Is this the new standard and am I the only one who sees it?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I knew that sometimes females are used as Peter Pan but they aren't always used. I have seen male Peter Pans. The last Peter Pan I saw at Disneyland was a dude.

John park hopper

I knew that sometimes females are used as Peter Pan but they aren't always used. I have seen male Peter Pans. The last Peter Pan I saw at Disneyland was a dude.
It's one of those roles that can be payed by either sex provided you are not a 300 pound NFL male lineman
Just to be picky, but Mary Martin was Pan in the TV special, not in a movie. It was kind of a Broadway production for the TV cameras. I watched it when it first aired, and never forgot it.
My mistake

Sonconato

Don't forget Sandy Duncan!
1574008555083.png

smooch

@FinnWhitman thanks for your insight. My friend did the DCP in WDW earlier this year during the spring and she would message me from time to time about how stressful it could be. She specifically would mention how she would feel alone at times because she had moved across the country all by herself and while she had friends there she didn't have any of her friends from back home to really talk to in person. She also talked about the hours she had to work, her main location was working in merchandise in the Emporium so I can only imagine how incredibly hectic it was all the time. That being said she said that while it was incredibly stressful and she seemed downright miserable at times, she told me she thought it was incredibly rewarding to be able to be part of making the magic for guests and she and I are even applying for the Fall 2020 program together. After getting her insight and becoming a little more grounded in reality with my expectations I still am hoping to get accepted for Fall 2020 with or without her as I have always loved the parks and have always wanted to work in a Disney Park for even a few months to be able to do my best to give guests the best experience possible to hopefully give them the same amount of joy the parks give me.

With that all said, I also want to talk about my last experience in WDW earlier this year. I went in March I believe and I did not notice a single cast member on their phone and they always seemed happy to be there, for the most part. As with any job / Disney Park there were a very tiny handful that weren't as enthusiastic as others, but I personally did not see any cast members that seemed like they were unhappy with where they were or having personal conversations. In QSF locations I could tell every person at the location was stressed out / trying to keep the line moving quickly but I honestly can't blame them, the lines were always so long for any snack or food and some of the guests around me were just plain rude even by Disney guest standards. I am sure there are cast members that have off days and may come off as rude but I am just saying from my personal experience (3 days in the parks) I did not encounter any disinterested or rude cast members but I know they do exist and I wish they didn't in Disney Parks. With a stay as long as 19 days I can not imagine you wouldn't be able to make it the whole time without running into burnt out cast members, the cost of living is becoming so high nowadays that the people working these jobs must be so burnt out working enough hours to just be able to get by. It's definitely a problem with society too though, all jokes aside I am only 20 but having worked in multiple minimum wage jobs I could tell some people just really didn't care about how they presented themselves to guests whether it was in a restaurant or a retail experience. No matter how exhausted I was from working and going to school full time, I would put on a smile and use my happiest voice and do my best to make the guests as happy as possible. I now work in an office setting as a receptionist so it is not nearly as labor intensive but I am the first person clients encounter when coming in and am definitely held to a higher standard than I was in my minimum wage jobs and I think the fact that I work so hard to treat the clients coming in or calling on the phones as best as possible. I don't know if anybody even cares about all my input as I am from California so DLR is my home park but I just went for the first time in over 10 years a few months ago and had an absolute blast.

EDIT: I also went to Universal in Orlando and the customer service is nowhere near the same. Disney cast members are definitely still higher quality than those who work at Universal. The cast members there that worked in the Harry Potter sections were closer to Disney standards. The people in front of me talked to the cast member at the front of the line for the broomstick ride in Diagon Alley (don't have Universal rides memorized like I do with Disney) and she seemed happy to be there, but my dad had a conversation with the cast member in Flight of Passage who was ushering people into the rooms to "scan" everyone and she seemed to be enjoying herself a lot and even talked with us about how she liked moving to Orlando and how it was adapting to living there for her DCP semester.

Last edited:

BeentoallDParks

Customer feedback from guests is essential for a company to know how they are doing. Whether the company does something about it, that's another issue.
You will never leave a high-end hotel and be chased down for your opinion afterward. True customer service is in not having to be told you messed up. It’s noticing it yourself. If you depend on customer complaints to police your service, you have already failed.

I might add there are millions of people in Asian cultures who would never complain. Many cultures perceive that as making a nuisance of yourself.

Lilofan

You will never leave a high-end hotel and be chased down for your opinion afterward. True customer service is in not having to be told you messed up. It’s noticing it yourself. If you depend on customer complaints to police your service, you have already failed.

I might add there are millions of people in Asian cultures who would never complain. Many cultures perceive that as making a nuisance of yourself.
Disney like other tourism companies are not mind readers. Feedback positive and negative by clients are essential moving forward. You think Disney resorts are high end hotels? Maybe in terms of pricing..

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hey Randyland, FIRST TIME I've read your posts ...

Wondering why you post in SENTENCES one after the other with EACH it's own paragraph ...

Is it to add DRAMA to your posts with words RANDOMLY posted in Capitals ...?

It's almost like YOU want it to read as an IMPORTANT statement, a serious statement, a frivolous statement, who KNOWS, but a statement to be identified with the utmost importance nonetheless ...

Your use of ellipses at the end OF your sentences is intriguing ...

It leaves one pondering what the next ONE holds, will it excite, will it inspire, will it make one rise up and rebel against the masses ...

I like your style, your PANACHE, it's like I'm reading a script written for MATHEW McConaughey ...

And lest we not FORGET, he who shouts loudest ...

May often be the one heard LEAST ...
HEY...

AT LEAST

HE DIDN'T

TYPE

IT ALL

IN

UPPERCASE.

MickeyLuv'r

Disney like other tourism companies are not mind readers. Feedback positive and negative by clients are essential moving forward. You think Disney resorts are high end hotels? Maybe in terms of pricing..
I didn't read her post that way.

But there's a bit to unpack in your short post....
All companies rely on customer feedback, to some extent. In the age of the internet, anyone can post a negative review or unfavorable footage, and that has an impact.

It doesn't matter if the company is in the tourism industry or something completely different. More or less, happy customers = successful business. Unhappy customers = no business, no? Except in the case of monopolies, or near monopolies.

I have worked in customer service, and the job actually does involve a bit of mindreading. Some folks lie to get free stuff, others smile to hide how upset they are. Smart staff can usually tell the difference, but it is a bit of an art.

Post-service feedback is usually viewed as back up; not the primary means of achieving happy customers.

Strong service companies strive to be proactive; they try to avoid negative feedback BEFORE it happens. Disney used to pride itself on having very proactive customer service. Truly, it is one of the prime reasons my family has given them so much business. In this, yes, WDW offered a premium product.

Last edited:

smooch

No kidding?
I meant it more as that it's only my second trip to Disney World in my life that I talked about so I don't know if I have had enough exposure to the parks as a lot of people in the Disney World forums on this site have. I also might have just looked at everything through rose tinted glasses since it was such a rare opportunity for me to be there. Again it was just my input and I didn't mean it like only people who live in Florida get an input it was mainly just that I don't go there even remotely often.

OG Runner

I meant it more as that it's only my second trip to Disney World in my life that I talked about so I don't know if I have had enough exposure to the parks as a lot of people in the Disney World forums on this site have. I also might have just looked at everything through rose tinted glasses since it was such a rare opportunity for me to be there. Again it was just my input and I didn't mean it like only people who live in Florida get an input it was mainly just that I don't go there even remotely often.

Never apologize for having an opinion. I live in New Hampshire, but I have visited WDW enough times to offer an opinion on the
service provided in the parks. Just know you will, in all likelihood run into annual passholder Florida residents during these discussions.
They go to the parks so many times they will bring up things the average visitor wouldn't even notice.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
The role of Peter Pan in the movie was a female --Marry Martin. My dermatology assistant said because she is so little (5' tall may be less) she was picked to play Peter Pan
I remember as a kid around 1980 commercials for 'Sandy Duncan as Peter Pan on Broadway'...

Not sure why I still remember, lol...

Probably because the commercial played 10,ooo times and it was weird a GROWN woman was playing the part.

smooch

Never apologize for having an opinion. I live in New Hampshire, but I have visited WDW enough times to offer an opinion on the
service provided in the parks. Just know you will, in all likelihood run into annual passholder Florida residents during these discussions.
They go to the parks so many times they will bring up things the average visitor wouldn't even notice.

I completely understand. I have been to Disneyland a lot of times, many as a kid but also many since I have grown up and looked at the parks more critically and even joining first Micechat years ago before moving here finally. I apparently have just had incredible luck with any park visit I have had as I never have a problem with the cast members being rude or anything like that, my biggest complaint is just the guests around me have gotten very rude and selfish in general. But I see discussions about Disneyland and Disney World cast members both getting less polite and I simply haven't seen it personally even with the perspective on the parks that people here on these boards look at the parks through versus what average visitors see.

OG Runner

I remember as a kid around 1980 commercials for 'Sandy Duncan as Peter Pan on Broadway'...

Not sure why I still remember, lol...

Probably because the commercial played 10,ooo times and it was weird a GROWN woman was playing the part.

It has been the way the part has been cast on stage. You will note Mary Martin also did previously. As a matter of fact, (I like that expression), if you pull up online, who played Peter Pan on Broadway the first article I found was 15 ladies that played Peter Pan.

Kingtut

I am sorry but I have to finish one of your sentences for you

" There are jobs that just simply aren't getting done because Americans won't do them. For what we want to pay them to do it

It's not personal but this is a pet peeve of mine. There is always someone willing to do any job if you are willing to pay them sufficiently to do it. It's not Americans, it's not people coming across the border, it's not martians. if your business is only sustainable by continually finding lower priced labor then it isn't sustainable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom