Is the Great Movie Ride next?

TDF

I understand what you are saying, but to me, they should work around GMR and the Earful Tower. They have been there from day one, and to me are significant. Also if you want Hollywood at all represented, the Chinese theater does that spectacularly.

This is an extreme case, and no one would ever be this idiotic, but the same prime real estate (though nowhere near the size) could be made for Cinderella Castle. Does the castle really do much, other then a photo op? Sure it has a hair salon which could be moved, one restaurant again movied, and a private suite inside it. That's the most major area of Magic Kingdom though. I mean think of the coaster or ride that could go there? It's based on a movie from the 1950, so maybe it's time is up. I'm saying this to be silly. Anyone who thinks that needs to go, clearly needs to reevaluate things. Technically though, GMR has been in the park from day 1. It and the Backlot tour were the only rides at MGM Studios when it opened. Backlot has been so gutted it really isn't what it was like opening day, but GMR is. Of course it's dated. But Disney has, in the past always tried to keep some history behind their attractions ala Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Mansion, Carousel of Progress, Spaceship Earth, etc. For me, GMR is that for Hollywood Studios.

I hear you to and you are completely right. Would DHS be really different without GMR? Of course it would be. It would be like MK without Cinderella’s castle. I said it once and will say it again I hope they don’t remove it. Regardless of the reason if they did I would hope something better would be put there. We as a society enjoy our common things and don’t want things to change, especially as we get older. So I can see a replacement of GMR a huge problem for some.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Well, as long as we're talking iconic movies, where's "Gone With The Wind" in GMR?

Of course the movie's most famous line couldn't be included... ;)

And then there's "To Kill A Mockingbird". Interestingly, Walt once said he wished his studio could make movies like that...but he knew that the public just wouldn't accept them.

Maybe we need to break the possibilities down to certain genres: the silent era, the movie musical, the gangster movie, the comedies, the western, sci-fi, the love stories. As it stands now, GMR has:

The silent era - nothing.

The movie musical - Singin' In the Rain, Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz and that stupid Burkley thing.

The gangster movie - James Cagney

The comedies - nothing.

The western - John Wayne and Clint Eastwood

The love stories - Casablanca

Sci-fi - Alien

Plus Tarzan!

As for possible replacements - again, GMR could remove the Busby Burkley scene and put in the silent/early film comedy scene that I suggested in another post. That would cover both comedy and silent films. Two birds with one stone. Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, Chaplin, Our Gang, perhaps even the Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello. Sort of a progression, a timeline of movie comedy.

Perhaps the Tarzan scene could be replaced with a scene representing the great swashbuckling films, like Robin Hood, The Mark of Zorro, The Three Musketeers, Treasure Island or The Count of Monte Cristo. That could be kinda awesome.

I think Alien should be replaced with a Star Wars scene. I suggested some time back that it should appear that we're inside the Millennium Falcon during a space battle with Darth Vader and so on. The ship could go to light speed and everything goes dark and then when the lights come back on we're in another movie scene.

The tornado scene should definitely be put back in before we hit Munchkinland . Maybe Ted Turner would be more reasonable this time around...

Also, it could be kinda cool if It's A Wonderful Life could be fit in there someplace, focusing on the scene with George Bailey, his wife and kids by a Christmas tree. We hear a tinkling bell, and one of the kids says "Look, Daddy, teacher says every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings." Yeah, kinda corny, but definitely iconic.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:

misterID

Once again im amazed theres another thread on this. Not gonna happen. Hey lets demolish spaceship earth or cinderellas castle while we're at it. Lol I see 0% chance of removing gmr in the near future. The only way I see it happening is IF they completely change the theme of the entire land down the road. I just cant see it happening. Id love to see an update though. The ride needs some love and tlc

There was a proposal to turn SSE into a "Time Racers" coaster and GMR into a thrill ride, but both buildings had structural issues that prevented it. Never say never. I never would have thought they'd demolish Horizons.

I'm actually anticipating the eventual announcement and I reckon I'll be making plans for one last ride again.

DisUniversal

Well, as long as we're talking iconic movies, where's "Gone With The Wind" in GMR?

And then there's "To Kill A Mockingbird". Interestingly, Walt once said he wished his studio could make movies like that...but he knew that the public just wouldn't accept them.

Maybe we need to break the possibilities down to certain genres: the silent era, the movie musical, the gangster movie, the comedies, the western, sci-fi, the love stories. As it stands now, GMR has:

The movie musical - Singin' In the Rain, Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz and that stupid Burkley thing.

The comedies - nothing.

Sci-fi - Alien

Plus Tarzan!

As for possible replacements - again, GMR could remove the Busby Burkley scene and put in the silent/early film comedy scene that I suggested in another post. That would cover both comedy and silent films. Two birds with one stone. Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, Chaplin, Our Gang, perhaps even the Marx Brothers and Abbott and Costello. Sort of a progression, a timeline of movie comedy.

Perhaps the Tarzan scene could be replaced with a scene representing the great swashbuckling films, like Robin Hood, The Mark of Zorro, The Three Musketeers, Treasure Island or The Count of Monte Cristo. That could be kinda awesome.

I think Alien should be replaced with a Star Wars scene. I suggested some time back that it should appear that we're inside the Millennium Falcon during a space battle with Darth Vader and so on. The ship could go to light speed and everything goes dark and then when the lights come back on we're in another movie scene.

The tornado scene should definitely be put back in before we hit Munchkinland . Maybe Ted Turner would be more reasonable this time around...

Also, it could be kinda cool if It's A Wonderful Life could be fit in there someplace, focusing on the scene with George Bailey, his wife and kids by a Christmas tree. We hear a tinkling bell, and one of the kids says "Look, Daddy, teacher says every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings." Yeah, kinda corny, but definitely iconic.

Just a few thoughts.
Or, here's a better suggestion for TGMR...
V_EC360C_HR_566x393.jpg

BigTxEars

The comedies - nothing.

Sci-fi - Alien

Plus Tarzan!

Just a few thoughts.

What about a war movie or two?

Bridge Too Far or Longest Day come to mind. I could see Saving Private Ryan but prefer either of the first two :)

BigTxEars

Of course it will get updated. Olaf and friends will be added to the movie clip scene :)

They did make movie history :) But I would prefer to see Little Mermaid instead. I like the movie Frozen better but LM had a huge impact on the rebirth of animation IMO, whereas Frozen just made box office.

Plus I rather see a co-ed in a mermaid suit than some dude running around in a Olaf costume :)

disney4life2008

They did make movie history :) But I would prefer to see Little Mermaid instead. I like the movie Frozen better but LM had a huge impact on the rebirth of animation IMO, whereas Frozen just made box office.

Plus I rather see a co-ed in a mermaid suit than some dude running around in a Olaf costume :)

I agree 100 percent. What is interesting is that all the other animated characters seem to have been lost and forgotten at the world. However, Ariel got her own ride at MK (granted its tragic).

BrerJon

I agree 100 percent. What is interesting is that all the other animated characters seem to have been lost and forgotten at the world. However, Ariel got her own ride at MK (granted its tragic).

Do you mean the other characters from the 90s golden age of animation?

Arial has a ride and a show at DHS, Aladdin has spinners in Adventureland, Beauty and the Beast has a stage show at DHS, an upscale meet-and-greet and a restaurant, and the Lion King has a movie in Epcot and a stage show in DAK, so I think the other characters are pretty well represented.

disney4life2008

Do you mean the other characters from the 90s golden age of animation?

Arial has a ride and a show at DHS, Aladdin has spinners in Adventureland, Beauty and the Beast has a stage show at DHS, an upscale meet-and-greet and a restaurant, and the Lion King has a movie in Epcot and a stage show in DAK, so I think the other characters are pretty well represented.

All true but in terms of the present promotion its all about Frozen but your points are absolutely correct.

Seabasealpha1

So,

Totally off of the beaten path of where this has been headed...but Imma gonna throw out my $.02...

I guess I don't see them killing the great movie ride with the park in its current form...if they really do overhaul the whole park they might get away with it. It just seems like despite the stupid friggin hat in the way, that there's still a major themed building that fits with the rest of the park...only a total park overhaul could allow for it .

I could see an update...and would encourage one...the "Alien" section annoys me to no end. As does the crappy "horror" section and Tarzan...

There have been many movies overlooked in my opinion...a little turning of a leaf could be good...but not a removal...

Sometimes I think they should just shut the whole friggin' park down and start over. Like, just treat it as a fourth gate rebuilding. Then they can come out guns blazing...

You know stuff has gotten bad when California Adventure seems to have it together moreso than DHS...

El Grupo

No, I'm asking a question. If Forrest Gump's cultural legacy is dismissed as nothing more than a chain of seafood restaurants, then I'd like to know what the cultural legacy of those other films is.

Just curious, from your perspective, what is Forest Gump's cultural legacy and how does it surpass that of the other films/genres that are represented in the GMR?

WDWVolFan

Geez I suggested Forrest Gump and got flamed...get a grip.

You know, just put in Top Gun...I'd love to see an F-14 or part of it with Maverick and Goose about to take off or something...HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom