Is the Space Mountain refurb official or speculation?

JPVonDrake

Official name for the Contemporary Resort's DVC expansion. :wave:

Well technically then, its still the un-official name of the new expansion. (Sorry, could not resist!:lol:)

Officially, the expansion plans of Disney's Contemporary Resort becoming a DVC property and its future name are currently Internet rumors.

The official Disney statement is still...

"We are very excited about the prospects of a new enhancement coming to Disney's Contemporary Resort and we look forward to providing more details when they become available to share. In order to make room for the expansion, the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary has been demolished. This effort reflects the never-ending commitment to evolve the resort and its services for the future enjoyment of Guests who visit this popular location." :veryconfu :lookaroun

Spyne

Nothing official yet on the Space Mountain refurb, if it is happening. But I guess from what others have said, it's overdue for a refurb.

Austin1

Nothing official yet on the Space Mountain refurb, if it is happening. But I guess from what others have said, it's overdue for a refurb.

You're telling me! It wins the prize of the most overdue attraction in need of a refurb...ever, well at least as far as E-tickets go. Just make sure they keep the original sound track.

primetime52

A refurb would be great. Some people say the new one in DL shames WDW's SM now...

More than just SOME people say that...... myself included because I've ridden both and it's not even close.

I'd say the WDW version has even more potential since the building is alot bigger than DL's version (currently houses 2 tracks while DL's has always housed only 1). I'd like to see them turn WDW's version into a longer single track coaster.

I only have 2 knocks on DL's version, so I hope they don't make the same mistakes on WDW's.

1) DL's version seems a little bit short

2) At times in DL's version you don't feel much thrill because it just kind of goes around in circles alot, and seems to desire a few more dips and surprises.

yeti

A refurb would be great. Some people say the new one in DL shames WDW's SM now...

Well, considering you can't see the ceiling, and that you feel so fast you don't realize you're flying through a giant disco ball...yes, WDW's should feel ashamed.

the-reason14

Yea, WDW SM needs a refurb. Just fix up some effects, probably change the stuff seen on the lift, and maybe smooth out the track. Thats about it. Havent been on the DL one and dont really care, all I know is I likes "my" Space Mt., and if they make some drastic changes to it, then my end with WDW is near.

WDW1974

Yes. It is official.

The exact dates haven't been announced yet, but everything points to an 18-month closure starting on 1/1/09.

primetime52

Well, considering you can't see the ceiling, and that you feel so fast you don't realize you're flying through a giant disco ball...yes, WDW's should feel ashamed.

Can you elaborate on that? I guess that might explain my complaint that DL's version seems like you just go around in a circle alot.

Lee

Adventurer
Official means announced. They haven't announced it, therefore it isn't official.

Nah...
"Official" means that it has been greenlit, a budget has been allocated, WDI has a team assigned, contracts are out to contractors, and ops are putting plans into motion to get the job done.
Under those criteria, yes, it is official.

Announcing it just makes it public, which is really the least important step in something being "official."

WDW1974

Official means announced. They haven't announced it, therefore it isn't official.

Yes, you're right.

They also aren't building a DVC tower at the Contemporary and any number of dozens of other projects of various size and scope that are in various stages of development.

jt04

Yes, you're right.

They also aren't building a DVC tower at the Contemporary and any number of dozens of other projects of various size and scope that are in various stages of development.

That is what I believe also. There have been very few announcements and I think they might be waiting to have the announcements all at once. That would allow them to have a stategic response to everything happening at Uni and SW. I think it will all be centered around the 40th Anniversary of WDW though. So look for some cool stuf to be in place by 2011 IMHO :)

pax_65

Which SM is the best?

For those who have ridden all the SMs - DL, Tokyo, Paris, WDW - which one is the best?

If they're going to rehab WDW SM I'd like to see it be at least as good (if not better) than any other SM on the planet.

I sense that there's a tendency to go conservative on these refurb projects at WDW because there's so much else to draw crowds there. Heck, at WDW it's not even the only high-speed roller coaster in the dark. But I hope that doesn't happen here - I hope it's a MAJOR refurb. The ride needs it, and frankly Tomorrowland could use it too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom