Is there any news on the Epcot monorail?

-vickimouse-

Original Poster
I am getting frustrated that the Epcot monorail is not re-opening. Everyone is anxious for resorts and restaurants, but I am anxious for this Epcot line to re-start. Any insider info? I know there is no "news" or announcements from Disney yet. I'm surprised, frankly, that they wouldn't have it up and running pre- Memorial Day!!

jt04

Cost cutting while crowds are low and busses have enough capacity.

Disney considers the crater bad show for now or at least until they have no other option.

And three, possibly using the downtime to complete refurbishment of the fleet.

Not an insider, just my hunches.

castlecake2.0

It won’t return until:

1) capacity can be increased on the trains (they need all the trains they can get plus all three ferries running PLUS busses running at peak times to move guests from TTC to MK and back with currency social distancing)

2) they call back 30 ish more Cast that the department needs to have the EPCOT
station operational

I’d guess probably fall ish

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
All the reasons above are likely contributors. On property now and it was nice to see crews still working on beam cleaning on Epcot line last night (outside of the park). The parts of the line we’ve seen running around property so far look much better! If it’s got to be down, I’m glad to see the time is being put to use.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
A lot of CM's have been called back and the college program is restarting.
I'd say around Memorial Day you'll see all those CM's starting and capacity increase and more things like the monorail opening.

castlecake2.0

Needing more cast is just part of it, the big issue is needing the trains to keep people moving between TTC and MK. If you take trains away to service EPCOT then you’ll need busses to make up the difference at MK. There’s no point starting epcot again until the trains can have regular capacity back.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Needing more cast is just part of it, the big issue is needing the trains to keep people moving between TTC and MK. If you take trains away to service EPCOT then you’ll need busses to make up the difference at MK. There’s no point starting epcot again until the trains can have regular capacity back.
The Seven Seas loops are limited by track capacity aren’t they? Unless all 12 are running on resort and express.

Epcot_Imagineer

The Seven Seas loops are limited by track capacity aren’t they? Unless all 12 are running on resort and express.
How many trains are permitted by the blocking system on each of the loops? Additional question, is MOPA still what the blocking system is called or was that terminology phased out with all of the additional automation that was done?

castlecake2.0

So usually max capacity is however many stations are available. So that would be 5 on express and 5 on resort, but right now it’s only 4 until Poly station reopens. Currently they are taking 2 trains offline at a time for refurbs which leaves 10 available. So doesn’t seem likely they would want to strain the system until all trains are back in service and can be loaded pre Covid levels.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So usually max capacity is however many stations are available. So that would be 5 on express and 5 on resort, but right now it’s only 4 until Poly station reopens. Currently they are taking 2 trains offline at a time for refurbs which leaves 10 available. So doesn’t seem likely they would want to strain the system until all trains are back in service and can be loaded pre Covid levels.
That’s the theoretical maximum, but are they running that? Just asking since I’m not allowed in to see for myself.

HarperRose

There are only two stations on Express (MK and TTC).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom