Is this a Disney copyright violation?

JodiR

Original Poster
I know a company that is selling items with the Disney name attached. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc. There is no copyright symbol after the name. This has to be a violation, correct?

lilclerk

I technically have no idea what I'm talking about, but with Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.. those were stories long before Disney got a hold of them. I'm thinking that as long as they're just using the names and not the (probably) copywritten drawings of the characters, it would be okay.

Again, I'm just guessing :shrug:

JodiR

Original Poster
But does Disney own the copyright to the names (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Rapunzel, Pink Pauper)?

lilclerk

But does Disney own the copyright to the names (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Rapunzel, Pink Pauper)?
I really doubt it (not positive) as Disney did not create Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty or Snow White (Rapunzel and the Pink Pauper are not Disney movies.) They were fairy tales long before then.
Again, I'm only talking about the names. If the company is using likenesses of the character drawings used in the movies, that could be a problem.

Yes, as long as the company is simply using a Blonde princess in a Blue ballgown and calling her Cinderella and not claiming it as "Disney's Cinderella," then I believe they're fine. If the image, however, is obviously the exact same to Disney's interpretation of the character, then I believe it may fall under that copyright area.

The names, however, are not technically Copywritten, uness you get into using "Beauty and the Beast" v. Belle. Belle is Disney's named interpretation of the herione of that story. Sleeping Beauty is a name thought of long before Disney got their haands on it, however Princess Aurora is their specific claim to the character. Snow White and Cinderella, again, not Disney creations, simply interpretations, therefore the names can be used by anybody. And since Disney didn't specifically name the characters to be their own, then anybody can use them. Hope that sheds a bit more light. :)

DHStutzman

Yes, as long as the company is simply using a Blonde princess in a Blue ballgown and calling her Cinderella and not claiming it as "Disney's Cinderella," then I believe they're fine. If the image, however, is obviously the exact same to Disney's interpretation of the character, then I believe it may fall under that copyright area.

The names, however, are not technically Copywritten, uness you get into using "Beauty and the Beast" v. Belle. Belle is Disney's named interpretation of the herione of that story. Sleeping Beauty is a name thought of long before Disney got their haands on it, however Princess Aurora is their specific claim to the character. Snow White and Cinderella, again, not Disney creations, simply interpretations, therefore the names can be used by anybody. And since Disney didn't specifically name the characters to be their own, then anybody can use them. Hope that sheds a bit more light. :)

you have it 100% correct chief. :)

sbkline

I really doubt it (not positive) as Disney did not create Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty or Snow White (Rapunzel and the Pink Pauper are not Disney movies.) They were fairy tales long before then.
Again, I'm only talking about the names. If the company is using likenesses of the character drawings used in the movies, that could be a problem.

I think Rapunzel IS Sleeping Beauty isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, the sleeping Beauty character was originally named Rapunzel, but Disney, for it's version, named her Aurora.

Not that it matters, because I agree with the explanations given. Disney has copyrights to their versions of these stories, but the stories themselves were Grimm's Fairy Tales, before Walt Disney was even born.

Wilt Dasney

I think Rapunzel IS Sleeping Beauty isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, the sleeping Beauty character was originally named Rapunzel, but Disney, for it's version, named her Aurora.
Rapunzel was the chick with the loooooooooong hair who helped her prince climb up to her by dangling it from her bedroom as a rope. (Yeah, ouch, but hey....true love and all, right?) Anyway, I don't think the two stories are connected.

sbkline

Rapunzel was the chick with the loooooooooong hair who helped her prince climb up to her by dangling it from her bedroom as a rope. (Yeah, ouch, but hey....true love and all, right?) Anyway, I don't think the two stories are connected.

Ya, you're right...I'm getting my stories crossed. Now that I think of it, it's Brier Rose that is the original name for Sleeping Beauty in Grimm's Fairy Tales.

I have a book of the complete Grimm's Fairy Tales that I bought almost 20 years ago. It's the complete stories, and not the "Readers Digest" versions you find in the kiddy books. And the original versions of those stories were much more gruesome than the Disney interpretations. The original Grimm's Cinderella, for example, has the wicked stepsisters cutting off their heels and big toes in order to fit the glass slipper on, and the prince noticing that these girls can't be the owners because of all the blood in the shoe.

wickedfan07

Ya, you're right...I'm getting my stories crossed. Now that I think of it, it's Brier Rose that is the original name for Sleeping Beauty in Grimm's Fairy Tales.

I have a book of the complete Grimm's Fairy Tales that I bought almost 20 years ago. It's the complete stories, and not the "Readers Digest" versions you find in the kiddy books. And the original versions of those stories were much more gruesome than the Disney interpretations. The original Grimm's Cinderella, for example, has the wicked stepsisters cutting off their heels and big toes in order to fit the glass slipper on, and the prince noticing that these girls can't be the owners because of all the blood in the shoe.

Well that's a delightful story... :lookaroun I'm rather glad they left that part out.

And on a somewhat connected note, I think Rapunzel becomes a Disney Princess in 2010. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it will be the first Disney CG Princess movie.

related question

I had a copyright violation question, too. At a local cinema, they have a room which guests can rent to host parties, and I noticed they had several Disney characters painted on the walls, (also a couple of Dreamworks characters). Are they violating any copyrights with these painted images? If so, should someone be notified or is it no big deal?

Here's a pic of the room:
0706081651og2.jpg

Laura

Premium Member
I had a copyright violation question, too. At a local cinema, they have a room which guests can rent to host parties, and I noticed they had several Disney characters painted on the walls, (also a couple of Dreamworks characters). Are they violating any copyrights with these painted images? If so, should someone be notified or is it no big deal?

CATASTROPHE! Call the FBI! IMMEDIATELY! :eek:

Although I don't know much about the orginal story, I know in the century old ballet Sleeping Beauty, Princess Aurora is the name they use in the ballet, as well as alot of the same musical score!!!

Phonedave

CATASTROPHE! Call the FBI! IMMEDIATELY! :eek:

Yeah, that is one freaky looking Shrek.

In all seriousness, yes that is most likely a copyright violation. However, as long as they don't bill it as the "Disney Room" I doubt Disney will have much to say about it. It's more in the spirit of festive decoration, than using the Disney name.

-dave

sbkline

Well that's a delightful story... :lookaroun I'm rather glad they left that part out.

:ROFLOL: Ya, I'm glad that Disney, ummm...Disney-fied the stories. LOL However, I think there's still a place for the original versions, and I'm glad I have a copy of that book. That's just one example among many, but the original Grimms versions are much more gorey and serious.

To reverse the original question a little, I wonder if the Grimm Brothers had any heirs alive when Disney adapted these Grimm's Fairy Tales, such that Walt Disney had to get permission, or if the stories were in the public domain by that time.

Yeah, that is one freaky looking Shrek.

Haha yeah the characters have definitely seen better days!

In all seriousness, yes that is most likely a copyright violation. However, as long as they don't bill it as the "Disney Room" I doubt Disney will have much to say about it. It's more in the spirit of festive decoration, than using the Disney name.

-dave

Thank you for your reply. I initial took the pic because of how strange of the characters looked, when this thread sparked my curiosity.

jmvd20

yeah... I kinda gotta second that :)

What benefit do you get from this knowledge? How does IT benefit YOU?

Perhaps it is one small step in the pursuit of knowledge.

I've always questioned why people are so often questioned for asking questions...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom