Is this really a thing or is it April 1ST? Cabanas in the parks.

Matt in the Hatt

Have you seen them? If not how do you know whether they will affect you or not? On busy days, Tomorrowland can be a nightmare to negotiate. What if these tents make it even worse?

From the photos i have seen they seem pretty tucked back, but its always possible i am wrong about that

Matt in the Hatt

It's not always the blatant things that affect us. Sometimes it's the underlying attitude that eventually gets under even the thickest of skins. The idea that Disney would portion off a part of what used to be our, the ticket buying public's, park and make it as class divided a place as it is becoming, is subtle. You cannot immediately behold what it subconsciously does to your extended enjoyment of your fantasy worlds. The place that you saw as a refuge from the one sided world that we live in. A place where a person that is struggling and busting their butts to see now only cares about those with large wallets and you, as a lover of Disney are not even a blip on their radar.

Your conscious self does not necessarily see that when you walk past the $650.00 per day camping tents, but, there will be a spot in your mind that will pick up on how little they care about you, how little they care about the ambiance of MK or any of the other parks, how little they care if you are pushed aside because you have to work hard for your money and only want to be in a fantasy environment where for a moment in time you can be exactly the same as anyone else in the place. That is gone. You won't necessarily miss it right now, but, you will and you might not even know why you are no longer feeling the love and joy you once did. But, it will happen. So to say it doesn't matter to me, is a testament to the fact that we are getting more and more tunnel visioned and cannot see past this very moment. Financially, they will not affect me because even if I could afford to throw away that much money for almost nothing in return, I wouldn't be that ignorant. Emotionally, it has already taken it's toll and the place that I once used as a perfect daydream to get me though some tough times, no longer emotionally exists, affects me beyond the cost of a hiding place within a happy place. To me it marks the end of a great thing and even if they now decide it isn't a good idea, it has already done that damage to my vision of the place. Just the idea that they would think it was worth a try tells me how little they really understand what was once the Disney draw.

I am sorry to read that it made me genuinely sad. Maybe because I haven't been as much as others as an adult but it still feels magic to me.

Bandini

I am sorry to read that it made me genuinely sad. Maybe because I haven't been as much as others as an adult but it still feels magic to me.
Perhaps you will notice all of the incremental losses as you continue to visit the parks. That's what I notice. It's not the big changes. It's the little stuff that's disappeared. It's the slow erosion of the "magic".

Goofyernmost

I didn't mean to put you down, but, those of us that have been Disney geeks for years and years see the difference and feel the difference deep inside. We have been around long enough to know what they original offered us as opposed to what it does now. That doesn't mean that they don't still offer good things, it's just that the attitude has become more and more one sided and it has indeed lessened that magic if not completely crushed it for very many of us.

I never went as a child, I started out as a 35 year old adult with two children visiting 34 years ago and it hooked me in solidly. That feeling is no longer there no matter how much new technology is introduced. I no longer feel like I'm wanted there after spending, literally 10's of thousands of dollars there over the years. That apparently was not good enough. I have been relegated to second class citizen in the very place where I went to escape that feeling.

Matt in the Hatt

but hasnt there always been some of this. Club 33 at disneyland, i will be staying at pop century and others at the grand floridian, i might be eating at cosmic rays while others are at victoria and alberts (admittedly i would rather be at cosmic rays but thats a whole different argument).i get this is different because its in whats been a common area. And now that i think about it i might be a total hypocrite because if you ask me about the dvc lounge in the old imaginationworks and i can give you an earfull but thats less that there is a dvc lounge and that its an area where i had alot of fun as a child and i hold out hope for the original imaginations return, again thats another topic though

Figments Friend

You can also get in to Club 33 or 1901 Lounge by doing business with, or being hosted by, one of the companies that have memberships there. I have been to Club 33 and 1901 a few times in the last 15 years by being a guest of Standard Oil of California (Chevron). Those types of corporate guests make up a huge chunk of the people dining or drinking at either location, especially at dinner time.

And that's why a Club 33 has never been built in Walt Disney World, while Club 33's exist in Anaheim and Tokyo; the local business community of Orlando simply isn't big enough or affluent enough to support such a concept.

Thanks TP for mentioning that aspect.
I had totally forgotten about the Corporate membership angle, which is actually why the Club was created.
Uncle Walt wanted a nice place to wine n' dine corporate sponsors associated with Disneyland.

Visiting the Club is well worth the experience if you are able to.
Recommend it.

-

lentesta

Premium Member
Which, is amazing because...you know...there's only $650 a night rooms that are accessable by a giant concrete monorail beam not that far away... 'Spose they'll whisk these folks to these tents on little electric golf carts too?

I looked up Grand Flo rates just for giggles. The low is $640 w/tax next year for outer building, garden view, no discounts.

I see the appeal of in-park cabanas, especially on days of higher attendance where getting back and forth to your hotel, even the GF, can be an hour or so (wait for the boat, walk to room, the reverse trip back to the park, security, etc.). With 8 people, it's $80/person. Two or three families with very small children can rationalize that (I'm assuming 1 or 2 parents and 1 small child per group). It's the placement and theming that irks me.

Don't give them any ideas on the golf carts, eh?

rael ramone

So what I've heard is that it's a test in the MK, and soon in Epcot. If it's successful, planners have already set aside 1.5 acres in DLR and in DHS's Star Wars areas for more substantial versions of them.

If you're familiar with the term Hooverville, I'm calling these Igervilles. Maybe Igertown or Iger City.

Actually I've been calling the areas that the CM's have to live due to their generous compensation (old former Best Westerns, their cars, etc.) Igervilles. (Always bolded). Perhaps 'Chappie-quiddick'?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So much hubub about nothing. They took an unused area ( circia 2004, that's 12 years so you don't have to take off your shoes) and monetized it as well as providing additional cast member hours.. Exactly what did it remove from the average guest ? Its not as if they shut down the Skyway to the tangled bathrooms just for this... maybe the Trilateral Commission has a hand in it.

NYwdwfan

So they are giving off site visitors a place to relax, away from the shops where they could be spending money, as well as discouraging people from spending money on the park hopper because they already paid for a full day cabana (they are sharing with others :rolleyes:), all the while ruining the aesthetic of the park. I just can't grasp how this is actually a thing.

Side note - has anyone called to ask if you are actually sharing the cabana and what the listed amenities are?

rael ramone

Thoughts:

1. That they did this.
2. That they look cheap as all get out.
3. That they aren't even exclusive.

That last one multiplies the awfulness of it. The greed of it. That last one, if true, pushes it into the realm of making it really worthless to someone who truly wants an exclusive VIP experience. Perhaps there's a segment of parkgoers that may benefit from this for health reasons. But if they don't, and they spend $650 on a cabana that they don't even get to keep to themselves, then they officially have too much money. There are some good charities out there that could use that cash.

But it could get worse. How much space will they take up in SWL? What happens if their desire to expand this program exceeds the available park footprints?

rob0519

I didn't mean to put you down, but, those of us that have been Disney geeks for years and years see the difference and feel the difference deep inside. We have been around long enough to know what they original offered us as opposed to what it does now. That doesn't mean that they don't still offer good things, it's just that the attitude has become more and more one sided and it has indeed lessened that magic if not completely crushed it for very many of us.

I never went as a child, I started out as a 35 year old adult with two children visiting 34 years ago and it hooked me in solidly. That feeling is no longer there no matter how much new technology is introduced. I no longer feel like I'm wanted there after spending, literally 10's of thousands of dollars there over the years. That apparently was not good enough. I have been relegated to second class citizen in the very place where I went to escape that feeling.

Agreed. Disney is becoming a class system destination. As a public corporation, it is their right and their responsibility to make as much money for their shareholders as possible. I agree, it's not the same as it was when we started our visits in 1996 and I'm sure by now we have spent probably close to $100K only to now see that is pocket change to the 1% of the world population Disney is courting.

Yes, it's still mostly pleasant and enjoyable, but certainly not the same. As for "it doesn't affect me", yes it does. Small changes happening over time can go unnoticed until one day suddenly you realize all the things that have been removed or altered. It's sort of like the frog in the pot. If you heat the water slowly, the frog won't realize it until its too late. Fast pass to watch parades and fireworks, paid dessert parties to watch parades and fireworks all take away what used to be viewing spots included in your price of admission. Tucking cabanas in a corner could be technically the first step in taking away more free space.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's not always the blatant things that affect us. Sometimes it's the underlying attitude that eventually gets under even the thickest of skins. The idea that Disney would portion off a part of what used to be our, the ticket buying public's, park and make it as class divided a place as it is becoming, is subtle. You cannot immediately behold what it subconsciously does to your extended enjoyment of your fantasy worlds. The place that you saw as a refuge from the one sided world that we live in. A place where a person that is struggling and busting their butts to see now only cares about those with large wallets and you, as a lover of Disney are not even a blip on their radar.

Your conscious self does not necessarily see that when you walk past the $650.00 per day camping tents, but, there will be a spot in your mind that will pick up on how little they care about you, how little they care about the ambiance of MK or any of the other parks, how little they care if you are pushed aside because you have to work hard for your money and only want to be in a fantasy environment where for a moment in time you can be exactly the same as anyone else in the place. That is gone. You won't necessarily miss it right now, but, you will and you might not even know why you are no longer feeling the love and joy you once did. But, it will happen. So to say it doesn't matter to me, is a testament to the fact that we are getting more and more tunnel visioned and cannot see past this very moment. Financially, they will not affect me because even if I could afford to throw away that much money for almost nothing in return, I wouldn't be that ignorant. Emotionally, it has already taken it's toll and the place that I once used as a perfect daydream to get me though some tough times, no longer emotionally exists, affects me beyond the cost of a hiding place within a happy place. To me it marks the end of a great thing and even if they now decide it isn't a good idea, it has already done that damage to my vision of the place. Just the idea that they would think it was worth a try tells me how little they really understand what was once the Disney draw.
Welcome to the Dark Side. Its fun here. We have cookies.

Sonconato

Actually I've been calling the areas that the CM's have to live due to their generous compensation (old former Best Westerns, their cars, etc.) Igervilles. (Always bolded). Perhaps 'Chappie-quiddick'?
586x330

Fortunately, this disaster won't bring death. Sorry, but being a Bostonian this is immediately what comes to mind. RIP Ted Kennedy and Mary Jo Kopechne.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom