Is this really a thing or is it April 1ST? Cabanas in the parks.

Luxe

Incorrect to who, you and I who do not run a multi billion dollar corp? Trust me I think it is wrong, however if they felt there was not market for a 650 dollar tent they would not have done it.
No, what's incorrect is the notion that it's a good business decision just because they might make some quick money. Making money is not the only aspect of running a business, there are long term goals as well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think you're getting food included, I think you get a CM who will fetch your food for you.

You get both.

From an earlier post where someone called to get the details...

"Amenities are: locked trunk, charging stations, personalized mickey ears, lanyard, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, insect repellent, refrigerator, water, soft drinks, bagged snacks, a one time delivery of ice cream and the availability to order QS food for delivery."

Nausicaä

You get both.

From an earlier post where someone called to get the details...

"Amenities are: locked trunk, charging stations, personalized mickey ears, lanyard, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, insect repellent, refrigerator, water, soft drinks, bagged snacks, a one time delivery of ice cream and the availability to order QS food for delivery."

I did see that. To me that means there is availability to order and have food delivered. It doesn't say meals are included in the price.

BrerJon

Knowing you can get lunch and dinner brought to you in quiet environment without having to stand in the lines at Cosmic Ray's and then then fight to find a table for 5 to eight people appears to be worth the price.

I think it's amazing that it's only Cosmic Ray's on offer... you'd think at the very least they'd fetch table service food from Plaza or Tony's... if you have that kind of money to burn, surely WDW's worst burgers aren't top of your dining wish list?

rob0519

I think it's amazing that it's only Cosmic Ray's on offer... you'd think at the very least they'd fetch table service food from Plaza or Tony's... if you have that kind of money to burn, surely WDW's worst burgers aren't top of your dining wish list?

I don't know if it's only Cosmic Ray's. I just said that because it's the closet QS restaurant. They might go to any QS.

Slowjack

It's not always the blatant things that affect us. Sometimes it's the underlying attitude that eventually gets under even the thickest of skins. The idea that Disney would portion off a part of what used to be our, the ticket buying public's, park and make it as class divided a place as it is becoming, is subtle. You cannot immediately behold what it subconsciously does to your extended enjoyment of your fantasy worlds. The place that you saw as a refuge from the one sided world that we live in. A place where a person that is struggling and busting their butts to see now only cares about those with large wallets and you, as a lover of Disney are not even a blip on their radar.

Your conscious self does not necessarily see that when you walk past the $650.00 per day camping tents, but, there will be a spot in your mind that will pick up on how little they care about you, how little they care about the ambiance of MK or any of the other parks, how little they care if you are pushed aside because you have to work hard for your money and only want to be in a fantasy environment where for a moment in time you can be exactly the same as anyone else in the place. That is gone. You won't necessarily miss it right now, but, you will and you might not even know why you are no longer feeling the love and joy you once did. But, it will happen. So to say it doesn't matter to me, is a testament to the fact that we are getting more and more tunnel visioned and cannot see past this very moment. Financially, they will not affect me because even if I could afford to throw away that much money for almost nothing in return, I wouldn't be that ignorant. Emotionally, it has already taken it's toll and the place that I once used as a perfect daydream to get me though some tough times, no longer emotionally exists, affects me beyond the cost of a hiding place within a happy place. To me it marks the end of a great thing and even if they now decide it isn't a good idea, it has already done that damage to my vision of the place. Just the idea that they would think it was worth a try tells me how little they really understand what was once the Disney draw.
Sir, of all the posts you have made, I've never agreed with one more than this. I feel that from my first visit to WDW in 1974 to today, I've witnessed a sad transformation. A long time ago, you could really believe that WDW was built upon the notion that if you build a wonderland of fun and adventure and maintain it the best you can, your bottom line will be rewarded. Now it feels like a strip mine, designed to extract every last nugget of value in the soil.

What's especially frustrating about this development is that there was a time when the MK was a fairly relaxing place to visit, outside of peak times. You had shade, and places to sit, and lots of space in the restaurants. Now, even during value time, it feels packed, and there's nowhere to sit, and it feels like there's just enough restaurant seating available to meet demand. Disney could solve these problems by increasing capacity for everyone, but they would rather upcharge for the solutions: Magic Bands, closing early to offer ticketed after-hours events, reserved seating packages, and now, cabanas.

On one level, it's true that cabanas only affect those who pay for them. But it's also a signal that Disney has no intention of improving certain aspects of the average guest's experience. They will simply offer paid respite for the better-than-average guest.

rkleinlein

Why would people pay for something like this? It's simple. Because they can. Why would people pay $3,200 a night to stay in a Polynesian Bungalow when they could stay in the GF for $650-$1,000 a night? Because they can. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean others for whom money is no object feel the same way. Knowing you can get lunch and dinner brought to you in quiet environment without having to stand in the lines at Cosmic Ray's and then then fight to find a table for 5 to eight people appears to be worth the price.

I must be missing something if you think the are nice, out of the way places to in the MK to get a break from the "crowds of the unwashed masses" as you called them. If you know where these places are, please tell.

I was being facetious; theme parks are probably not the best places to go for nice, out-of-the-way places or for breaks from crowds of the unwashed masses.

And I absolutely DO understand why people pay for things like Polynesian Bungalows: because they're nice. But I find it hard to believe that people who are willing and able to pay for luxuries like Polynesian Bungalows are going to find a tacky, un-airconditioned plastic tent on the pavement, tucked away somewhere at the edge of the park (behind restrooms?) up to their standards--even if it is private, stocked with insect repellent and mouse ears, and someone delivers fast-food.

(Speaking of food: if I don't want to wait in line at Cosmic Ray's and hunt for a table, I'll make reservation at one of the many tastefully/thematically decorated, air-conditioned restaurants, where I can order better quality food which a waiter brings to my table while it's hot and then checks back periodically to see if I need anything else.)

It's not so much about the cost or even the value; it's about the quality of product. I find it astounding that anyone, no matter how wealthy--especially the wealthy--would want to spend any time in these ugly tents, let alone enough time to merit renting one, at any price, for a full day.

But to each his own. Time will tell if people think they're worth it.

Last edited:

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
(Speaking of food: if I don't want to wait in line at Cosmic Ray's and hunt for a table, I'll make reservation at one of the many tastefully/thematically decorated, air-conditioned restaurants, where I can order better quality food which a waiter brings to my table while it's hot and then checks back periodically to see if I need anything else.)

Is there more than one of those in MK?

Edit: That reads as being pretty snarky, which wasn't my intent. The table service offerings are a little lacking. And demand is always great. For a family with children, and the disposable income I can see it being useful.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hate these as much as everyone else for many different reasons. But, it's important to remember that these are currently being used as a test to determine the feasibility and popularity. If they prove successful they will be replaced by themed integrated versions that blend into the park, if it's a failure (which I hope it is) then they will disappear.

It shouldn't freaking matter if they are successful or not. These kinds of things would have gotten you a smack in the back of the head in the old customer focused, everyone is important mindset that freaking BUILT Disney. I mean, this is like seeing a loved one dead. Disney has lost its way.. probably beyond repair at this point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While I understand the perceived class issues, I think some of you are just missing that for some people an extra $650 is just not that much more money. It might be worth it to them to have a home base for their day at the park (just like at a water park). Kids and adults can go running in different directions, with a place to meet back up. They can store their stuff there and not have to keep track of it. Have a place to grad a cold dring and mom or dad (who are reason they can afford it) can sit down and check in with work in a more comfortable environment (recharging their work enabling devices).

So only people that pay for it should be given such opportunities? Are all of Disney's customers worthy of such a pleasant experience?

Disney offers lockers - check
Grab a cold drink? Disney has that stuff everywhere..
Sit down and chill? We used to be able to do that at various places like QS, areas built into the park, areas like the Earth Station at EPCOT.

Point being... these ways to treat your customer well should be things Disney aspires to achieve for all its guests... not working out how to monetize the experience for those willing to throw money at the problem.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney is a public company and is chartered to make as much money for their shareholders as possible

This is a fallacy that the only metric of success is 'as much money ... as possible' and part of the problem of why the company (and country) is diving for the toilet when it comes to many topics. Profit is not the only metric that drives company value, sustainability, and purpose.

But people only look at the quarter these days... not how they got there.

peter11435

It shouldn't freaking matter if they are successful or not. These kinds of things would have gotten you a smack in the back of the head in the old customer focused, everyone is important mindset that freaking BUILT Disney. I mean, this is like seeing a loved one dead. Disney has lost its way.. probably beyond repair at this point.
Did Walt smack the guy who suggested having a private club at Disneyland only available to the wealthy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom