Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

kucarachi

You really are reaching now. First it was the condition of the theatre, then taking out the "one" item representing Mickey, and now we're onto the films in the GMR? My sympathies that your delicate sensibilities are offended by the fact that movie history may have been made at studios not named Disney. As Conrad once scribed, "The horror. The horror."

It was not the condition of the GMR itself. I was talking about the actual Chinese theater in Hollywood, CA. I am aware there are no bathroom on the ride...they partnered with MGM because they couldn't compete with universals live action at the time. Those times have changed

Bing Bong

I'm all for change, but if your ok with hat being demolished for being out of place...then why are you ok with what was hidden behind the hat housing movies mostly owned now by Sony being left in tact. It all needs reimagined this one piece of headwear was not what's wrong with Hollywood blvd
fef.gif

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It was not the condition of the GMR itself. I was talking about the actual Chinese theater in Hollywood, CA. I am aware there are no bathroom on the ride...they partnered with MGM because they couldn't compete with universals live action at the time. Those times have changed
Well, you're welcome to petition for something going in front of that building then....

And yes times have changed. The hat is being removed, TCM has now partnered with TWDC to update the GMR, and Mickey can still be found throughout the park. Everyone wins....

kucarachi

Well, you're welcome to petition for something going in front of that building then....

And yes times have changed. The hat is being removed, TCM has now partnered with TWDC to update the GMR, and Mickey can still be found throughout the park. Everyone wins....

I don't think anything new should go where the hat was. The hat would have been better suited to walk underneath on the path to fantasmic anyway

flynnibus

Premium Member
Someone in TDO must really just HATE that theater. They'll use anything instead of it as the icon.

Looks like just pure "take the shortest path" to me. Doing something with the theater in that photo would require more extensive editing... just easier to plop the ToT in overtop of where the hat was and fix one part of the image and not two. Sometimes it's just human nature.. not nefarious motivations :)

Or... we can just accept that ToT has been more popular than the theater ever was and while in park design it's not the same big-dog... in relevance to visitors it could be. Dunno...

erwinalber4

I think HTH can definitely work. I'd rather it be the Earful Tower and I'm sure in time after expansion it will be. But the HTH is very recognizable to guests everywhere. Just like the Earful Tower, it can be seen from World Drive as you enter but also has a great in park presence. The fact that it's a ride doesn't mean much considering that SSE is also a ride and works for Epcot's icon. And the structure itself is unique to DHS despite the attraction being cloned in other parks. With that said, I'm all for the Earful Tower but I can see them using HTH as well.

lazyboy97o

I do understand the purist that like things a certain way, and having a perfect view of the Chinese theater being the perfect photo op on Hollywood blvd. But I worked at Disney's El Capitan and that is s truly magestic Hollywood theater. The Chinese was dirty, carpet stained, And bathrooms looked like a murder scene. If you truly want a Hollywood icon that is beautiful inside and out they should build the el Capitan and put in a Oscar type audience participation show...instead of oscars they can hand out little sorcerers hats
The El Capitan is a marquee attached to an office building.

I don't care where the hat goes,it just happened to be in front of the theatre. If the one thing that actually represents Mickey Mouse bothered you so much I'm happy that your happy.
Hollywood Blvd isn't about Mickey Mouse.

I'm all for change, but if your ok with hat being demolished for being out of place...then why are you ok with what was hidden behind the hat housing movies mostly owned now by Sony being left in tact. It all needs reimagined this one piece of headwear was not what's wrong with Hollywood blvd
The Great Movie Ride and the park were not supposed to be just about Disney.

I don't think anything new should go where the hat was. The hat would have been better suited to walk underneath on the path to fantasmic anyway
Where it could ruin World Showcase sight lines, but then it'd be that area's representation of Mickey Mouse.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
All 3 of my kids (11, 9, and 8) were devastated. They couldn't understand why the hat was being removed, they thought it was the dumbest idea and expressed their love for the hat. (this discussion followed their complaints that Maelstrom shouldn't be switched to Frozen, so they were already a little upset I suppose). But, for them, they've only known the park with the hat and they didn't even realize the theater was hidden behind it!

Most people only really understood amusements as they saw at carnivals and the seaside until Disney showed them Disneyland. Point being... sometimes change is for the better, even if those impacted don't understand it at the time.

Cesar R M

Well you have to realise that the layout and size of the Studios in Paris is very different that the Hollywood Studios in Florida. The tower stands near the entrance, next to studio 1 which is the "main street" of that park. In the middle of the park you have the partners statue. So although it is not in the middle of the park, it is very visible, especially from the entrance and the middle of the park. It stands more as an icon that the one in Florida even though it is not in the middle. But then again an icon does not need to be in the middle of the park (SSE at Epcot).
You can see below a picture of the entrance of the Studios in Paris with the tower towards the left side of Studio 1.

I also wonder.. how tall is the DHS one?
The paris one seems more visible in every way...

Cesar R M

The steel skeleton of the hand really looks like it's giving the finger lol.
The last sign of defiance before it goes down.
I can now imagine Michael Bay or Tarantino directing an action movie. "The Hat Goes down with a Bang".
The hat giving the finger on the last moments before its demise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom