Is the magic really gone?

Pluto Parking

Original Poster
I've hear many people say the Disney magic is gone. Web sites like
D-troops.com and others want to "Bring back the Magic" ,but has it ever left?
I think Disney has made many bad choices over the last few years but I still get the same great feeling when I go visit the parks. Don't you think Disney will snap out if this hard time? Look at the company from 1966-1988. That wasnt a golden time for Disney either. Are some of us being to hard on our favorite company? Are we like Star Wars fans that will never be happy?

Just Wondering?:confused:

imagineer boy

As long as the parks are open, the magic will never be gone. Although if the parks are kept in bad condition like it is now, the magic will remian, but get smaller and smaller.

KaliSplash

Obviously, most of the people you find on these boards are die-hard experts who know and appreciate every nuance (sp?) of change. Some we like and some we don't.
But I find the magic there everytime we go, including a 6-hour stop by on Wednesday afternoon and evening!
Having said that, there is still a tinge of sadness as we see lack of maintenance, reduced live performances, the disappearing AA in various attractions, the reduced hours of operation, etc.
Heck, I miss the Odyssey Restaurant and I only ate there once or twice. Despite the complaints about theme park fast food, at Epcot there are only two places to get a burger, the Electric Umbrella and the American Adventure. The Odyssey was an out-of-the way to pick up food my picky kids would eat.
There are countless changes that we complain about, but it is only because we love the place so much and we remember how wonderful everything was.
For those who are making their first visits, these may be the 'good-ole days' and that worries us.
But in the end, I still visit for at least a week each year and love every minute of it.

njblackberry

We did a quick trip there this past week. Two and a half days. One day at the MK. The Magic Is Still There. At least to our family. It's always something different. This time it was the superb Christmas Parade and the New Years Eve fireworks.

Can it be better? Of course. Is it still Magical. Yes.

Tramp

Ask first-time visitors!

The magic is still there. But, like seeing a trick over and over again, it no longer amazes as much as it did when you first saw it. :wave:

testtracker

I can tell the magic has declined over the years. Its just not that memorable anymore. After going to WDW twice a year for 13 years. I said I would never go anywhere but WDW. Well, this year we're going to universal and sea world. I know another family that did the same thing and didnt miss wdw at all. Im not so sure i won't either.

Slipknot

The magic isn't gone by far. But the way the suits are going about business, it is going down hill... fast!!!!!!!!

General Grizz

Heck no! The official slogan of www.d-troops.com is 'preserving the magic;' the teaser page is a little different, but we do hope to influence the return of some magic.

Clearly, there are areas where Disney needs help - quickly and desperatley! While other areas are sharply improving.

That's why you'll find D-troops a place where you'll be able to fight for preserving the existing magic and congratulate the magic Disney has brought us as of recent. :)

Merlin

Account Suspended
In recent years (I'd say for the past decade or so), Disney has become way too "corporate". Even though it has literally been a corporation since the 40's, it never really seemed to operate as a typical corporate mentality until several years ago. I realize that mentality lead to it's near takeover and distruction in the 80's, and I recognize the positive aspects to the change in mentality to some degree. I personally think that Michael Eisner joining the company was one of the best things to ever happen to it in Disney's entire history. However, they've really gone WAY too far and I think Eisner is almost more harmful to the company now than he was helpful when he first joined. Nowadays, the corporate side of Disney just seems so much more "in your face" than it ever was before. This, to me, has resulted in a MAJOR decline in the magic.

JeffH

The magic...

I've been going to WDW regularly since it opened (>3 weeks a year since 1973) and VERY regularly since 1995 (my daughter was born in 1993) and although some things have come and some things have gone, the magic is better than ever.
Aside from seeing the amazing addition of the whole Animal Kingdom, we've enjoyed the addition of many new magical attractions and shows including Fantasmic, Reflections of Earth, Wishes
And although the 'free-walking' live entertainment has been cut back (almost unnoticeably), the 'live' entertainment in the parks has grown.
The overall magic, though, especially recently, has been very special...especially at the Magic Kingdom (which is where we expect the 'special' magic to be).
The day starts off with the mayor announcing the arrival of the train at Main Street station filled with characters. The main street singers/dancers entertain to canned music as the train arrives, then a 'special' family officially opens the park throwing pixie dust from the train station.
Then for the rest of the day (except for around parade times), the square on main street is filled with a variety of characters doing meet and greet.
In addition, there are also many characters throughout the park also doing meet and greets at themed locations.
Then, of course, there is the princess breakfast, Pooh meals all day, and Minnie dinner at the Liberty Tree.
Also several times during the day, the main street singers/dancers do several a song and dance show based around the horse-carriage at various stops along main street.
The Cinderalla castle show features many favorite characters and live singing.
Unfortunately, the beautiful globe parade, which allowed the kids to participate was marred (and forever changed) by the death of a character. Hopefully, the next incarnation of the parade will again include the kids (although my daughter may be too old by then to take part).
We still have a marvelous night parade (and even saw the return of the old Electrical parade for a couple of years), of which I've learned to appreciate more now that I have realized that there are several float 'groups' that change color together, not just the last group.
On top of this, we now have fast pass. No longer do my daughter and I have to wait in a line, or have to kiss off Peter Pan (or any other ride) as an unreasonable wait. We can now plan whatever day we wish...now that's magic!
The night ends with the fabulous Wishes fireworks, and as you leave the park, Mickey stands on top of the train station waving and SAYING goodnight.

There was nothing like this before. In the past there was no character dining, and you had to be lucky to stumble upon a character (especially Mickey), and then had to contend with the long lines...it was quite frustrating, not magical.
No fastpass, if you didn't get on Peter Pan between 9-10, you had to wait at least 60 minutes to ride...it was quite frustrating, not magical.
5 years ago, my 10yo daugher rarely wanted to visit the MK, preferring AK and MGM and Epcot (especially during the flower and garden festival), now MK has become her favorite park. This is most likely due to number of characters everywhere (even though she's doesn't do much meet and greet anymore, it's just the presence of the characters that make the park so much more special), the 'live' atmosphere of the castle show and main street entertainment, the results of having fastpass, the character meals, the parades, and fireworks.

At MGM, the parade, Fantasmic, as well as the characters that also 'infest' this park now make this her 2nd favorite park.

Laura

Premium Member
Not gone here. I still get the warm and fuzzies at the first whiff of the monorail on each vacation. :) If they ever removed the monorail, Pirates, Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, or Space Mountain THEN I'd be worried. But if they just want to keep switching around new attractions (like changing AE to Stitch) that doesn't bother me. AE didn't hold any sentimental value or magic for me.

longfamily

The magic is still here for us. However, I feel that Disney takes too many opportunities to require more money for less services. Every couple of years vacation packages change, becoming more expensive while including less perks. This makes me very unhappy. By doing things like this at this rate is unnerving and tends to alienate the consumer. The more they take away, the less likely we will go. that is where the magic ends for me.

Kadee

I think that for some people, the magic may be gone. Of course, those are the people who find fault with everything and everyone. The magic of WDW/DL is there for those of us who WANT to experience it everytime we go. I do! I get every emotional and all tinglely inside just driving down through Florida knowing that I'm going to WDW. And when I hit I-4 off the turnpike......It really hits. You can just imagine how I get when I drive under the Walt Disney World sign or walk through the gates. The magic is not something tangable......It's the essence of Walt and everything he wanted WDW to be. It's the smile on my daughter's face the first time she saw Mickey. It's the giggle coming from every child when they see Goofy. It's the tear that falls when I see the castle for the first time each trip. It will never be gone as long as there is at least one true fan.

speck76

The magic is there........it has suffered over the last 3 years, but it really kind of HAD to.......for financial reason, 9/11, the poor economy, the magic was less apparent that it was previously.

As for the magic you feel......that depends on you.

nibblesandbits

All I can say is not everyone is always going to be pleased. Walt Disney World is a place of change because if it didn't change then it would be stagnant and hardly anyone would want to visit if the place is stagnant. So for those who think the magic isn't there anymore because they keep taking things away and putting things in that "supposedly" aren't as great, take a look around again. Sure it's not the same as it used to be, but if we look at the real world today compared to 10 years ago, nothing is the same as it used to be.

The magic is there...it's just sometimes a little harder to find. I know I still feel it. I am getting so excited about my next trip. It is literally almost all I can think about and I still have a few months to go. Why am I excited? Because it's knowing that I am going to get to meet Mickey, see all the cool effects in the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribbean, visit Soarin and M:S which are supposed to be incredible rides (even if one is a clone, I still can't wait b/c I know it is going to be a very interesting experience), I get to visit the Animal Kingdom for the first time, and see the wonder that is Fantasmic. Most of these things I have never done before, but the reason I want to do them is because of how magical people have described their experiences with them.

The most important thing I have to say is that sure, there may be magic inside the parks, but the real magic is inside you. If you believe in the magic, even just a little bit, then there truly is magic inside the parks. Ignore all the petty things...sure things aren't the exact same as it used to be...but if you can get in touch with your inner child, you won't notice all the petty things. You will see the wonder of Disney World the way people are supposed to see it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I often think about this - would I be as half as concerned about this if I didn`t have internet access? I would see old favourites gone, but also ride new attractions. The storys and discussions on boards like this really open your eyes to the bigger picture (I`m not knocking the boards at all).

Its all relative anyhow - people in the UK will know what I mean when I think of Blackpool Pleasure Beach (a dump) and Alton Towers (best in the UK, IMHO) and then think of WDW. The magic may be faded slightly, but its still the best by far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom