Is the Great Movie Ride next?

El Grupo

I would argue the main issue with the ride isn't really the movies represented within it. They have plenty to work with as is including The Wizard of Oz. There is just a general sense of "staleness" to the entire experience that I think could be fixed pretty easily by replacing the lackluster show scenes with some impressive new ones and by dumping the cheesy tour guide plot.

In part, I agree with you. My post regarding other movies was primarily a response to the implication that several should be changed (with specific examples of movies that were supposedly better than those represented).

As I mentioned, show scenes and animatronics could stand being updated. But, I also could see the benefit of a couple of movies being replaced during the process to add some new life to the overall attraction.

And, as I'm not the biggest fan of the tour guide script, I personally would like to see it replaced with a celebrity narrator as others have proposed.

SJN1279

In part, I agree with you. My post regarding other movies was primarily a response to the implication that several should be changed (with specific examples of movies that were supposedly better than those represented).

As I mentioned, show scenes and animatronics could stand being updated. But, I also could see the benefit of a couple of movies being replaced during the process to add some new life to the overall attraction.

And, as I'm not the biggest fan of the tour guide script, I personally would like to see it replaced with a celebrity narrator as others have proposed.

Disney Movie Ride:

Updated Indiana Jones
Updated Mary Poppins
Empire Strikes Back
Pirates
Pixar
Section for Disney Heroes
Section for Disney Princesses
Finale Section for Disney Villains where Mickey saves the day

Done

champdisney

What the Great Movie Ride needs is a complete overhaul, everything needs to be refreshnend for a newer generation. I think the only problem with this is, is the fact that DHS has so little attractions that Disney cannot afford to work on it yet. That would leave one less attraction in a park that has very few. Perhaps when Lucasland arrives, they'll begin work.

I'd also like to see WDI come up with a proper park icon. I understand that the Hat sits in it's place because of legal problems with the actual Chinese Theater. I myself love Disney's replica of the Chinese Theater at DHS but... If that's what's causing the Hat to remain there, I say bulldoze the thing down, create a gigantic and prestigious theater that Disney can call their own, and BAM! The hat goes and a new theater takes it's rightful place as park icon.

lebeau

I've said this before too.

Disney definitely has enough material to make this a "Disney movie ride" rather than a bunch of films they have no part of from other companies. I know I'm in the minority on that idea, but it would just make a lot more sense for Disney to use their own movies. If it were just to be some live actions films..

Upgrade Mary Poppins and Indiana Jones..

Add scenes (tiny, or major scenes) from...

Old Yeller
Maleficent
Oz the Great & Powerful
Alice in Wonderland
National Treasure
Newsies
The Incredible Journey
Pirates of the Caribbean
Holes
Secretariat
Tron Legacy
Narnia

and if they were to include a bunch of cartoons even, with ones that don't have an attraction anywhere else..

Tangled, Lady and the Tramp, Up, Sleeping Beauty, Mulan, Robin Hood, Wall-E, Bambi, Ratatouille, 101 Dalmations, The Jungle Book, Tarzan, Hercules, The Nightmare before Christmas, Frankenweenie, The AristoCats, Pinocchio, Wreck-it Ralph, The Sword in the Stone, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Brave, The Rescuers, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Princess & the Frog, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Brother Bear..

Honestly, that's what I would do. And it would be awesome cx

They could do it. But one of my favorite things about MGM was that it had non-Disney properties. Gave the park some credibility. An all-Disney movie park is just another Disney park.

El Grupo

Disney Movie Ride:

Updated Indiana Jones
Updated Mary Poppins
Empire Strikes Back
Pirates
Pixar
Section for Disney Heroes
Section for Disney Princesses
Finale Section for Disney Villains where Mickey saves the day

Done

Why stop there. Don't forget all the other Disney/Bruckheimer films (e.g., Armageddon, The Rock, Pearl Harbor, etc.). Along with the Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures films, I believe Disney retains some rights to many of the Mirimax and Dimensions productions to choose from as well.

https://d23.com/walt-disney-archives/list-of-disney-films/

ryan1

Why does the ride have to have more Disney characters!?

It is called the Great Movie Ride not the Great Disney Movie Ride. There are so many other places for Disney to let their HUGE collection of characters and movies shine.

Mary Poppins and Fantasia aren't even that great. There I said it.

Busby Berkley was an icon of early movie musicals.
Singin In the rain is considered the greatest musical ever.
John Wayne and Eastwood defined the Western genre
The gangster and horror areas represent a HUGE part of the movie industry in the 30's-40's
Casablanca is considered one of the best movies made
Alien is the second, or third, most influential sci-fi movie (behind star wars and Metropolis)
Wizard of Oz, even though I am not a fan, is iconic
Indy is one of the best adventure/action movies ever made (it also helps that he has stunt show, synergy!)
Tarzan....eh.

If its updated in the future all that NEEDS to be done is update the AAs, HD movies, and switch out the Tarzan and maybe Fantasia scenes. If everything else is kept that is fine with me.

lebeau

I don't think so. If you google it, the Maelstrom to Frozen rumor was credited to Jim Hill back on January 2, 2014. Did anyone mention the rumor beforehand?

I'm not motivated enough to look. But my recollection is that it came up here first. Maybe someone else will pinpoint the origin.

Marc Gil

Why does the ride have to have more Disney characters!?

It is called the Great Movie Ride not the Great Disney Movie Ride. There are so many other places for Disney to let their HUGE collection of characters and movies shine.

Mary Poppins and Fantasia aren't even that great. There I said it.

Busby Berkley was an icon of early movie musicals.
Singin In the rain is considered the greatest musical ever.
John Wayne and Eastwood defined the Western genre
The gangster and horror areas represent a HUGE part of the movie industry in the 30's-40's
Casablanca is considered one of the best movies made
Alien is the second, or third, most influential sci-fi movie (behind star wars and Metropolis)
Wizard of Oz, even though I am not a fan, is iconic
Indy is one of the best adventure/action movies ever made (it also helps that he has stunt show, synergy!)
Tarzan....eh.
This right here. GMR is fine the way it is. Just do some dusting, AA repairs, add new effects, and add more clips to the montage and you're good.

AndyMagic

They could do it. But one of my favorite things about MGM was that it had non-Disney properties. Gave the park some credibility. An all-Disney movie park is just another Disney park.

I couldn't agree more. The park should celebrate movie-making in general but if the Iger era has proven anything it's that there is no interest in retaining the original park identities. In the words of the great Spaceship Earth narration before it was ruined, "East, west, north, and south - all roads led to... Fantasyland."

Phineas

Something that's always confused me is why is Mickey given such a lackluster scene? The very reason the park is able to exist, and they give him a movie screen framed by a rock wall. Surely this could easily be fixed with an inevitable refurb.

Greenlawler

I think it needs a major re-vamp like almost bulldozer worthy. To me and this is my opinion like it or not, there are things that are "classic WDW" and should not be touched, the GMR is NOT one of those things. It should be a people eater and a great break, but again just my opinion it IS outdated.

DisUniversal

Something that's always confused me is why is Mickey given such a lackluster scene? The very reason the park is able to exist, and they give him a movie screen framed by a rock wall. Surely this could easily be fixed with an inevitable refurb.
That "room" was supposed to be the twister that carries you to Oz, but supposedly Disney found out the use of the tornado would have cost them extra, therefore they hastily slapped together the Mickey scene. Originally you would have likely seen the stuff flying by that Dorothy saw looking out the window when the house was flying.

Phineas

That "room" was supposed to be the twister that carries you to Oz, but supposedly Disney found out the use of the tornado would have cost them extra, therefore they hastily slapped together the Mickey scene. Originally you would have likely seen the stuff flying by that Dorothy saw looking out the window when the house was flying.
Wow, I learned something today. Thanks!

champdisney

Probably ought to start with that musty old MK. It's full of ancient attractions that "newer generations" could never appreciate. We should probably just put the whole thing on a tablet. The newer generations love those things.
I'm guessing your talking about COP? Anyways I believe MK is just fine, attractions get refurbished and families love it. GMR on the other hand is generally a ghost town and so is the rest of DHS.

No offensive, but I really don't understand your mockery of changing things for future purposes as that's what's important in keeping guests returning. I'm with you regarding technology usage at the parks, though it has already gotten so out of hand that there's really no turning back now. As I was told, you could either get with the times or get left behind.

DisUniversal

I'm guessing your talking about COP? Anyways I believe MK is just fine, attractions get refurbished and families love it. GMR on the other hand is generally a ghost town and so is the rest of DHS.
There is no valid comparison to be made to CoP...

CoP was updated five times in it's first 25 years of operation. GMR was updated ZERO times.

CoP is largely rooted in the past, however it takes it's time telling its story and gives enough information that one can walk away actually having learned something just from the attraction experience itself. With GMR, you get a 3 second glimpse and perhaps a quote from an outdated animatronic, from which you learn nothing. If you take notes though, you can go Google some of the things you saw on your tablet. ;)

CoP is one of many attractions in MK and is a take it or leave it type attraction. GMR is pretty much the main anchor attraction for DHS and has been neglected and allowed to become very outdated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom