why not make the whole thing more of an attraction?

Kman101

I am not a huge merchandise buyer. That being said, I cannot wait to see Memento Mori in Liberty Square as the photos of the unique, area specific merchandise is spectacular. And there are even props on the walls and the ability to have a photo taken that turns you into a ghost. Now WDW should pay attention here because they are turning someone not necessarily into merchandise into someone that can't wait until his 2014 Thanksgiving trip so that he and his family (3 young children that like to possess "things") can go and visit this store.

IMHO, this turns a shop into something more than just a shop...it becomes a small attraction in itself, something that people want to go see and experience. And aside from seeing it, to the pleasure of WDW, people will even spend MORE MONEY beyond what they spend on rooms, park tickets and food.:greedy:

I hope that this is indeed what is happening here, and that the Marketplace Co-op and Memento Mori are just the beginning.:geek:

This. I'm not a shopper in the slightest, but give me unique merch (although it's still a bit overpriced, but at least it's attraction specific) and a well themed shop ... IMO that's how it should be. Immerse me totally. Don't make me roll my eyes that I'm being dumped into a generic shop (although HM doesn't 'dump you' per say) that sells the same Mickey plush in Adventureland I can get in every store on Main Street, in Epcot, etc. While I get that business aspect, it became too out of hand. Why? Because it probably worked for them in the short term.

I love the ideas behind the Co-Op (still haven't gotten there), and Memento Mori. Let's hope the trend continues. And like I was saying above, even if I may not buy something, if it's a unique shop, I'm more than likely to at least go in and check it out, which would likely lead me to at least looking for SOMETHING to buy.

And with Aloha Island, it was already said, why do more when people line up anyway? But I really think that section of Adventureland needs some congestion help. Maybe putting a big old spinner right smack dab in the center wasn't the best idea (much like Astro spinning on the ground in Disneyland's Tomorrowland, which I don't like. I wish they'd move it).

flyerjab

I wonder if the success of the DA shops in UNI has WDW rethinking their strategy in terms of merchandise. Face it, beyond Gringotts, there are no other rides specific only to DA in that new expansion. It is just shops and eateries - incredible, mindblowingly-themed shops and eateries - but shops and eateries nonetheless.

UNI is probably drunk with money after what fans are spending on that merchandise. Maybe they are helping WDW remember what they used to be the best at doing. Hopefully they continue to not only remember bit also continue to act on it. Memento Mori is a start, now let's keep the ball rolling.

And this goes for dining experiences also. I see many people on other threads comment on dining locations that have been shutdown for years, sitting empty. They should retheme them and open them up, offering unique dining offerings akin to what could be done with merchandise locations like Memento Mori.

omurice

Re-opening Adventureland Veranda and re-imagining this shop, while not Potter swatters, these are steps in the right direction. Some say there's nowhere to build in MK, but I disagree - they have shuttered and "generified" a shocking number of little areas all over MK (and EPCOT for that matter).
Time to dust off what they have, polish it up a little. Re-inject areas with new life that have been overlooked for decades with some charm and uniqueness. Adventureland would make a nice start.
Frontierland with a dinner show in Diamond Horseshoe would be another revitalization.
Aunt Polly's is a third spot they can wake up.
A small lounge on the riverboat would be something new - you'd have to give CMs a stick to turn people away.

I wish they could wake up, look at this old park some of the resorts with fresh eyes. Hire some urban planner types, not so many refugees from big chain hotels. Get out of their cubes at CP and walk around a little, breathe the air...

Texas84

Hopefully this is a trend towards specific merchandise. I stayed at Coronado last week and really wanted a resort polo. There was nothing, not even a T-shirt or magnet.

Sped2424

Specific merch and dining locations are always great even though tdo couldn't see that. Whats one of the most requested items at the be our guest restaurant? The grey stuff. Why? Because it's the one thing in the movie tons of folks remember. If they put more dining and merch that is that specific to the locale or the film they are crafting the experience from guests will respond.

Mike S

Specific merch and dining locations are always great even though tdo couldn't see that. Whats one of the most requested items at the be our guest restaurant? The grey stuff. Why? Because it's the one thing in the movie tons of folks remember. If they put more dining and merch that is that specific to the locale or the film they are crafting the experience from guests will respond.
Disney could've gone all out and also included beef ragu, cheese soufflé, pie and pudding en flambé on the menu too. Talk about a unique restaurant.

Magenta Panther

"Agree to disagree"... what people with no basis for their argument use to get out of an argument.

The "basis of my argument" is that I think the Jungle Cruise is an embarrassing piece of nostalgic detritus that really ought to be replaced. THAT IS MY OPINION. My saying "We must agree to disagree" is a polite way to end an argument - as opposed to making inflammatory snark in order to prolong it, which is what you seem to want to do.

I've respectfully read opposing opinions about the Jungle Cruise. I don't agree with them, but I'm not going to insult anyone over it. 'Kay?

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
Oh my god, make that ride longer? No thank you. :D

Checked the posted rules of the Magic Kingdom. Don't see anything that mandates all guests to ride it. So the only thing I can conclude is you have some aversion guides in boats on a rail wearing panama jack hats and telling corny jokes. You can admit it. It's the first step towards healing.

aladdin2007

I'd love it if they restored Adventureland Veranda into a (non-seasonal) quick service restaurant, with tropical themed dishes, but the primary function being all sorts of Dole Whip combinations, sundaes etc. along with Hawaiian exhibits. I'm thinking along the lines of the Boudin Bakery in DCA, or Ghiradelli's... if Dole Whips have become so well known, and the lines so long, why not make the whole thing more of an attraction?

I like this idea!! Far too many unused spaces in these parks now that are dormant, yet the the parks are more packed than ever all the time, yet Disney seems to want everyone cattle drived into one tight space instead of dispersed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom