Is the Great Movie Ride next?

erasure fan1

Do you mean the other characters from the 90s golden age of animation?

Arial has a ride and a show at DHS, Aladdin has spinners in Adventureland, Beauty and the Beast has a stage show at DHS, an upscale meet-and-greet and a restaurant, and the Lion King has a movie in Epcot and a stage show in DAK, so I think the other characters are pretty well represented.
It took 20+ years for the little mermaid to get an attraction and all the others in my opinion, deserve a lot more. The lion king and Aladdin both deserve a full scale ride, not a spinner and horrid movie in Epcot. Festival of the lion king is nice but its not enough. For me, those movies represent a golden age of Disney animation and have stood the test of time. Therefore 1 attraction and some shows and a restaurant are underrepresented in my eyes.

Last edited:

lebeau

Geez I suggested Forrest Gump and got flamed...get a grip.

You know, just put in Top Gun...I'd love to see an F-14 or part of it with Maverick and Goose about to take off or something...HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE!

I must have missed where you were flamed. I disagreed with you very strongly.

Nothing personal, but both Forrest Gump and especially Top Gun are terrible suggestions.

iheartdisney91

Do you mean the other characters from the 90s golden age of animation?

Arial has a ride and a show at DHS, Aladdin has spinners in Adventureland, Beauty and the Beast has a stage show at DHS, an upscale meet-and-greet and a restaurant, and the Lion King has a movie in Epcot and a stage show in DAK, so I think the other characters are pretty well represented.

Aladdin deserves more than just the magic carpets, it's just sad how that movie basically has no recognition in WDW...and Lion King does too. The movie in Epcot might has well not even exist. However the stage show is pretty great IMO. Pocahontas, Hunchback and Hercules need something though!

iheartdisney91

I for one would still love the idea of an attraction that showcases Disney's former attractions. With old AA's set up as well as old costumes from stage shows. Disney has had a lot of great things that no longer exist in the parks. I think a lot of guests would love to pay respects to their old favorites.

lebeau

Aladdin deserves more than just the magic carpets, it's just sad how that movie basically has no recognition in WDW...and Lion King does too. The movie in Epcot might has well not even exist. However the stage show is pretty great IMO. Pocahontas, Hunchback and Hercules need something though!

I agree Aladdin needs more.

The Lion King has adequate representation. A show in AK, movie in Epcot, meet and greets at AK, AoA suites...

Pocahontas, Hunchback and Hercules are the new Robin Hood, Aristocats, etc. They may as well not exist. While I wouldn't object to including them in the parks, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to include them when there are so many other more relevant movies that scream out for representation.

Mike S

I agree Aladdin needs more.

The Lion King has adequate representation. A show in AK, movie in Epcot, meet and greets at AK, AoA suites...

Pocahontas, Hunchback and Hercules are the new Robin Hood, Aristocats, etc. They may as well not exist. While I wouldn't object to including them in the parks, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to include them when there are so many other more relevant movies that scream out for representation.
Lion King doesn't have adequate representation until it has an amazing E Ticket ride in Animal Kingdom. Yes, this is my own incredibly biased opinion of my favorite Disney movie being in the parks :happy:

Call me strange, but I would absolutely loathe to see TGMR taken over by Disney Animated Films.

We see familiar Disney IPs all over the property, and most of them already have rides or attractions of their own.

I think they should stick to the classic movie theme, but they should update a few of the scenes with more relevant material, as well as giving the CMs more script freedom.

- B.

erasure fan1

It is a good show, still not a ride though ;)
Exactly! Until frozen came along, the lion king was the last Disney movie that people went absolutely crazy for. It was HUGE! So for me (being my favorite as well) not having a major attraction for the movie is a big travesty. Almost as big a travesty as the frozen/maelstrom makeover. ;)

El Grupo

Lots of memorable scenes and memorable quotes from that movie. I had previously suggested a small scene would work well in GMR as well.

Exactly what has been the cultural legacy of Tarzan? Alien? Public Enemy? The Searchers?

If memorable scenes and quotes are reasons for inclusion in the GMR (and I agree, that these are a valid starting point), why not MASH, American Graffiti, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Caddyshack? The first two are in AFI's Top 100, while the first three are part of the National Film Registry. I believe most would agree that the fourth is one of the most quoted movies over the last 30+ years.

Then there is Citizen Kane, The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Gone With the Wind, The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, Star Wars (better suited for a land in DHS though), Lawrence of Arabia, Saving Private Ryan, most of the Hitchcock films, etc.

Point is, there are many movies one could argue belong in this attraction. But, I think the issue is how does Disney, within the challenging confines of licensing, best represent various genres. I agree improvements can be made (updating some scenes, animatronics and, potentially, replacing some movies). But, a major departure from the existing format would be, IMO, a mistake on Disney's part.

By the way, many of the films now included are part of AFI's Top 100, the National Film Registry or both. Any changes should probably stick to that rule.

Exactly! Until frozen came along, the lion king was the last Disney movie that people went absolutely crazy for. It was HUGE! So for me (being my favorite as well) not having a major attraction for the movie is a big travesty. Almost as big a travesty as the frozen/maelstrom makeover. ;)
FOLK wasn't the first Lion King themed attraction. Everyone else seems to forget about The Legend of the Lion which was added due to Lion King Mania.
lion1.jpg

Actually, when you think about it, The Lion King and Frozen has a lot of similarities, both story-wise and with Disney's determination to milk every cent out of it.

Last edited:

Mike S

FOLK wasn't the first Lion King themed attraction. Everyone else seems to forget about The Legend of the Lion which was added due to Lion King Mania.
lion1.jpg

Actually, when you think about it, The Lion King and Frozen has a lot of similarities, both story-wise and Disney's determination to milk every cent out of it.
I remember that show :)

Plus here's a good video that shows pretty good similarities between Frozen and Lion King. Pretty interesting.

lebeau

Lion King doesn't have adequate representation until it has an amazing E Ticket ride in Animal Kingdom. Yes, this is my own incredibly biased opinion of my favorite Disney movie being in the parks :happy:

I could do with less LK but that comes from my own personal bias that it is the most over-rated Disney movie of all time. Perhaps if I saw it as a kid, I would feel differently. But seeing it as an adult I rolled my eyes at Kiddie Hamlet. I like it. I will concede its place among Disney classics. But I never understood its popularity.

Unfortunately, relatively few movies actually get rides. But having one of the best shows on property makes it one of the best-represented movies in the Disney library. Add in family suites a movie and meets and I'd say it's doing incredibly well.

Mike S

I could do with less LK but that comes from my own personal bias that it is the most over-rated Disney movie of all time. Perhaps if I saw it as a kid, I would feel differently. But seeing it as an adult I rolled my eyes at Kiddie Hamlet. I like it. I will concede its place among Disney classics. But I never understood its popularity.

Unfortunately, relatively few movies actually get rides. But having one of the best shows on property makes it one of the best-represented movies in the Disney library. Add in family suites a movie and meets and I'd say it's doing incredibly well.
Ow, my childhood............. :(

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom