Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

FlaMel

Forgive me if I'm not following you but, are you saying that stages can't stay in one place forever? Then how does WDW get around with the castle stage, america gardens, and theatre of the stars?
The stages you mentioned (the Castle stage, America Gardens, and Theater of the Stars?) are permanent installations. Their plans were submitted and reviewed and the construction was permitted as such. The stage that goes in at the DHS plaza is an event stage, temporary in nature and therefore subject to different codes and lengths of duration (hence temporary).

FlaMel

Please remember that the Reedy Creek organization is just a misleading name for Disney. They give themselves a permit to do whatever they want too.
This is a common misconception. RCID is not just a puppet arm of the TWDC. They are connected by the fact that RCID's entire tax base is TWDC, but believe me when I tell you that RCID acts like any other municipality when it comes to reviewing of plans, permitting, inspections, etc.

Goofyernmost

Codes must still be followed otherwise Disney would risk the state dissolving the Improvement District.
True, but, there is nothing about a stage in DHS that would even catch a small degree of concern from the state. It's not an environmental consideration, so I doubt that Florida would spend money following up on a stage in the center of the park. In that sense, what Disney wants, Disney gets.

Goofyernmost

This is a common misconception. RCID is not just a puppet arm of the TWDC. They are connected by the fact that RCID's entire tax base is TWDC, but believe me when I tell you that RCID acts like any other municipality when it comes to reviewing of plans, permitting, inspections, etc.
I sincerely doubt that they are going to strong arm Disney in something like this. They may be representing the tax base, which as you say, is TWDC, elected by them and basically controlled by the legal arm of the company. Let's look at reality here not what they put on paper to satisfy the political desires of the State of Florida. Environmental concerns (i.e. Wet Lands, Flood plains, etc.) yes, they are going to follow the letter of the laws. Not this however. I also have to disagree that RCID in not just a puppet arm. It certainly is, but, Disney is wise enough to not blatantly bypass the more sensitive laws of the state.

FlaMel

True, but, there is nothing about a stage in DHS that would even catch a small degree of concern from the state. It's not an environmental consideration, so I doubt that Florida would spend money following up on a stage in the center of the park. In that sense, what Disney wants, Disney gets.
These are not state codes they are the EPCOT building codes, set by the RCID.

Goofyernmost

These are not state codes they are the EPCOT building codes, set by the RCID.
Time for a piece of reality. RCID is DISNEY! They will change whatever code they feel like changing if it suits their plans. They won't vary far away from the original intent, but, they will do it if it is needed.

JoeCamel

The revenue that Disney beings to Florida carries special consideration in the halls of Tally. They are aware the WDW INC built Florida not real estate or citrus. 30 million visitors a year cannot be denied.

Kman101

Closing TSMM early wouldn't be a problem if the park didn't close as soon as they could at 9 or 10pm and if the park had a lot more to do.

Anyone think they'd like to get rid of Fantasmic and just do fireworks again instead once the park is more fleshed out and there's more to do?

lazyboy97o

And yet Disney continues to continually take down and rebuild the stage. The folks who work code compliance for the Reedy Creek Improvement District are not hired for life and if they would like to have a career they are going to enforce the code. Disney also cannot just modify the codes as freely as you describe. State planners and inspectors may not be looking closely, but competitors who have long been denied Disney's ease of building would surely be aware of such changes and raise the issue with the right people. There are common conventions and Disney flouting them would be easy headlines about Disney ignoring public safety.

Last edited:

Sage of Time

They closed off the back section of the park before the show every night... including the whole Pixar Place alley (which yes, means they closed TSMM early every night of the fireworks).
If they could close TSMM for that, they could do it nightly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Especially if the park was expanded in a thoughtful way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom