Is there any news on the Epcot monorail?

orky8

I haven't seen them anything close to 100% since they re-opened last summer. For a long while they were at less than 20% and even with the segment dividers recently added you're getting maybe 8 or 9 people into a cabin section that used to pack in 25-30 depending on strollers

Exactly. They are well under half capacity

OK, well there's your problem. With each cabin divided into 4 sections, they should be getting way more than that on each train. How about 3+ people per section minimum. If you are a smaller party, take the walking path or ferry or make a new friend (preferably a vaccinated one). There, I solved the problem again :)

peter11435

OK, well there's your problem. With each cabin divided into 4 sections, they should be getting way more than that on each train. How about 3+ people per section minimum. If you are a smaller party, take the walking path or ferry or make a new friend (preferably a vaccinated one). There, I solved the problem again :)
You’re being ridiculous and ‘solving’ the problem with nonsensical solutions.

Disone

3 on each line and 3 in the roundhouse...

I don’t believe they’d ever go more than 4 on a line...especially after “the incident”
Incorrect. They quite frequently run four trains per line. Sometimes 5 on the resort line
This has nothing to do with any problem you perceive they’ve created for themselves nor does it have anything to do with any train refurbishments. You keep arguing points that don’t exist.

The resort line currently can barely handle the demand from the partially closed resorts it services to one park. Why do you think they rushed to finish the grand Floridian walkway and are encouraging guests to also use the available boat transportation. The resort beam capacity can not handle the added demand of the Epcot line at this time. There is no solution other than relaxing distancing guidelines on board the train themselves.
Regarding the pathway to Magic Kingdom, that project was approved and heavily under construction long before the quarantine shutdown occurred.

On reopening it really was not the case that it was rushed. It was actually somewhat slow down because it's completion would have added an additional entry point to the NBA Bubble at the Grand Floridian.

It would eventually quietly open after the NBA bubble was popped and also significantly after all the layoffs had occurred. (The layoffs had nothing to do with the bridge I'm just saying it for perspective of timing). The resort had been reopened for months before this pathway eventually opened with little to no fanfare.

As far as the Epcot monorail, The lines for the monorail at the Grand Floridian which I've seen.... are not tremendously long. They honestly do not give me the impression the resort line is maxed out.

There fore I don't think it's logistically impossible to run the Epcot monorail. But they are down a train or two for a refurbishment and it is just easier logistically to run the buses right now.

1) it removes a portion of population at the ticket and transportation Center that just there to transfer trains.

2) it avoids overhead sightlines into the construction pit that is the middle of Epcot.

3) allows for direct transportation from your Beam resort to Epcot

TrainsOfDisney

There fore I don't think it's logistically impossible to run the Epcot monorail. But they are down a train or two for a refurbishment and it is just easier logistically to run the buses right now.
Exactly. Same as the parking lot trams and the WDW Railroad. There are ways to operate them. Disney has chosen not to.

Disney could decide not to run any monorails on Monday’s and some posters would claim to know a secret reason why it’s impossible for the monorails to run on Monday’s.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
How many trains ran on the EPCOT line at any one time?

And when are they going to throw in the towel and just put in a TTC - EPCOT skyliner?! Skyliner is likely more efficient and long term cheaper than buying extra new trains to service both EPCOT and MK when they can save money only buying enough trains for MK.

peter11435

Incorrect. They quite frequently run four trains per line. Sometimes 5 on the resort line

Regarding the pathway to Magic Kingdom, that project was approved and heavily under construction long before the quarantine shutdown occurred.

On reopening it really was not the case that it was rushed. It was actually somewhat slow down because it's completion would have added an additional entry point to the NBA Bubble at the Grand Floridian.

It would eventually quietly open after the NBA bubble was popped and also significantly after all the layoffs had occurred. (The layoffs had nothing to do with the bridge I'm just saying it for perspective of timing). The resort had been reopened for months before this pathway eventually opened with little to no fanfare.

As far as the Epcot monorail, The lines for the monorail at the Grand Floridian which I've seen.... are not tremendously long. They honestly do not give me the impression the resort line is maxed out.

1) it removes a portion of population at the ticket and transportation Center that just there to transfer trains.

2) it avoids overhead sightlines into the construction pit that is the middle of Epcot.

3) allows for direct transportation from your Beam resort to Epcot
It was approved and begun before Covid. But it was one of the first projects resumed. There’s a reason why it wasn’t allowed to sit longer like so many other projects.

castlecake2.0

There is not enough trains to service MK and Epcot at the same time with the reduced capacity on the trains and the physical distancing needed at the stations. Busses would be needed to supplement the reduced capacity. It doesn’t make sense to have less trains on all 3 lines being supplemented by busses when you can have 2 lines operating fully and one replaced by busses.

Disone

I was being a bit sarcastic. But the monorails should not be running at and do not need to be running at 20% capacity. At worst it should be 50%.
Per car it's roughly 20 seats and 30 to 40 standing positions depending on strollers and wheelchairs. When you remove The Standing Room you clearly are going to be way below the 50% capacity. That leaves only the 20 seats of which the partitions themselves take four of those seats away. So now you're down to 16 seats.
It was approved and begun before Covid. But it was one of the first projects resumed. There’s a reason why it wasn’t allowed to sit longer like so many other projects.
Honestly it resumed because it was so far along and yet despite that its was delayed so many times.... Too many times. I had a personal stake in the project... I wish they had rushed it. Heck, if it had been on time in the first place it would have been opened prior to the shut down.

I don't know, it does sound reasonalble. That said In my involvement from the resort side I just never heard any conversations tied into the resort monorail capacity but that it would be a benefit of being there when the line goes down. Depending on weather it may be no help at all :) #floridaweather Eitherway It opened way too late in the post reopening to be an effective in assisting the resort monorail.

Disone

Exactly. Same as the parking lot trams and the WDW Railroad. There are ways to operate them. Disney has chosen not to.

Disney could decide not to run any monorails on Monday’s and some posters would claim to know a secret reason why it’s impossible for the monorails to run on Monday’s.
Love the example. Ita amusing because its true.

donsullivan

Premium Member
As it has been described to me, that Grand Floridian pathway was approved before COVID because it was part of a project to improve evacuation of Magic Kingdom in the event of an emergency. Magic Kingdom is the only park that had no pedestrian access option back to the parking area in the event of some event (no matter the cause) that rendered normal transportation options unavailable, or if a full evacuation was needed urgently.

monorail81

Disney could decide not to run any monorails on Monday’s and some posters would claim to know a secret reason w
They can’t run the WDW Railroad even if they wanted to. There are still sections of track missing right now, so........

TransportationGuy

Well that’s just silly, obviously they can’t operate on Monday’s because the earth gravitational pull is a little higher in the direction of Universal. You don’t really want the trains to fall of the track AND point towards Universal do you?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I am getting frustrated that the Epcot monorail is not re-opening. Everyone is anxious for resorts and restaurants, but I am anxious for this Epcot line to re-start. Any insider info? I know there is no "news" or announcements from Disney yet. I'm surprised, frankly, that they wouldn't have it up and running pre- Memorial Day!!
They are probably working on a way to charge extra for monorail rides 🤷🏼‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom