Is this the new standard and am I the only one who sees it?

WDWTank

Unfortunately, it appears to be a trend now for the parks: increased prices, lower quality experience.
Maybe the woman in the U.K. Pavilion was calling relatives? But it’s not fair to the guests who want a Disney experience.

Conno

Original Poster
The OP mentions two occasions where the decided that some CM's were making personal calls yet weren't even close enough to read the name tag. I wish my hearing were that good.

Normally I wouldn't feed trolls, but I'm in the mood with some extra bacon so I'll toss a few pieces your way.

I was standing directly infront of the CM in question looking at chocolate bars next to the register, I couldn't read the name tag - because she wasn't wearing one (but was in costume), and her conversation was absolutely personal because I heard it.

If I couldn't hear the call - I wouldn't have made the claim.

Conno

Original Poster
Unfortunately, it appears to be a trend now for the parks: increased prices, lower quality experience.
Maybe the woman in the U.K. Pavilion was calling relatives? But it’s not fair to the guests who want a Disney experience.

Maybe, but does it matter? She was on stage and meant to be providing service to guests. If she had to make a personal call - there's better places to do that.

Goofyernmost

Normally I wouldn't feed trolls, but I'm in the mood with some extra bacon so I'll toss a few pieces your way.

I was standing directly infront of the CM in question looking at chocolate bars next to the register, I couldn't read the name tag - because she wasn't wearing one (but was in costume), and her conversation was absolutely personal because I heard it.

If I couldn't hear the call - I wouldn't have made the claim.
Well I guess you were correct about my being a Troll. After all I have been a member since Nov. 2003 with 27,000 posts and you since April 2017 with 17 posts.

You might want to look at your post and show me where you said where you were standing in relation to the CM. So with that new information I will concede that you might be correct in what you witnessed. My apologies!

Minnesota disney fan

OP, I think it all goes back to the fact that the Disney Academy (or whatever training was called) has been cut back from about a week to a day or two! The first thing taught was "show". This was told to me by a CM. Show meant that you were "on stage" all the time you were working and susposed to act like it! Now, we have more and more college program CM's who are only there for 6 months or so, and sadly some of them view it as a vacation to party. Not all, but some apparently. When any company hires temporary help and cuts back on their required training, then the end product is going to suffer. IMO, that's what is happening with some of the CM's at WDW.

Also, as others have mentioned, please let guest services or even Chapek know via email, text, or letter. If they don't get feedback, then nothing will ever change.

wdwfan4ver

I've seen multiple CMs taking personal phone calls on their Apple Watch's stealthily while working merchandise, and others checking their phones/social media'ing.
The personal phone call thing not just happens at WDW. I've seen this outside of Florida and I was told about it

The problem is more related to society in general and the workplace handles it. One of my relatives works at Hospital and seen people being fired for calling or what else that person uses on smart phone. That relative mentioned rules were mentioned to the employees when they get hired and that included the phone calling, but people still do it anyway with them getting fired on the spot. The thing is not all places handles employees using smart phones for personal use when they are supposed to be walking the same way as the hospital in question does.

I have to jump on the complain to Disney higher ups bandwagon on this. You need contact Bob Chapek, or Josh 'd Amaro. Josh is the president of Walt Disney World and would be a good person to contact.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Well I guess you were correct about my being a Troll. After all I have been a member since Nov. 2003 with 27,000 posts and you since April 2017 with 17 posts.

You might want to look at your post and show me where you said where you were standing in relation to the CM. So with that new information I will concede that you might be correct in what you witnessed. My apologies!
A poster concedes the other person may have been right and apologizes. This may be an Internet first. My hat's off to you, sir.

Tom P.

I would definitely complain about this as well, particularly about the dessert party. The only thing that will ever make an impact is if it starts hitting Disney financially. If they have to refund $400, that might just get some manager's attention.

GhostlyGoofy

I saw another human being yawn so I flipped over a Trashcan!

The phone call thing seems too far, but if you really are that upset do go to guest relations and let them know.

Tom Morrow

There has been a decline in service and there are several factors. The ever-growing size of the resort means more and more cast members are needed, requiring Disney to be less picky in hiring. They fill a massive portion of positions with their college and international program, which themselves are ever growing and expanding, meaning they are far less picky with who they recruit for even them. This means that a massive portion of CM's are temporary and constantly cycled out.

That said, it's still typically really good and lol that you have the audacity to say Universal's service is way better. People move to Orlando to work at Disney. Nobody moves to Orlando to work at Universal, and it shows. Most of Universal's staff is local 18-22 year olds who clearly could not care less. Everything you mentioned in the OP I see occasionally at Disney and almost constantly at Universal. Even the service in the Potter lands has declined. It used to be stellar, now it's the same as the rest of the resort, only the bark the word muggle at you.

Last edited:

Lilofan

The personal phone call thing not just happens at WDW. I've seen this outside of Florida and I was told about it

The problem is more related to society in general and the workplace handles it. One of my relatives works at Hospital and seen people being fired for calling or what else that person uses on smart phone. That relative mentioned rules were mentioned to the employees when they get hired and that included the phone calling, but people still do it anyway with them getting fired on the spot. The thing is not all places handles employees using smart phones for personal use when they are supposed to be walking the same way as the hospital in question does.

I have to jump on the complain to Disney Bandwagon on this.
With Disney staff most being in a unionized environment it is a supervisor vs hourly mentality with staff being represented by their union reps when the staff gets in trouble. When you are working in a non unionized setting, it's easier to get rid of you.

Higginbotham587

This is the first year I've really noticed this - and it is noticable. I should be fair and say it's not all CMs -- some of them are still attentive, amazing, engaged, and interested - but those are no longer the majority.

I suspect this cycles around the state of the US and specifically central Florida labor market. People are a lot more comfortable doing their jobs poorly when they know another job is pretty easy to come by. Right now it’s an employee’s market. And it costs Disney and every employer to fire, hire, and train. But when the worm turns and we are in a recession I bet the yawning stops. Because there are 25 people lined up who would want that job. Just a thought.

Conno

Original Poster
If you are unsatisfied and especially if you are still at WDW go to guest relations and make your concerns known. In terms of specific incidents of the UK shop (even if you didn't catch the cm's name the managers can figure out who it was based on time and date) and the dessert party be specific, polite, and stern about your concerns and you might get a resolution. If you don't have time or aren't in WDW anymore send an email. While it is interesting to voice concerns on a message board, the more complaints WDW gets in person or through emails the more likely it is something might change.

I'm still here and have raised the concerns w/ guest relations at their respective parks. Immediately following EF, I visited guest relations looking for access to the same spot to view the show the following night (was not interested in attending the dessert party again). I was told they can't do that, but was offered the Guest Relations VIP area - which is on an a weird angle near the Italy pavillion - the view was not comparable. I will be pursuing this one further.

As for CMs, I realize it's probablyt work ethic as a whole in 2019 - but that doesn't mean Disney need to or should accept it. Their service is what sets them apart from other theme park offerings. As anticipated, I found Universal team members more engaged with their guests than Disney ones (honestly, the problematic Disney CMs seem to be cultural exchange and college program). Some of the best WDW CMs this trip, for me, have been Minnie Vans, and resort CMs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom