Is this really a service dog?

crawale

It's out of hand everywhere now -restaurants, and even the local grocery store. It's blatantly obvious that people are abusing the whole "service dog" exception, and it shows zero respect for anyone else. The entire model relies on the idea that only a select few people really need these dogs for approved handicaps. I must have seen no less than 5 or 6 dogs in the grocery store the other day, all of them untrained and some of them barking. I spoke to management and the issue seems to be the liability associate with questioning whether these animals really are service animals. What is beyond me, is where people feel entitled to bring their dogs to places where they aren't allowed. ESA? WT_? Are you walking the animal or is the animal walking you? Sounds like you probably aren't well enough to leave to the house.
Totally agree. You should stay home with your animal if you can't bear to be parted from it - not everyone loves your animal the way you do. Animal danger produces allergies in some people - with all the emphasis on cleaning you'd think Disney would ban dogs and cats.

mallie

This is a recent video of a "service dog". Now it is my understanding that service dogs don't act like this. I have never seen a service dog play 'fetch' as the owner says 'go get it...go get it'. Or chasing some sand kicked by the owner...

Someone enlighten on this. Fake service dog? They're at the Beach Club resort on the beach as well which irritates me as well.

Yeah it is fake. I have a service dog and I also know that service dogs dont act like that. They have recall, that "service dog" did not. They most of the time never break a stay, unless it is to alert. That dog broke the stay and went to chase sand. They have to focus on the handler, that dog didn't. And they have to do what the handler asks (they arent robots) but they have been trained for over 15000 hours and, obviously that dog wasn't trained at all. They also cost around 40,000 dollars and that is why we (other handlers and I) hate it when there are fake service dogs around because these dogs are saving our lives daily. (my service dog helps with POTS (fainting) and I can't really live without her) She also helps with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). I need her. If there was a real service dog there (which there most likely was because of the title "service dog beach") then the handler could have had a serious medical episode or worse, (they could have died because of the dog) (not the behavior but the fact that it distracted a real service dog and that the dog missed an alert.) (if you bring your pet into a non-pet-friendly place you can get fined a lot of money) I think that it would be nice if you or anyone sees a service dog that you leave it alone and forget and or pretend that it wasn't there, also talk to us handlers like we are normal people because we want to be treated kindly but like you would treat other people. (If you see a service dog dont go talk to it. you wouldn't go up to a person in a wheel chair and start talking to the chair not the wonderful person in it. right?)

jaklgreen

Yeah it is fake. I have a service dog and I also know that service dogs dont act like that. They have recall, that "service dog" did not. They most of the time never break a stay, unless it is to alert. That dog broke the stay and went to chase sand. They have to focus on the handler, that dog didn't. And they have to do what the handler asks (they arent robots) but they have been trained for over 15000 hours and, obviously that dog wasn't trained at all. They also cost around 40,000 dollars and that is why we (other handlers and I) hate it when there are fake service dogs around because these dogs are saving our lives daily. (my service dog helps with POTS (fainting) and I can't really live without her) She also helps with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). I need her. If there was a real service dog there (which there most likely was because of the title "service dog beach") then the handler could have had a serious medical episode or worse, (they could have died because of the dog) (not the behavior but the fact that it distracted a real service dog and that the dog missed an alert.) (if you bring your pet into a non-pet-friendly place you can get fined a lot of money) I think that it would be nice if you or anyone sees a service dog that you leave it alone and forget and or pretend that it wasn't there, also talk to us handlers like we are normal people because we want to be treated kindly but like you would treat other people. (If you see a service dog dont go talk to it. you wouldn't go up to a person in a wheel chair and start talking to the chair not the wonderful person in it. right?)
This is a very old thread. Last post was in 2020. But we just recently got back from WDW and saw several "service" dogs sleeping in a stroller while the owner pushed them around. What kind of service can a sleeping dog, in an enclosed stroller be providing?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
This is a very old thread. Last post was in 2020. But we just recently got back from WDW and saw several "service" dogs sleeping in a stroller while the owner pushed them around. What kind of service can a sleeping dog, in an enclosed stroller be providing?

Happy Whats Up GIF by TikTok

mergatroid

Saw far more dogs in the parks over two weeks than I've seen ever before. I would say in just the first 2 days alone that I'd seen as many as I'd seen in any previous visit of 14 days combined. No idea how many were 'legit' or not, if I'm honest I'm not even sure what 'legit' is nowadays? However judging by the behavior of some, I'd say they weren't trained to anywhere near the standard of what we call guide dogs in the UK (dogs for blind people). I'm aware that 'service animals' aren't just to guide blind people, I just hope all those I saw were there for a good reason and not just because people just wanted them there for none essential reasons.

Steve-O from Jackass has a service dog now, it was a homeless dog he paid to take back to America after it followed him in the streets abroad one day. It's great he rescued it, just seems odd that he now can take it places the rest of us can't for unknown reasons because it's classed as a 'service animal'. If he can't go somewhere safely without it then fair enough, if he can then it seems strange and kind of unfair.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Saw far more dogs in the parks over two weeks than I've seen ever before. I would say in just the first 2 days alone that I'd seen as many as I'd seen in any previous visit of 14 days. No idea how many were 'legit' or not, if I'm honest I'm not even sure what 'legit' is nowadays? However judging by the behavior of some, I'd say they weren't trained to anywhere near the standard of what we call guide dogs in the UK (dogs for blind people). I'm aware that 'service animals' aren't just to guide blind people, I just hope all those I saw were there for a good reason and not just because people just wanted them there for none essential reasons.

Steve-O from Jackass has a service dog now, it was a homeless dog he paid to take back to America after it followed him in the streets abroad one day. It's great he rescued it, just seems odd that he now can take it places the rest of us can't for unknown reasons because it's classed as a 'service animal'. If he can't go somewhere safely without it then fair enough, if he can then it seems strange and kind of unfair.
I wrote this before and I will say it again there are people that abuse the the term "service dog". I have also mentioned before waiting in line at Disneyland and the couple behind us had a small dog and the wife was crowing to her husband how great it was they didn't have to pay the pet fee at the hotel since they called her a service dog. I turned around and looked at the dog and said that was not a service dog. The wife said she is she has the vest to prove it and then I showed her on my phone how I could order that vest from Amazon too.
I will add that it's really not fair to bring these dogs I to parks. It's not a conducive atmosphere for animals that have not been REALLY trained to be a service animal and they should start taking these animals from people that abuse the laws as being cruel to the animals.

Last edited:

Diamond Dot

This is a recent video of a "service dog". Now it is my understanding that service dogs don't act like this. I have never seen a service dog play 'fetch' as the owner says 'go get it...go get it'. Or chasing some sand kicked by the owner...

Someone enlighten on this. Fake service dog? They're at the Beach Club resort on the beach as well which irritates me as well.

I have a friend who has been blind her entire life who has a genuine service dog, I know the difference between a true service dog and what is not one. On my recent trip I noted that all ESA dogs were with young women, every last one! ESA animals are merely family pets with store bought vests, they may be trained, but, no differently to any other pet and Disney needs to stop allowing them in as over the years I have seen some troubling behaviour, including snappiness, growling at people, skittishness and at AK a few years ago one being allowed to defecate at Pandora and the owner just walked away. Service dogs are working dogs and you rarely see them at Disney, usually service dogs in the parks are for people whose dogs are trained for tasks to help people with physical disabilities, like K-9 unit dogs you are not allowed to pet them unless they are not working, the same for all service dogs. I did note on this trip that there were CMs leading blind guests around the parks, talking to them and making sure they were safe among the crowds, something I thought wonderful for both guests and their service dogs, if they had one, who were clearly having a day off.
The thing is that I believe Yacht Club is a dog friendly hotel, which is great, I'm still waiting for a cat friendly hotel and people will buy these vests to get their pets into the park. But, when you see people walking their ESA dog and chatting away to companions you have to question what does the dog do that their companion can't. I still can't get over seeing a so called 'ESA' pooch dressed up as Woody from Toy Story and being pushed around EPCOT in a stroller. Let them walk along the Boardwalk or if you are so inclined, at Disney Springs, but, only genuine and properly trained service animals should be allowed in the parks and, no, I don't need the ADA regulations quoted to me because they do not cover ESA animals.

ppete1975

To be fair, alot of the long time posters might be slightly triggered by this post reemerging. At one point there were a few posts about this subject including a very infamous person that most agreed took advantage of the policy and even sued disney. She then died, which to the boards unexpectedly (no idea if it was or not, just a shock to most on here), since then we have kind of just let the subject rest and people didnt want to bring it back up.
Can it be abused.. yes
Can Disney do anything? not in this current landscape.. no
Its up to the government (who i dont like regulating our lives any more than any one else) to put rules and regulations about it.
I look at it this way... the movie dog (which I enjoyed) if that dog was called a service animal.. would you even feel safe? Most of the dogs I have seen are not vicious at least, but without federal or state regulation bad things can happen from calling any animal a service animal.

Anyhoo... if you get some negative comments, or seemingly agitation.. this might be why. Have a beautiful day :)

JIMINYCR

And your proof is ?
The vast number of untrained, unruly, uncontrolled dogs everywhere that are being called service dogs. Owners who dont know how to properly handle those dogs in public. The number of fake vests and ID cards being peddled on multiple sites. The number of people taking advantage of a lack of federal guidelines controlling the criteria of what is considered a service dog and lack of punishment when someone has falsely represented their pet as a service dog.
People naturally take advantage of any situation when they feel they can benefit from it. Businesses and Disney are unable to address the situation because they dont have the authority. Therefore more and more guests do what ever they want knowing they wont be held accountable.

correcaminos

If it's not helping a visually impaired person there's a 99.9% chance the dog is a fake.
Not always true. I know I've seen some with people who were wheel chair bound and acting like a legit service dog like my college buddy had.

I have toured with a service animal that belonged to my friend. Since the dog is for sight, and not going solo humans could be used. Future trips they have left their dog at home. It's hard on animals who are great workers. It was easier to have a sighted person help.

However I have seen a lot more dogs that I question as legit than not....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom