Is WDW running out of space?

CaptainMichael

Walt Disney made sure he would not make the same mistake with the "Florida Project" as he did with Disneyland. He got enough land for every conceivable idea his Imagineers could come up with.

surfsupdon

hcwalker16 said:
Ok, as I've said before: the half-finished Pop buildings are the WORST example of BAD SHOW I have ever seen out of Disney. They also look really creepy, kinda like abandoned buildings instead of unfinished ones.
And I hate ow you can see some of these buildings, finished and unfinished, from certain sections of Caribbean Beach. It makes semse for all the Epcot and MK Resorts to be visible from their respective quarters, and All Stars together, and the PO Complex, but there was no reason to build Pop so close to CBR.

I don't want to escape to the tropics and see huge unappealing icons, and worse yet, buildings remain unfinished.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pop was built so close to CBR for one reason - to save money. Both resorts share laundry services, CM rest facilities, storage etc.

Lynx04

I remember reading somewhere that the Disney property is 2 square miles smaller then Houston, TX. Its true that most of the land has not been developed. However, since the property is mostly marsh and wetland, a percentage of the property can not be developed for building parks, resorts, etc. I do not know what the percentage is but even if the percentage is high, there is still room to expand. If Disneyland in CA is still expanding then we all know expandablity is not an issue with WDW.

DarkMeasures

Lynx04 said:
I remember reading somewhere that the Disney property is 2 square miles smaller then Houston, TX. Its true that most of the land has not been developed. However, since the property is mostly marsh and wetland, a percentage of the property can not be developed for building parks, resorts, etc. I do not know what the percentage is but even if the percentage is high, there is still room to expand. If Disneyland in CA is still expanding then we all know expandablity is not an issue with WDW.

And that is why water rentention ponds are built.

Chux

If I remember correctly, our Keys to the Kingdom guide, Rae, told us that WDW is only using 1/2 half of the alotted space, including their Wildlife Preserve.

Lynx04

Exactly, but how much space do these rentention ponds take up? I know the original designers made them look like canals. I don't know how much space it takes up. obviously it takes up enough space to put a dent in the land available for developement. With that being said, whats even more obvious is that even with the rentention ponds being built there is still a whole $*#& load of land available for developement. After all, Washington DC was built on marsh land.

surfsupdon

marni1971 said:
Pop was built so close to CBR for one reason - to save money. Both resorts share laundry services, CM rest facilities, storage etc.

But its wierd to build and share with CBR, which is one of the top five largest hotels in the nation, with 2,112 rooms! lol And Pop is even BIGGER!

Eachy should ahve it's own complex, but I guess if they can make it work...
:hammer:

peter11435

surfsupdon said:
But its wierd to build and share with CBR, which is one of the top five largest hotels in the nation, with 2,112 rooms! lol And Pop is even BIGGER!

Eachy should ahve it's own complex, but I guess if they can make it work...
:hammer:
While CBR does have alot of rooms. It is not even one of the top 10 in the nation that list is made up entirely of hotels in Las Vegas, all ten of which have over 3000 rooms.

1) MGM Grand - 5034 rooms

2) Luxor - 4408 rooms

3) Excalibur - 4008 rooms

4) Circus Circus - 3770 rooms

5) Flamingo - 3642 rooms

6) Mandalay Bay - 3309 rooms

7) Bellagio - 3270 rooms

8) Las Vegas Hiton - 3174 rooms

9) The Mirage - 3044 rooms

10) The Venetian - 3036 rooms

WDWScottieBoy

Peter11435, what year is that from? I was told that in 1998 during my stay at Dixie Landings that it was the largest in the nation at the time. Now that Dixie Landings and Port Orleans have joined and are now one resort, I'm guessing that it is now the largest resort quite possibly in the world. Anyone else have any updated information on this?

peter11435

WDWScottieBoy said:
Peter11435, what year is that from? I was told that in 1998 during my stay at Dixie Landings that it was the largest in the nation at the time. Now that Dixie Landings and Port Orleans have joined and are now one resort, I'm guessing that it is now the largest resort quite possibly in the world. Anyone else have any updated information on this?

Dixie Landings had a total of 2048 rooms with Port Orleans at 1008, that gives them a combined total of 3056 which would rank them 9th. However even though they merged they are still technicaly two resorts. In fact as off the last time I said at Riverside a few months ago the bill on the credit card still said Dixie Landings. It is similar to the All-Stars. Each have 1920 rooms. That gives them a combined total of 5760 which would be the largest in the country. However technicaly they are seen as tree seperate resorts, because of three seperate check-in areas. The same goes for Port Orleans. As for Dixie Landings being the largest in the nation. That is impossible because Caribbean Beach which opened a few years before Dixie has 2112 rooms. So Dixie was never even the largest in WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom