Is the integration of digital technology within Walt Disney World impacting the experience of those with limited digital capabilities?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You're asking about the experience of those with digital capabilities in a digital milieu? Wouldn't users of a forum generally be *not* digitally incapacitated?

Have you checked with your professor about a study based not on randomly selected individuals, but by a self-selecting population? Because if you published such a study and I read how you gathered your participants, I would immediately dismiss its validity due to lack of randomization.

GuyFawkes

My husband and I fit all your criteria; however, I don't fill out questionnaires.
We have been going to WDW since l979, before the big tech push. It was a great time. Everyone was equal and waited in the same lines. There was no anger at waiting like there is now.
Our last visit was the first week of March, 2020, right when covid hit. We didn't use technology at all. We used our fast passes and just stood in line otherwise. If I wanted to check ride availability, I would just go to a kiosk to do so. It was easy.
Now? We would be at a big disadvantage at WDW.
We don't have a smart phone, nor do we want one. I have an old flip phone, and refuse to buy a new Iphone just to use in the parks. What a ripoff. I know most people have these, but there are still people who love disney who don't keep up with technology.
So, we would definitely be affected by the over use of tech at disney. We have decided to leave disney and go to other places for vacation. It is mostly due to the much named changes that disney has made, not just the tech.
I hope this info helps even though I don't do questionnaires. Maybe you should change your method from that to a set of questions that can be answered without involving a questinnaire.

You can buy smart phones for cheaper than you think.

GuyFawkes

You're asking about the experience of those with digital capabilities in a digital milieu? Wouldn't users of a forum generally be *not* digitally incapacitated?

Have you checked with your professor about a study based not on randomly selected individuals, but by a self-selecting population? Because if you published such a study and I read how you gathered your participants, I would immediately dismiss its validity due to lack of randomization.
Good point. Not sure how you would get around it for this study?

Walt Disney1955

If someone can explain to me how our lives are better with: Smartphones, Cell phones, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram then I would love to hear it. They aren't. We are missing life because of this and no one should be forced to use technology that is unnecessary. If you are unable to leave the house without grabbing your phone then your life is not better because of it, you are addicted to it without knowing it. Same thing with thinking you need a phone in order to enjoy a theme park.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
If someone can explain to me how our lives are better with: Smartphones, Cell phones, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram then I would love to hear it. They aren't. We are missing life because of this and no one should be forced to use technology that is unnecessary. If you are unable to leave the house without grabbing your phone then your life is not better because of it, you are addicted to it without knowing it. Same thing with thinking you need a phone in order to enjoy a theme park.
By having a smartphone, you don't have pull off the road to find a payphone to lie about why you're late, you can conveniently lie from your car (hands free, of course).

Last edited:

SteveAZee

Things I like about my phone:
- I have a very high resolution video and image capture device that automatically uploads everything to the cloud archive, which can then be immediately shared with friends and family.
- I have a GPS device with real-time traffic information and can find any resource 'near me' when I'm walking, riding, or driving.
- I can communicate with voice, email, video, or text regardless of where I am.
- I have access to movies, TV, music, and books wherever I might be to pass the time or to share with others... and can cast those things to other smart devices to be shared as well.

I have my phone because it's a valuable tool. As with most tools, it can be used, misused, and abused.

I dumped Facebook years ago, but I see the value at times to share with friends and family.
Twitter is a surprisingly good source of information if you know how to use it that way.
I won't try to defend Instagram. :)

JIMINYCR

Not neccessarily. One can easily access a site like this one and be able to take part in a forum but lack the skills to navigate Disneys system. There are many posts to this site that ask how to do simple things that they cant figure out.
In any case the answers to the questions are followed up by asking for examples for how the system had a negative impact so hopefully Disney will be curious with these findings and we would like to hope it could lead to a better functioning system. Im not counting on it happening but dreams can come true.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Not neccessarily. One can easily access a site like this one and be able to take part in a forum but lack the skills to navigate Disneys system. There are many posts to this site that ask how to do simple things that they cant figure out.
In any case the answers to the questions are followed up by asking for examples for how the system had a negative impact so hopefully Disney will be curious with these findings and we would like to hope it could lead to a better functioning system. Im not counting on it happening but dreams can come true.
That's textbook self - selection and an invalid way to poll.

Pepper's Ghost

Let's face it, the integration of digital technology within WDW is impacting the experience of EVERYONE negatively. Technology can be utilized for the benefit of most, but it hasn't been. Disney's use of rogue technology is for the gathering of data on every visitor and trying to control crowds to their liking.

I've not once heard or read anyone rave about how much they love Genie+. Some don't care one way or the other because it doesn't impact their visits since they don't do rides, but I've seen no one rave about and defend it. Again, some have said it won't dissuade them from attending, but I haven't seen those folks defend the app.

That said, I'm not a candidate for the questionnaire since I'm technically capable and nowhere near 60. I'm just making the point that everyone is impacted. The less technically savvy would of course, 100% be negatively impacted more than others. It's not a theory. It's hard fact.

MickeyCB

Huge favour needed!

I am a Master’s student at Glasgow Caledonian University studying International Tourism & Events Management. For my Master’s Research Project I am investigating the question: “Is the integration of digital technology within Walt Disney World impacting the experience of those with limited digital capabilities?”.

To gather data on this, I have a questionnaire that needs filled out by a very niche group of people who fit the following criteria:
- Have visited Walt Disney World in the last 5 years.
- Born in/before 1964 OR any individual who struggles to use/understand modern digital technology to the fullest extent.

If you fit this criteria, I would be so grateful if you could fill out my questionnaire for me to complete my research.

I have supplied a link to the questionnaire, but any questions please either email kcress200@caledonian.ac.uk or message here and I’d be more than happy to answer.

Thank you!

Kerry
I met the age criteria, and completed your questionnaire.
But I must say (and this in fact may prove your point), I found the questions to be vague or my ability to understand what you are asking unclear. I did my best.
Like others here, I think it would be great if you could provide some kind of feedback once you analyze your results.
I'm not afraid of technology/social media, etc., but can be intimidated by it till I force myself to understand it.

Baldy

My mother would like to participate but finds the online form intimidating. Can I read her the questions or print them out and fill out the questionnaire on her behalf?

Edith Sinclair

Huge favour needed!

I am a Master’s student at Glasgow Caledonian University studying International Tourism & Events Management. For my Master’s Research Project I am investigating the question: “Is the integration of digital technology within Walt Disney World impacting the experience of those with limited digital capabilities?”.

To gather data on this, I have a questionnaire that needs filled out by a very niche group of people who fit the following criteria:
- Have visited Walt Disney World in the last 5 years.
- Born in/before 1964 OR any individual who struggles to use/understand modern digital technology to the fullest extent.

If you fit this criteria, I would be so grateful if you could fill out my questionnaire for me to complete my research.

I have supplied a link to the questionnaire, but any questions please either email kcress200@caledonian.ac.uk or message here and I’d be more than happy to answer.

Thank you!

Kerry
Born before 1964 but not digitally challenged. Thought I would comment if it will help you. We were long time Disney fans and other parks, cruiselines as well. I spend a good part of every day connected and when I go on vacation the last thing I want to be tied to is my phone. I dont want to bring it to a park or cart it around with me on a cruise and definitely be forced to bring it to Castaway Cay. We had a cruise booked for last Sept on DCL and unless you had a phone you could do nothing. Husband and I have done 4 cruises since then on a different cruiseline who were more friendly to their guests. So yes. Being forced to be tied to a phone on vacation has impacted our plans. And the reservation system to enter parks makes it a stressful vacation rather than fun and relaxing. So we have decided to spend our vacation budget elsewhere. Unfortunatley we are booked on the first 2 maiden voyages of the Wish and will go but not looking forward to it. We have been diehard Disney fans for a long time and made many visits per year for the last 30 yrs. I even spent 2 months there one year. Current policies have put an end to that. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Heppenheimer

Like many on here, I am not IT-challeneged, and I've been obsessed with Disney World all my life. But this switch to forcing guests to pre-book everything and make you stare at your phone the entire time has killed any desire to return. I can barely predict what my two young kids will be up for an hour into the future, now I need to book everything weeks in advanced? No thankyou, I'll spend my discretionary vacation dollars elsewhere, Bob.

Pepper's Ghost

Threads like this from new members makes me wonder. Is it legitimate/real, or trolling? Aside from the initial few posts on the first day, the OP goes silent. Did they get what they want and leave, or is it a case of stoking the fire with a subject that has upset people? Maybe spamming someone else's email inbox since they publicly posted an email address? Usually it seems really clear when it's trolling, but this individual who supposedly is a Disney fan was very polite in response to some negative posts... impressively so. I just never understand when someone starts a thread and then disappears without further comment, especially in this case where they need feedback for their research project.

Also, what competent student starts a research project with 4 or 5 days for gathering data? Posted this Wednesday (22nd) with a deadline of Sunday (26th)? I'd think that you'd do weeks if not months of data gathering for a project to acquire a master's degree. Not a masterful approach to the project.

Anyway, just wondering.

JIMINYCR

Threads like this from new members makes me wonder. Is it legitimate/real, or trolling? Aside from the initial few posts on the first day, the OP goes silent. Did they get what they want and leave, or is it a case of stoking the fire with a subject that has upset people? Maybe spamming someone else's email inbox since they publicly posted an email address? Usually it seems really clear when it's trolling, but this individual who supposedly is a Disney fan was very polite in response to some negative posts... impressively so. I just never understand when someone starts a thread and then disappears without further comment, especially in this case where they need feedback for their research project.

Also, what competent student starts a research project with 4 or 5 days for gathering data? Posted this Wednesday (22nd) with a deadline of Sunday (26th)? I'd think that you'd do weeks if not months of data gathering for a project to acquire a master's degree. Not a masterful approach to the project.

Anyway, just wondering.
I suppose it could be a troll. Not that we’ve never had them before. But we don’t know that WDWMAGIC is the only Dis site he’s using to get responses from, secondly many OP’s post questions and don’t follow through with posting responses to those who respond and we don’t know how many members here did respond because not everyone might post that they did. Guess we’ll never know unless there’s a follow up disclosure to the project from the OP.
There’s been many posters who do ask for help with other research so we try to be kind and reply.

KerryDoesDisney

Original Poster
Hi everyone!

I am so very sorry I haven't been replying. I have been reading your messages over the weekend but I forgot my password to log in (I was away with work). I will happily reply to everyone now.

The questionnaire is now closed as I reached the required amount of participants. Therefore, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who completed it. The data collected is very rich and detailed, and better than I could have hoped for. I am now moving onto thematic analysis of the data for the next stage in my project. I will happily share the results once my project is complete (Mid-August) and my supervisor says its okay to do so.

Apologies for the late reply, and thank you again!
Kerry

Last edited:

KerryDoesDisney

Original Poster
Done. Hope it helps your project. Hopefully Disney can learn something from your results to better their system.
Thank you so much! The replies I have received have been amazing and very detailed. Yes I did wonder about sending the completed project onto them afterwards, but I'm not sure where would be best to start contact wise! Kerry x

KerryDoesDisney

Original Poster
My husband and I fit all your criteria; however, I don't fill out questionnaires.
We have been going to WDW since l979, before the big tech push. It was a great time. Everyone was equal and waited in the same lines. There was no anger at waiting like there is now.
Our last visit was the first week of March, 2020, right when covid hit. We didn't use technology at all. We used our fast passes and just stood in line otherwise. If I wanted to check ride availability, I would just go to a kiosk to do so. It was easy.
Now? We would be at a big disadvantage at WDW.
We don't have a smart phone, nor do we want one. I have an old flip phone, and refuse to buy a new Iphone just to use in the parks. What a ripoff. I know most people have these, but there are still people who love disney who don't keep up with technology.
So, we would definitely be affected by the over use of tech at disney. We have decided to leave disney and go to other places for vacation. It is mostly due to the much named changes that disney has made, not just the tech.
I hope this info helps even though I don't do questionnaires. Maybe you should change your method from that to a set of questions that can be answered without involving a questinnaire.
Hi Minnesota,

Thank you for your interesting and detailed reply - this is exactly the reason I wanted to look at this research question in the first place. Please do not worry about filling out the questionnaire, I was fortunate enough to get more than enough responses so it is now closed anyway.

Thanks again!
Kerry :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom