Is WDW running out of space?

tobix

Original Poster
Remember when you drove up the road to the Magic Kingdom and felt you were in the middle of nowhere? There were no WDW entrance signs, no EPCOT, no MGM, no waterparks or hotels. It was so magical and 'hidden' and you could tell there were acres of space for future development. Looking at the current maps of WDW, doesn't it look like there is no room to build any more significant parks?

Mickeyrulz

Maybe, maybe not.

However I think they need to focus on making more E-Tickets at the existing parks before they go and build more parks. Animal Kingdom especially needs one, and yes it's getting one but I hope they don't stop with that.

Mission: SPACE

We own a lot more land than you think we do ;-). There's currently room for three more theme parks, not counting the nature preserve, but don't get too excited. Animal Kingdom didn't do what it was built to do. Instead of drawing in more guests, it just reapportioned the guests throughout the resort. So, despite the fact that there is plenty of room for expansion, I don't expect to see any new park(s) for quite a while.

madalex

Mission: SPACE said:
We own a lot more land than you think we do ;-). There's currently room for three more theme parks, not counting the nature preserve, but don't get too excited. Animal Kingdom didn't do what it was built to do. Instead of drawing in more guests, it just reapportioned the guests throughout the resort. So, despite the fact that there is plenty of room for expansion, I don't expect to see any new park(s) for quite a while.

I love the idea of three more parks, but I certainly agree that the current parks need some upgrades at this time.

Figment1986

The property is huge... They have loads of room for those parks... (If only they would stop with resorts after the build Pop Centry phase 2. ledgendary years...)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TWDC hasn`t even touched on the land to the north of Epcot, and the land they own east of Bay lake is enough to fit a Magic Kingdom into, above Osprey Ridge. There is spce for another string of resorts around Bay Lake (Persian anyone? :lol: ) As is the land west of the Magic Kingdom. If the Western Beltway `C` gets built (is it already?) you can bet they will be opening up this area, and the land north of Animal Kingdom (tree farm / treatment plant area).

WDWScottieBoy

Figment1986 said:
The property is huge... They have loads of room for those parks... (If only they would stop with resorts after the build Pop Centry phase 2. ledgendary years...)

psst....phase two is already built! It just needs the theming and paint and it'll be done. The building themselves have been done for quite a while now.

Also, 47 square miles is a lot of space, and I don't think that with the 6 parks and resorts (and DTD) that they are running out of space. Don't expect it to ever run out of space either. They have the nature preserve down towards Celebration which won't be touched.

peter11435

WDWScottieBoy said:
psst....phase two is already built! It just needs the theming and paint and it'll be done. The building themselves have been done for quite a while now.

Actually that's not true. Phase two is not built, only the main building and 2 of the 10 resort buildings. They still have a lot of work to do before they can add theming and paint.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My wife and I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour on our honeymoone and this subject specifically was broached (<===fancy word for talked about). WDW has in excess of 50 square miles. They have developed less than 50%. With the advances in technology, dont be suprised if the theme park attractions of the future are more "virtual" in nature, requiring less space.

If times get booming and they need to, most Disney Resorts have been constructed where they can build up instead of out, (For example at the Allstars...very easy to add additional floors.) and space is still available around those resorts for the support services needed.

I dont think there will be any problem with land for the next 100 years. By that time, Disney Mars will be open, and heck, there is a whole planet there to expand on..... :lol: :p

Captain Hank

Ok, as I've said before: the half-finished Pop buildings are the WORST example of BAD SHOW I have ever seen out of Disney. They also look really creepy, kinda like abandoned buildings instead of unfinished ones.

futurepres

From an arial point of view, it may not look to great, but from a logistic and sensible point of view, it may be the best scenario for construction.

The property is approximately 47 square miles, 18% of which is developed and 8% of which will be kept as a nature preserve and not used.

Captain Hank

Unfortunately, at certain points on the ground you can still see the buildings. They've done a pretty good job of hiding them from the range of view from the current Pop area (or so I hear), but it still is an awful example of bad show when you can see them. I do understand about the issue with construction being halted after September 11, 2001, but could they at least slap a coat of paint on them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom