Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Peter Quill having visited EPCOT Center was not a joke. There’s nothing foolish about acknowledging how the attractions are being handled.
It sounded like a joke to me. Again, it may not be, but you actually have as much of an idea of the story treatment of this ride as a bus driver does (no offense to Disney bus drivers) - as do I.

jt04

Second runner up is Liberty Inn...But, I'm sure they will make something for the counter service cravers such like myself...

The EU always felt like a bad 90s mall food court to me. In addition is a favorite of AP homesteaders.

Everything Future World shouldn't be.

Nothing innovative or imaginitive. At all.

The Empress Lilly

On top of that the original Epcot Center that we all love so much heavily promoted Captain EO by George Lucas and Michael Jackson. How is Guardians of the Galaxy any different aside from the amount of real estate it’s using?
EO wasn't original EPCOT Center. EO was brought in later by Eisner. He didn't understand EPCOT and tried to pimp the place up with Michael Jackson, a circus and Barbie. When that failed he destroyed EPCOT outright from 1994, through mass destruction.

A pattern that continues to this day. Failure by management to understand EPCOT, which leads to their adding layer upon layer of clutter - physical, thematical, festival. Which only ever makes the park worse, which then leads to wholesale destruction and replacement. They're still at it, but this time it looks like the death knell.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

Captain Neo

Additionally, Captain EO was featured in the pavilion dedicated to Imagination, where it was an example of both futuristic vision and futuristic technology that was built around imaginary characters and settings. Guardians does not share that important distinguishing context, as people seem to forget.

It was framed as a highly-produced fiction you were about to watch, not as a reality you were going to experience the way Guardians is framed.

This is quite a stretch to be certain

Eisner wanted to push Lucas/Jackson into the parks as quickly as possible and once the attraction debuted at Disneyland and was a hit Eisner & company immediately wanted to clone it for the other parks. At the time many of the imagineers were still part of the old school original WDI that was about theme and consistency so they found a best fit as best they could. Had it been a decade later though and it could have been located somewhere else where the theme may not have made as much sense.

yensidtlaw1969

This is quite a stretch to be certain

Eisner wanted to push Lucas/Jackson into the parks as quickly as possible and once the attraction debuted at Disneyland and was a hit Eisner & company immediately wanted to clone it for the other parks. At the time many of the imagineers were still part of the old school original WDI that was **** about theme and consistency so they found a best fit as best they could. Had it been a decade later though and it could have been located somewhere else where the theme may not have made as much sense.

Except it really isn't a stretch -- the preshow video did a very good job setting up the attraction that way.

Sure Eisner wanted to push the thing into the parks, but they did the work and found the place where it fit. That's the way to do it - that's what makes it a Theme Park. You could say what you said for anything: "Yeah, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train makes sense thematically where they put it, but knowing this new school WDI it could have been located somewhere else where the theme may not have made as much sense". It doesn't matter that they could have put it somewhere it didn't fit, they DID put it somewhere that it does. Like they should have with Guardians.

I'm not saying that I wish they'd put a 3D Guardians movie into the Magic Eye Theatre, but if they did I'd be less miffed about it. At least then the comparisons to Captain EO of a rag-tag band of Galactic Warriors with a funky, thumping soundtrack would have been fit under the same umbrella of the Imagination pavilion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Except it really isn't a stretch -- the preshow video did a very good job setting up the attraction that way.

Sure Eisner wanted to push the thing into the parks, but they did the work and found the place where it fit. That's the way to do it - that's what makes it a Theme Park. You could say what you said for anything: "Yeah, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train makes sense thematically where they put it, but knowing this new school WDI it could have been located somewhere else where the theme may not have made as much sense". It doesn't matter that they could have put it somewhere it didn't fit, they DID put it somewhere that it does. Like they should have with Guardians.

I'm not saying that I wish they'd put a 3D Guardians movie into the Magic Eye Theatre, but if they did I'd be less miffed about it. At least then the comparisons to Captain EO of a rag-tag band of Galactic Warriors with a funky, thumping soundtrack would have been fit under the same umbrella of the Imagination pavilion.

Oh pleeeeease.....

😀

Rich Brownn

Oh pleeeeease.....

😀

I always thought the theater was the EPCOT thing. I know its commonplace now, but 3D (Using two 70mm projectors) was rare, and this being a specially designed theater showcasing the 'movie theater of tomorrow' (which, in some ways, it came to pass). In other words, the movies were showcasing the technology of the theater not the movie itself.

deWild

I’m very confused as to the overall theme of this reimagined EPCOT. So the plan is to remove Innoventions West, the Starbucks (the basics are losing ), and the Coke store in favor of a bunch of trees and green space? I don’t understand how this will be cohesive with the “prototype center of tomorrow” idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timothy_Q

I’m very confused as to the overall theme of this reimagined EPCOT. So the plan is to remove Innoventions West, the Starbucks (the basics are losing their sh*t), and the Coke store in favor of a bunch of trees and green space? I don’t understand how this will be cohesive with the “prototype center of tomorrow” idea.
The C stands for "Community" not "Center", and that was the city, not the park

(But also, if you're expecting cohesion out of Epcot, lol)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom