Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

dgp602

Where's the photo update? Gimme updatez!!
I can't wait for the hat to be down completely, not only for the obvious reasons, but more so for the fact that my productivity at work between the hours of 8am-9:15am everyday have gone down 80% as a result of my constant checking for the daily destruction photo!!!!

BTW, where is that photo?? I can only hide from my boss for so long! LOL :angelic::happy:

Doesn't look like much has changed:

Jwk0uh1.jpg

Seabasealpha1

I'm not so patient...though this is completely wrong and un-safe, I'd set charges at the base of what's left and let 'em off and have it fall to one side onto a mega-flatbed like they used to haul the Illuminations globe. Then I'd have it hauled out and cut up elsewhere.

Then I'd sink the S.O.B. to the bottom of Bay lake...creating a beautimus artificial reef...

(Bay lake is freshwater...scratch the reef part...)

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

What gets me is that if you look at the huge steel circle in the construction photos, it was supported by three posts which always seemed oddly thin for what it was holding up.

I'm no structural engineer and obviously it was all safe and fine and survived storms and hurricanes and it only had to hold up a facade, not an office building or anything, but it always looked to me like it really needed larger legs for the steel circle / eventual hat.

Goofyernmost

I plan on being there next Tuesday Morning. I still want some stuff left to see. I don't think that will be a problem, but, I was able to catch it as they were building it. Tolerated the thing for around 14 years and I just think it would be wonderful to see part of it's destruction as well. Actually it is now getting to the interesting part. I should be able to see some of it. I have scheduled myself to be at Epcot on Wednesday but my first FP doesn't open until a little after 10:00 so I may go there via DHS. BTW... I'm sorry if I offend any of the MM+ haters out there, but, personally I love having all my FP's set up and even one dining experience (I only scheduled that to see how it worked), but apparently they were right. I did spend more money then usual at WDW because of their magical little system. Who knew?

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Then I'd sink the S.O.B. to the bottom of Bay lake...creating a beautimus artificial reef...

(Bay lake is freshwater...scratch the reef part...)

Great Idea. My first thought when reading this is put it in the Living Seas tank but I guess it would not fit. But if it DID fit in the Living Seas tank, it would be so big that it would block a lot of the view.

Goofyernmost

What gets me is that if you look at the huge steel circle in the construction photos, it was supported by three posts which always seemed oddly thin for what it was holding up.

I'm no structural engineer and obviously it was all safe and fine and survived storms and hurricanes and it only had to hold up a facade, not an office building or anything, but it always looked to me like it really needed larger legs for the steel circle / eventual hat.
It is also supported by the structure that had the hand facade. I also think that you will find that the ring is hallow and not a solid piece of steel. It isn't really that heavy compared to other structures that size. 99% of it was just fiberglass, there for show. all the real weight was very close to the ground level and those supports seem to me to be actually more then what was necessary.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It is pretty cool engineering. Imagine the engineer that first got the concept drawing and said "you want to build WHAT??" :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom