Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

ABQ

As seen from the front.

OOpps, edit, as @RayTheFirefly just posted, courtesy Debbie

11015561_1586192531640743_990834938_n.jpg

novawildcat18

I wonder how long until the construction walls are gone. I can't imagine once the hat is completely dismantled that they'd take down the walls, they'll need to put either some new concrete or some sort of flower bed.

Monorail_Red_77

If the lights are still there, then they might not.

Hopefully, not. hopefully they can just turn them on or replace the bulbs, etc. Would be nice if it is quick easy fix. But it all depends. I have a friend that does work around Disney Parks and Cruise Ships. Tech and lighting type work. When he was working on Haunted Mansion doing some lighting work. He mentioned that he had to do a special build to match the original lighting fixtures, etc. He said that it was more expensive but quicker in a sense. This is because if they were to update to newer technology lighting and fixtures that they would have to submit work to imagineers and it would have to be tested and evaluated, etc. Basically a big headache for all involved. So while it was more work for him, the overall project could be done quicker. He has done various work with the new castle lighting a few years back up until recently as well as some cruise ship work when they were being refurbed in Spain last year, I believe. Kinda cool. They actually paid for him to go from Florida to Spain for about 2 weeks.
He also said that hopefully he will be involved with getting the spark effect working on ToT again. He said that when it was first designed it was basically along the lines of a grinder wheel grinding a piece of metal to throw out the sparks. This was obviously a big safety issue due to the falling metal filings, etc. Not sure if that is why it was turned off or it just broke, but who knows. Would be nice if they let him figure that one out and get something cool up there again on the Tower.

Last edited:

note2001

I have a feeling that most of these people are like "What's that building thingie that took the place of our beloved hat?"
I think they're concentrating more on getting to Toy Story Mania and not ramming into the person in front of them. That's a lot of folk for the end of February!

jlthomas81

Not exactly. I'm too lazy to post this all over again, but see post #7136.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-the-studios-yes.435696/page-357#post-6557070
There are more than enough examples of TDO clearly using the Chinese Theater as the icon to represent the park. Yes, the Earful Tower eventually took over this role, but in most early commercials & literature it was the Theater. My hope is that we return to these glorious days.

Edit: And for us Theater loyalists, is it just me, or does that car commercial at the bottom of that post give you goose bumps when you see the zoom-out of the Theater with fireworks overhead. :inlove:

Since you had to repost your post, I should add that the Chevy Lumina was my first car...Cherry Red. Never knew before now of it's Disney link :)

El Grupo

I wonder how long until the construction walls are gone. I can't imagine once the hat is completely dismantled that they'd take down the walls, they'll need to put either some new concrete or some sort of flower bed.

A permit was filed on 1/29 for enhancements to that area. With Star Wars Weekends beginning in less than 3 months, I wonder if this will be a transitional fix with a temporary stage or if all will be completed by then. Either way, I suspect the walls will be up for a few more weeks.

Also, it will be interesting to see how quickly they get the spires replaced. I would think these could be done in a week. However, that's from an armchair engineer's perspective.

Cesar R M

A permit was filed on 1/29 for enhancements to that area. With Star Wars Weekends beginning in less than 3 months, I wonder if this will be a transitional fix with a temporary stage or if all will be completed by then. Either way, I suspect the walls will be up for a few more weeks.

Also, it will be interesting to see how quickly they get the spires replaced. I would think these could be done in a week. However, that's from an armchair engineer's perspective.
my bet is a temporary stage until after star wars weekends.
they probably will use it to block the "skeleton" base of the hat until they can remove it completely.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Still no sign of spires though, despite that permit. I really hope this is just because it's going to be the same crew.

They waited over a decade to take down the hat because they didn't have the money, I really hope it's not going to take another decade for them to get the funds for the spires, then all the kids can moan they're ruining their beloved shoebox by adding spires to it.

Spires are being done by a different contractor. It's possible that the hat work is in the way of doing the spire work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom