Is the Great Movie Ride next?

Hula Popper

They are little known outside of the theme park industry

Oceaneering has been around since the 1960's and is primarily known for its subsea oil drilling technologies. It only got into the theme park attraction game in the 1990's. I think it's actually a really cool thing to have this company that was doing this high tech work for the oil industry, the Navy, etc. get drawn into the theme park/entertainment world. Neat way for the company to expand and diversify its business.

Tobe

If they redid it, I wish it would be a celebration and ride-though of Disney's Animated Classics. What a great way to incorporate some lesser seen classics in the parks- 101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood, Fox and the Hound, Jungle Book, etc. It could also be a way to give Oswald some love, too. They could discuss Toy Story and computer animation and how it changed the art form. They could show Princess and the Frog and the "return to hand-drawn". Then even "Tangled" and how they used computer animation but made it look like water color. It could be very educational, show some history, have some current hits, etc. I think older fans would love to see some long forgotten classics and younger fans would love to see a Rapunzel AA. This way, for the many movies that deserve rides, they get some presence in the parks. I think it would be a great fit for the park and celebrate movies too. =)

I actually like this idea but not as a replacement for the GMR. I think it would be a great replacement for the awfulness that the Disney's Magic of Animation attraction has become. There is a lot of that could be focused on here including the early blending of live action and animation (The Alice films) and how those techniques were refined and improved to the point of Disney classics like Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

El Grupo

I actually like this idea but not as a replacement for the GMR. I think it would be a great replacement for the awfulness that the Disney's Magic of Animation attraction has become. There is a lot of that could be focused on here including the early blending of live action and animation (The Alice films) and how those techniques were refined and improved to the point of Disney classics like Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

I have to agree. Seems like a perfect fit for that location and the type of ride that the park needs (no height restrictions).

Was there consideration at one point for making the Animation Courtyard look like the old Walt Disney Hyperion Studios? Seems like such a refurb. of that area, along with the inclusion of the animation ride, could be a popular with guests and TDO (costs shouldn't break the bank). I'd like to see it taken a step further - add a "Toon Town" between the Animation building and RNR with the courtyard serving as a gateway.

FutureCEO

Also, something that should be noted, the elderly or those with concerns medically have few other rides to experience at the Studios without the GMR.

Tower of Terror - no
Rock n Roller - no
Star Tours - Depends but jostling can be a problem
Toy Story - Depends but jostling can be a problem
Backlot Tour - Due to walking sections it's difficult
GMR - Yes

* I may have forgotten a few, but you get my concern.

And based on the things I have seen, most of the rides being discussed for the studios are thrill rides, ala

Monsters Inc Roller Coaster
Carsland (there are some that might be tame, but the iconic ride is thrill ride)
Star Wars (Likely fast and thrill based, though little is known of plans)

One thing that makes Disney different from other theme parks, besides it's detail and cleanliness is that they have experiences the whole family can enjoy together. Also Disney has been a major force in having rides lasting decades, only becoming more famous over time. Many of the Six Flags tear down their historic rides to bring in yet another coaster, which in x amount of years will be torn down for another. Because of this, none of their rides reach the iconic levels of Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World, etc.

My mom's neck bothered her with the not so tame rides. The bumper car rides.

But Disney needs to stop with the interactive rides/queues. They never will for the queues but hopeful Test Track will be their last ride. The interactive shows are good though.

iheartdisney91

I absoulutly love this ride, it's been a family favorite for quite some time. If anything they just need to update it with better AA's and maybe.... MAYBE trade out some of the more forgettable scenes for scenes like... Starwars? Or ET? ( not sure if that would even be an option) but there's room for more classics. While the Alien scene is neat... Starwars could easily fit in there.

Also I wouldn't cry if they 86'ed the hosts. I've encountered too many "bad" hosts to love the idea.

But my question is... Why hasn't Disney done a walk through of an "attraction graveyard" idea? Isn't that what the backlot tour was for? I'd love to see old AA's from old attractions, even old costumes from stage shows such as "Hunchback" .... Sadly I'm pretty sure Disney recycles most of their things and we wouldn't be able to see the old things we once loved. Just a thought.

TyrantBoss

I like the update Idea. Maybe remove some of the parts the scare the hell out of my kids.

This is the kind of response that cost us Alien Encounters in Magic Kingdom and left us with the crappy Stitches Great Escape.

Not everything has to be watered down so not one kid will get scared. Every kid will get scared by something. That's just the way life goes. I would rather parents explain to kids that it is all make believe and let them toughen up a bit.

Come at me......because some of you will....I WELCOME it. But I am saying what many of you are thinking.

JordanKing

Does anyone know why the ceiling isn't completed in the ride? That is something that has always bothered me and something I wish they would fix in a refurb. I don't know if it is supposed to look like you're on a soundstage, but it kind of takes me out of the ride. I thought you were supposed to be physically IN the movie, not the set.

BernardandBianca

It's cheap as heck and looks it. It was SUPPOSED to be a cyclone scene that would lead into the Munchkinland/Oz area. Why was it changed to Fantasia...does anyone here know?

It is my understanding that the Disney license to use Oz material was limited to a certain length of time that it could be on the ride, and inclusion of the cyclone made it too long, and Disney didn't want to pay the extra royalty for a longer ride segment

pumpkin7

It is my understanding that the Disney license to use Oz material was limited to a certain length of time that it could be on the ride, and inclusion of the cyclone made it too long, and Disney didn't want to pay the extra royalty for a longer ride segment

That is the version I know of as well.

Bocabear

This is the kind of response that cost us Alien Encounters in Magic Kingdom and left us with the crappy Stitches Great Escape.

Not everything has to be watered down so not one kid will get scared. Every kid will get scared by something. That's just the way life goes. I would rather parents explain to kids that it is all make believe and let them toughen up a bit.

Come at me......because some of you will....I WELCOME it. But I am saying what many of you are thinking.
I agree... When I was a little kid and the Magic Kingdom first opened I was afraid of the Haunted Mansion...And Snow White's Scary Adventures...But even though they were scary I remember them most... Holding tight to my Mother, and ultimately learning how to conquer my fear... Today everything is so watered down kids never have that same experience.....It is through the dark that we perceive light...and scary rides become a right of passage...

lebeau

This is not exactly correct. Disney bought the rights to the movie not realizing that the rights to the cyclone effect were owned separately. They didn't want to pay the extra money to purchase those as well.

DisUniversal

This is not exactly correct. Disney bought the rights to the movie not realizing that the rights to the cyclone effect were owned separately. They didn't want to pay the extra money to purchase those as well.
How much could that have cost them??? Worst case, couldn't they have made their own tornado effect without using footage from the movie?

lebeau

How much could that have cost them??? Worst case, couldn't they have made their own tornado effect without using footage from the movie?

Don't know about the cost.

Either the tornado effect would not have resembled the one from the movie or Disney would have had a lawsuit to deal with. Easier just to put Mickey in there and be done with it.

The reason the Wizard of Oz People would not let the "tornado" carry you to the Land of Oz was that the SFX designer of the tornado, Buddy Gillespie, made MGM put a trademark and a patent on the effect, prior to the movie's 1939 debut. So, the WDW people would have had to buy the rights for use of the tornado (its image, its likeness, etc.), and Disney is not about to shell out the dough for a muslin tornado when they can just as well use something from a Disney film.

lebeau

I think the GMR could leave some oldies but then update it to include movies like Forrest Gump, and other newere classic movies...
And if keeping any of the old classics, please update the animatronics.

Forrest Gump!?!

Really? THAT's the movie you want to see included? Forrest Freaking Gump!?!

Forrest Gump's cultural legacy has been a chain of seafood restaurants and you want to enshrine it in the GMR?

DisUniversal

Forrest Gump!?!

Really? THAT's the movie you want to see included? Forrest Freaking Gump!?!

Forrest Gump's cultural legacy has been a chain of seafood restaurants and you want to enshrine it in the GMR?
Lots of memorable scenes and memorable quotes from that movie. I had previously suggested a small scene would work well in GMR as well.

Exactly what has been the cultural legacy of Tarzan? Alien? Public Enemy? The Searchers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom