Is there any news on the Epcot monorail?

Dad 2 M & M

Thinking of heading over tomorrow or Thursday for a few days.....wanted to know if the Epcot monorail was running yet? Not sure the f I’m on the correct thread?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thinking of heading over tomorrow or Thursday for a few days.....wanted to know if the Epcot monorail was running yet? Not sure the f I’m on the correct thread?

Still not running. And likely won’t be running until there’s at least one more monorail resort capable of sending guests to Epcot, if I’m interpreting the tea leaves correctly.

jrhwdw

Still not running. And likely won’t be running until there’s at least one more monorail resort capable of sending guests to Epcot, if I’m interpreting the tea leaves correctly.
You mean the Poly?? That remodeling won't be done till late summer or the 50th correct?

cranbiz

Laying them off or something else? If its the former, see my comment below. I'm not sure we can fault them for making that decision.

I almost mentioned this yesterday, but held back. Largely because I don't know enough about how WDW's transportation team is staffed. I had the thought that maybe the lack of trained bus drivers on WDW's payroll is impacting other aspects of Disney's Transportation dept. Perhaps CMs working the water shuttles and the monorails are now needed to get the busses running. You know....all hands on deck.

But I held back, because I don't know how cross-trained the transportation CMs are. Can the monorail and water shuttle CMs actually drive the busses? (I legitimately dont know - anyone care to comment?). Maybe its cheaper/easier to cross train them than people off the street.
Legally, no unless the cross trained cast also have all the qualifications and work the maximum hours allowed by FDOT.

There are a lot of reasons cross training doesn't occur. Bus drivers are required to possess a Class B CDL with air brakes and passenger endorsements. So a different class of license than most have. There are maximum hours requirements that a bus driver can't exceed where any other cast member can. There are random drug tests that are required by DOT that other cast are not subjected to, a bus driver must have a current medical card in order to drive. Disney bus drivers have 2 weeks of driver test prep, learning the different types of buses used for circle checks, then actually taking the CDL test. In order to even get to that point the CM needs to have a class B learners permit with the appropriate endorsements and a DOT physical. One granted a class B CDL, then there is a minimum of two weeks full time training on general bus operations, driving and general site locations. Then there is individual hub training that lasts 2-4 weeks (5 hubs).

None of these are insurmountable but you can't just run a training class, host the tests, general site and specific hub training for a cast member who isn't going to regularly drive. Not to mention the logistical headache the transportation compliance office would have trying to track driver compliance.

Oh, then there is interim training as procedures change or new procedures are in place.

So, a watercraft ops CM can be cross trained in monorails, it's really almost impossible to cross train one for a moments notice to drive a bus.

Figment2005

Once the distancing requirements on bus transportation drops down to more normal levels the strain on the bus drivers will also be reduced. Remember it takes 3 times the busses right now to account for the guest traffic. Once busses are at a normal capacity we will have 3 times the bus drivers it seems we have now.

Dave B

I just saw that they are prepping for the possible return of the trams in the parking lot, anyone have any news on the EPCOT Monorial?

orky8

Someone on Disboards last week posted that a facebook group they're in had a posting by a retired monorail driver that his buddies were being called back to resume testing the Epcot line this week. But, boy is that a game of telephone I just posted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom