Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

note2001

The new planter is absolutely gorgeous.

My only nitpick is the stars - they look a little cartoony and remind me of the hat's aesthetic.

I think that's why they did it. A lot of locals hated the idea of the hat coming down, and it's their small way to calm the masses.
I would have preferred a couple of fountains.

MGMBoy

Walls are down. Shrubs are up. Some new palms, too.

CD7AMz5UEAEs3vr.jpg:large

Hello-Gorgeous.jpg

Hello, Gorgeous! :)

raymusiccity

Same stars as before?

Looks like things are getting back to the new normal.

In addition to the spires, does anyone know when some celebrity has stopped by to be 'immortalized' in cement?

"In front of the real theater are about 200 handprints in cement in the theater courtyard. These cement blocks celebrate famous celebrities who have been to the theater for movie premiers. At Disney's Hollywood Studios, they have been used to celebrate the movie and television stars that visited the park. In the early days of the Studios, celebrities would be scheduled to visit the park often and as part of their visit, they would immortalize themselves in cement with hand and footprints."

MGMBoy

Looks like things are getting back to the new normal.

In addition to the spires, does anyone know when some celebrity has stopped by to be 'immortalized' in cement?

"In front of the real theater are about 200 handprints in cement in the theater courtyard. These cement blocks celebrate famous celebrities who have been to the theater for movie premiers. At Disney's Hollywood Studios, they have been used to celebrate the movie and television stars that visited the park. In the early days of the Studios, celebrities would be scheduled to visit the park often and as part of their visit, they would immortalize themselves in cement with hand and footprints."

In all honesty, I don't really mind the stars that much. They remind me of the film at the end of GMR and, the way they are placed, makes it seem like they are springing out of the planters like a fountain. Just missing the spires and I'll be happy. I think they need to rotate out some of the older footprints for newer ones. Maybe pull up the old cement blocks and put them along the walls of the Backlot Express or (better yet) drop them on the sides of the entrance area between Bag Check and Ticketing so that people can still see them but they can put newer, more relevant people in front of the theatre. Some of them are fairly timeless (George Lucas, and some of the characters as examples) but if you are going to make it a true draw than you need to move some of the older ones like George Burns and Bobcat Goldthwait (How the heck did he even get there in the first place? Did he break in in the middle of the night and see a "Wet Concrete" sign?) and replace them with someone like Chris Pratt or Mark Hamill (We have Goldthwait but not Luke Skywalker? Seriously?!?). Move Mr. Burns and company somewhere else so people can still see them but keep the front of the theatre fresh and relevant. It would also allow them to do those cool imprint ceremonies for marketing like they used to do.

EDIT: New thought! Use the relocated handprint/footprint tiles to pave the area in and around the ATAS Hall of Fame Busts! (Except for the likes of Bobcat Goldthwait, Jim Varney and PeeWee Herman. They can pave the men's room outside the GMR exit. :p )

Last edited:

dgp602

Walls are down. Shrubs are up. Some new palms, too.

CD7AMz5UEAEs3vr.jpg:large
WOW! Pleasantly surprised. Last photo from over the top of the wall seemed to show a lot of foundations being pour, large holes, and a whole lot of mess...Was I just dreaming of that or did they pour and clean up this quickly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom