is there ANYTHING "southern" about the Orlando area?

Meandude

IMHO it is not totally southern. I have done "The Sweet Tea Test" and it failed. I found sweet tea in just a few places, but not enough for my liking.

But after all they cater to sooooo many people sweet tea often gets left behind.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I'm from New England originally and raised in the Caribbean, and this is plenty southern to me.

The Ms is from Memphis, TN, and this is plenty northern to her.

To each his own.

Legacy

mkt said:
I live in Windermere, and 2 of the towns next to me, Ocoee and Winter Garden are both definitely southern.
Ocoee especially...

But Sanford and Deland are the most southern.

MissM

Florida, being a transplant state from everywhere up north as well as Canada, is definitely NOT part of "The South." Yes, there are some "southern" types and some redneck types but the vast majority are from somewhere else. We don't have southern accents down here and even the rare florida-born native doesn't have a southern accent.

It's an absolute melting pot.
-m

Erika

MuRkErY said:
I say Coke, but i'm from England, lol.

I've heard a few people say pop here though.

Ah, but that's Coke with a capital C-- do you say "coke" when you want a 7-up? Because that is Southern!

kap91

You are all forgetting about Dixie Stampede. :)

Seriously though, there really is nothing southern about the orlando area although there is some sort of rodeo/bull riding country thing in a club downtown. If you have spare time though, its always interesting to drive highway 50. Going West there are some sections that make you feel like you are driving in the mountains (Yes, I'm Serious), and there are some farms down there along with a lot of forest. There is a town that is nothing but two stoplights. Also there is Rogers Chrismas Village which is a very interesting thing to go to. Going East there is the town of Christmas, and Dixie Crossroads which is a fabulous resturant right by the coast. But the actual Orlando area doesn't really have a southern feel to it or midwestern or anything really. It has a Florida/Tourist feel to it.

Although there is that small horse farm on Universal Blvd.

napnet

MissM said:
Florida, being a transplant state from everywhere up north as well as Canada, is definitely NOT part of "The South." Yes, there are some "southern" types and some redneck types but the vast majority are from somewhere else. We don't have southern accents down here and even the rare florida-born native doesn't have a southern accent.

Evidently you havent been to the panhandle :) I would consider the panhandle to be south Alabama or Georgia. Here in Tallahassee, we might as well be in Georgia. Go visit Perry, FL if you ever want to visit the most redneck area of FL :)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
disneylands said:
yup i say "soda" (massachusetts), idk i think it sounds wierd when people say "POP".

I think its weird when people say "Soooooo-DUH" :lol: :lookaroun

I like POP! :slurp:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
orlandorealtor said:
It may not be apparent in downtown Orlando or the resort areas, but if you stray too far...(cue banjo music)

Polk County scares me...... *cue banjo music* :lol: :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
A Canadian point of view...

For me, everything south of the 49th is "Southern"... :lookaroun

Funny, when we say "South of the border", visiting Americans wonder why we're talking about Mexico... :lol:

pinkrose

jmaxwell007 said:
there is nothing southern about orlando except the longitude...... come hang in bham for the weekend and ill show you southerners........ and some rednecks too!

:lol:

everybody's gottem' but alabama gottem best.
Ain't that the truth. :lol:

pinkrose

LouDisney said:
I am from the south. I say coke, if I want a coke. If I want a Mt. Dew, I say Mt. Dew. They are different drinks and taste different, so I call them by their names. :lol:
Me too. When I "group" them all together, I just say "coke".

I've always had a hard time finding sweet tea in Orlando.

mrtoad

When I was 14 I went to England and Ireland on vacation. While waiting for a flight in England I went to every freaking shop in the airport wanting a Coke and being from New Jersey asked if they sold soda. Every person looked at me like I had 2 heads. Finally someone esle in one of the stores new what I was looking for and corrected me and I got my coke. They all thought I was looking to buy baking soda at an airport store (que the 2 head look)....

MuRkErY said:
I say Coke, but i'm from England, lol.

I've heard a few people say pop here though.

diddy_mouse

Yeah, I'm from the south but I currently live on N. VA and I don't consider my area the south (its a melting pot). But I do consider parts of FL "southern," however Orlando area is a toughie...there's too much diversity going on there. Now my grandparents live in rural SC....talk about sooooooouthern, whooee!! :D

Jen214

My Floridian (Tampa) best friend is constantly correcting me when I say "soda" saying I should say "pop". I'm from California and no one, seriously no one, I know says "pop". Of course, he's technically a Canadian... so... go figure. ;)

Epcot82Guy

ha ha. I used to be a "pop" person, but living in Tennessee for a year and a half and being Atlanta bound, I finally made the switch. I ADAMANTLY refuse to call them all "Coke" but I now buy "soda."

And as for FLorida as a whole, it's the only state I know that is reversed. I really believe you go farther "north" the deeper down you go! Weather is the only thing that hasn't caught on.

Jorma

Here is Texas it is coke.

"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah"
"What kind? We have Pepsi, Coke, and Dr Pepper." :lol:

One thing I miss on my visits to WDW is Dr Pepper.

Orlando, as well as most of central Florida, really is a melting pot.

elle72688

ctwhalerman said:
Use this horrible example as a test: if they say "coke" they are probably southerners, if they say "pop" they are midwestern, and if they say "soda" they are northeastern.

This is so true! We call it pop here in MN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom