Is There Something Special I Could do for My Mom on our Vacation?

Elonwy

Ok, here's the story. For my Mom's 50th birthday in 1996 my sister and I had planned a big party with all of our friends to celebrate. Unfortunately just before her birthday my Dad (her husband) passed away and we had to abandon our party plans. The next few months involved selling our house and moving...twice...so we never really got around to a big 50th birthday bash.

This past November was my Mom's 60th birthday. My sister and I again booked a restaurant to host a family gathering to celebrate, hoping this would make up for the "lost" 50th birthday party. The morning of her birthday my grandmother (her mother) died of cancer and once again our birthday plans were put on hold.

We are going to be at WDW in March of this year and it should be a great family trip. My Mom, her new husband, his 2 grandsons, my sister her husband, thier daughter and myself will all be staying at the Port Orleans Riverside and enjoying Disney for one week.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something special we can do to celebrate my mom's birthday while we're there? Please keep in mind she wouldn't want anything that would really shove her into the spotlight. Having characters dancing and singing at a restaurant table would probably embarass her more than anything else.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
El.

smk

Man, your Mom has suffered a lot of heartache around her birthdays. It is a good thing to be in WDW with her family around her, it will make her day special.

I would suggest a simple "birthday" button she could wear around the parks. I have read here many times people get special treatment on special occasions such as birthdays. Also, maybe a cake at a special dinner? Call the Disney Florist ( I think that is who to call!) If not them, then the front desk at your hotel can offer suggestions. I know that the hotels will recognize a guest birthday with balloons and cards, if they know in advance that is.

Good luck in your planning, have a great trip!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Spa treatment at Saratoga or Grand Floridian?

Afternoon tea at Grand Floridian?

Dinner at Cali Grill? Or budget permitting, Victoria & Alberts?

Renting a boat for the family in the Lagoon to have a private view of the fireworks in MK? (I know my mom would love this. The boats hold up to 10 people each, I believe. Expensive, but special, and split up amongst all the grownups in the group, it might not be too much. You might even be able to arrange a catered meal to eat on the boat before the fireworks...)

Either of the dinner shows? (Hoop de Doo or Poly Luau)

If she's religious, there's a gospel Brunch at House of Blues on Sundays.

Horse drawn carriage rides happen every night at Riverside, and you're already there...

La Nouba?

I think any of these would be a lovely surprise that will let your mom know how much you love her without shining a spotlight on here. You can arrange in advance to have a special cake or flowers delivered to her at her room or at a restaurant as well (if you know where you'll be), but of course, if that's attention she might not want, proceed with caution.

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: Hoop De Doo Revue. the whole family will utterly LOVE it.!! Plus, let the resort know ahead of time. they will deliver balloons and a signed card from Mickey and Minnie. really neat. also, the birthday button from the first park you go to at guest services! Every CM will say happy birthday. that shouldnt bother her too much!! makes ya feel special!! have a magical trip. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Elonwy

Original Poster
Thanks, There are some fantastic ideas in here. I'm going to start planning a great day for her.

I appreciate all the help

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

You could also look into the Wishes and or the Illuminations Cruise, everybody gets into a nice boat, you get a great spot to watch the shows and no one else around pushing their way to get a better view. Bring blankets from your rooms if it looks like it may be cold, and you can even order a pizza for the trips while in the boat, but they also offer snacks too. And we give you our sympathies for your losses.

Upvote 0

disneydancer2

Contact the front desk of your hotel. What a great idea to have a "special disney delivery" for her. Or even just taking her to a Luau at the Polynesian or another special dinner. You can definately celebrate without drawing too much attention to her that she doesn;t want. Whatever you plan, I am sure she'll enjoy it..just being on vacation with her family.

Have a great time! :wave:

Upvote 0

barnum42

what could be more special having her family around her on holiday in disneyworld? i think thats the ultimate
anything else is extra!

Sums it up for me.

Stock up on memory cards for your digital cameras and keep snapping like it's going out of fashion, then compile the best onto a CD. Maybe make a printed album of your favourites - either using an online service where you can make books or just print them off and put them in an album. She'd then have a great keepsake of an extra special trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom