Is this the new standard and am I the only one who sees it?

Conno

Original Poster
Currently at WDW for 19 days for my annual trip. It's expensive getting over here from the UK, so I tend to do it once and do it big.

I usually write off the threads that talk about declining service and getting less for more - but I'm coming to agree more and more. Now I'm experiencing a combination of the two; even the upcharge events (which I frequently splurge for) are getting worse.

But now onto the actual point of my post - which is a drill-down on a subsection of of the theme of 'reduced service'.

What the hell is going on with front-line cast members in the parks?

Has someone torn the manual and rule book for cast member training?

A hig level elaboration (as I lie in bed about to get ready for a day at Universal's IOA, where I know team member quality is going to surpass Disney's), the number of disconnected, disinterested cast members I've seen working the entry point of attractions and in stores/shops/merch locations around WDW is astonishing.

There's usually two CMs at the entry point of attractions, and on over half of attraction I've been on this trip - they've been engaged deep in personal conversation about what they did this weekend, their love lives, family, or something else. Not even glancing at guests as they enter an attraction or tap in a FastPass. Some of them not even looking in the direction of guests, but motioning them past with their hands while they continue their conversation.

I've seen multiple CMs taking personal phone calls on their Apple Watch's stealthily while working merchandise, and others checking their phones/social media'ing.

The icing on the cake was yesterday in Epcot, in Ye Olde Shoppe in the United Kingdom. A cast member working a checkout/till/register (whatever you call it), was using the land-phone line for a personal call while twirling her ing hair for a good 10 minutes, as I stood there in disbelief (as she was the only one working the checkout in that area of the store). I contemplated going over to get the name on her tag - which she conveniently either wasn't wearing, or it was out of view. I decided not to deal with her and walked to the other end of the shop to checkout my items, cause I would have unloaded a barrage of sarky comments to her.

I mean... if I wanted to deal with substandard disengaged CMs, I'd goto a theme park with better rides. I pay an extortionate amount of money for the high quality serivce and attractions WDW has to offer - I expect so much more than CMs who don't want to be there.

I'm surprised it's being allowed, because I refuse to believe team leads/supervisors aren't aware of this happening. It's prolific.

This is the first year I've really noticed this - and it is noticable. I should be fair and say it's not all CMs -- some of them are still attentive, amazing, engaged, and interested - but those are no longer the majority.

In another note - Epcot Forever was great last night. Around 5 shells fired during the show, but no other fireworks at all - yet they let the whole thing play out... music with some weak lighting -- all without an announcement, suspension of show, reset, or apology. That was the final straw, after paying $400+ for the Frozen Dessert Party (but far less under their immediate control).

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
images(16) (1).jpg

Lilofan

It's unfortunate you had to see this. Whether it's cast who don't care, managers who don't hold their team accountable and fireworks breaking down with no announcement, it's unacceptable. I would say in any company you work for, it's not bad and poor staff, it's bad and poor leaders that's the real meat of the issue who set the tone and hold staff accountable.

John park hopper

I think it is a growing lack of work ethic in society in general. What you experienced at WDW on the part of some CM occurs everywhere. Can't count the number of times I've been to fast food places and the staff is either on their phones or talking among each other while people wait to order. WDW is not immune to societies ills one can only hope management weeds out the bad CMs

NickMaio

Currently at WDW for 19 days for my annual trip. It's expensive getting over here from the UK, so I tend to do it once and do it big.

I usually write off the threads that talk about declining service and getting less for more - but I'm coming to agree more and more. Now I'm experiencing a combination of the two; even the upcharge events (which I frequently splurge for) are getting worse.

But now onto the actual point of my post - which is a drill-down on a subsection of of the theme of 'reduced service'.

A hig level elaboration (as I lie in bed about to get ready for a day at Universal's IOA, where I know team member quality is going to surpass Disney's), the number of disconnected, disinterested cast members I've seen working the entry point of attractions and in stores/shops/merch locations around WDW is astonishing.

There's usually two CMs at the entry point of attractions, and on over half of attraction I've been on this trip - they've been engaged deep in personal conversation about what they did this weekend, their love lives, family, or something else. Not even glancing at guests as they enter an attraction or tap in a FastPass. Some of them not even looking in the direction of guests, but motioning them past with their hands while they continue their conversation.

I've seen multiple CMs taking personal phone calls on their Apple Watch's stealthily while working merchandise, and others checking their phones/social media'ing.

The icing on the cake was yesterday in Epcot, in Ye Olde Shoppe in the United Kingdom. A cast member working a checkout/till/register (whatever you call it), was using the land-phone line for a personal call while twirling her ****ing hair for a good 10 minutes, as I stood there in disbelief (as she was the only one working the checkout in that area of the store). I contemplated going over to get the name on her tag - which she conveniently either wasn't wearing, or it was out of view. I decided not to deal with her and walked to the other end of the shop to checkout my items, cause I would have unloaded a barrage of sarky comments to her.

I mean... if I wanted to deal with substandard disengaged CMs, I'd goto a theme park with better rides. I pay an extortionate amount of money for the high quality serivce and attractions WDW has to offer - I expect so much more than CMs who don't want to be there.

I'm surprised it's being allowed, because I refuse to believe team leads/supervisors aren't aware of this happening. It's prolific.

This is the first year I've really noticed this - and it is noticable. I should be fair and say it's not all CMs -- some of them are still attentive, amazing, engaged, and interested - but those are no longer the majority.

In another note - Epcot Forever was great last night. Around 5 shells fired during the show, but no other fireworks at all - yet they let the whole thing play out... music with some weak lighting -- all without an announcement, suspension of show, reset, or apology. That was the final straw, after paying $400+ for the Frozen Dessert Party (but far less under their immediate control).
You should call and get your money back for the Frozen party.....you will get it. Trust me.....

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If you are unsatisfied and especially if you are still at WDW go to guest relations and make your concerns known. In terms of specific incidents of the UK shop (even if you didn't catch the cm's name the managers can figure out who it was based on time and date) and the dessert party be specific, polite, and stern about your concerns and you might get a resolution. If you don't have time or aren't in WDW anymore send an email. While it is interesting to voice concerns on a message board, the more complaints WDW gets in person or through emails the more likely it is something might change.

VaderTron

The icing on the cake was yesterday in Epcot, in Ye Olde Shoppe in the United Kingdom. A cast member working a checkout/till/register (whatever you call it), was using the land-phone line for a personal call while twirling her ****ing hair for a good 10 minutes, as I stood there in disbelief (as she was the only one working the checkout in that area of the store). I contemplated going over to get the name on her tag - which she conveniently either wasn't wearing, or it was out of view. I decided not to deal with her and walked to the other end of the shop to checkout my items, cause I would have unloaded a barrage of sarky comments to her.

I have mentioned the sharp decline in CM quality and given my own experience. The Disney apologists said I was a negative person so that's why I had a negative experience. The truth is, the scales started to tip on this around January of this year with spring showing the drastic change you describe. It's quite disappointing, and one of many reasons I'm not returning until improvements are made.

Clamman73

I hear ya...One girl outside of HM yawned as I was walking in (could've been just seeing me) but she looked not interested in being there.
But did see the fellow who I remember seeing last year...I'm sure people here would recognize the taller fellow who kinda sings out..."waaaaatch your step" as you board onto the doom buggy, etc. He's great.

I mentioned in another thread about the monorail CM who was chatting with another while there was a mess of popcorn on the ground. However, I would say a vast majority are great and I appreciate with what they have to put up with the guests. I would argue that some of the guests put the CMs in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position with how much they want to be catered to.

Goofyernmost

I hear ya...One girl outside of HM yawned as I was walking in (could've been just seeing me) but she looked not interested in being there.
But did see the fellow who I remember seeing last year...I'm sure people here would recognize the taller fellow who kinda sings out..."waaaaatch your step" as you board onto the doom buggy, etc. He's great.

I mentioned in another thread about the monorail CM who was chatting with another while there was a mess of popcorn on the ground. However, I would say a vast majority are great and I appreciate with what they have to put up with the guests. I would argue that some of the guests put the CMs in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position with how much they want to be catered to.
I can see a concern about that yawning incident. My only thought is 'has anyone ever tried to stifle a yawn? No one really knows why we yawn, but I don't think it is just because they were bored or didn't care. I yawned once during some intimate situation** and I can assure you I wasn't bored or inattentive. I used to always be singing in my youth, but lately as soon as I start I have an uncontrollable yawn. The point is that we all make judgments based on our own thoughts and no knowledge of what is actually happening.

The OP mentions two occasions where the decided that some CM's were making personal calls yet weren't even close enough to read the name tag. I wish my hearing were that good. The bad thing was that Disney didn't pay enough money to keep staffing where it should be. The persons or person allegedly caught making a personal call, might have been attempting to get someone in to staff the area or for that matter might not have been trained on the registers, etc. If it is true that the CM's no longer care, then perhaps Disney can pay an acceptable wage to get good, trained and dedicated people to work for more then a week at the parks.
I know that's TMI.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Most of the CMs are wonderful but I’ve also noticed things like personal conversations and popcorn on the ground.

I would however argue that this is not at all unique to WDW.

bsiev1977

DI’d you complain to management about the issues you had?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom