Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

JohnD

Since the BAH is gone, isn't it time to retire this thread after 309 pages?

We can start another long running thread on the ending of the FP+ for lunch at BOG and if the rumored breakfast will be QS, TS, booked through an ADR, etc.... ;)

Not yet. Many of us "tune in" every morning for the latest photos of its removal. The rest of the thread is just "filler" until the next morning. And, yes, I admit I am a contributor to that.

dstrawn9889

Two things about this image.
1, the spires are missing. When did they go? No one noticed because of the big hat.
2, I LOVE how someone went to the time and effort to create the big ugly stage!! :D:rolleyes:

Oh and looking back through the time line, looks like the spires have been missing since 2006/2007 time... that's when they disappear from the images as far as I can tell.
Or shrink! They may just shrink judging by the shadows. Something is definitely showing in the shadow, but not as big as the spires that are shown in the 1990s Sorcerer in the Sky videos.

Oh ok, 'googlemaps1' is what I can see in the shadows... I'm guessing those aren't the tops of the spires.
turn off the darn 3d mod, and then hit the history button and go back to it think coverage was in 2001. in the jan 2014 image, i see the point of the retractable one, but no others... december 31, 2003 is the last that i see that i think i can make out the shadows of the spires

asianway

I love how, to this day, they still sometimes use the publicity footage of Goofy riding Big Thunder Mountain or Genie riding the Flying carpets, or Mickey walking up to a family out of nowhere on Main Street. Oh, and my favorite, Captain Hook strolling along with some elderly man.
@drew81 is this still allowed? Last time I went it was still a remote possibility on carpets, tea cups, face on carousel.

roj2323

Wow, talk about a serious hack job on those cuts last night. They must have bent their saw blade making them. Good to see this thing headed to the landfill.
I think they are actually using a circular saw now as you can see the trail of dust in one direction on the cuts but that's getting a bit too into the details probably.

WDWArchitectureGuy

Sorry for being OT
I love how, to this day, they still sometimes use the publicity footage of Goofy riding Big Thunder Mountain or Genie riding the Flying carpets, or Mickey walking up to a family out of nowhere on Main Street. Oh, and my favorite, Captain Hook strolling along with some elderly man.

Now while this is very much not the norm in Florida, it is far more likely in California. Our very first trip to DL in 2013, Labor Day Weekend (DL 1/2 Marathon weekend) about 20 minutes after park open, we're enjoying the scenery along Main Street, when out from behind a CM entrance strolls Cinderella. She is just walking about like it's no big deal. Bends over to greet a little girl, takes the girl by the hand, and strolls across the square girl in tow over near the firehouse where she poses for pictures. A small line forms but not like anything you see at MK.

A few minutes later, as if out of nowhere, the town square has characters galore. Cruella near the rear of the Train Station spitting out insults to guests, Minnie Mouse, Daisy, Pluto, and Donald are all just milling about. Posing for photos, lines literally a few people deep. They each have a CM somewhat nearby but not right up with them. Then we turn around and Mickey is standing there holding out a hand to shake. My wife and I take turns taking photos with him because he doesn't have a CM handler anywhere in sight. Then Mickey strolls on through the entrance tunnels to greet guests in front of the Train Station.

Truly a Magical time, and something we've never experienced in all our many years of travelling to Florida. Since that trip in 2013 we've been to DL twice, with a 3rd trip coming up in May of this year.

Mike S

Sorry for being OT

Now while this is very much not the norm in Florida, it is far more likely in California. Our very first trip to DL in 2013, Labor Day Weekend (DL 1/2 Marathon weekend) about 20 minutes after park open, we're enjoying the scenery along Main Street, when out from behind a CM entrance strolls Cinderella. She is just walking about like it's no big deal. Bends over to greet a little girl, takes the girl by the hand, and strolls across the square girl in tow over near the firehouse where she poses for pictures. A small line forms but not like anything you see at MK.

A few minutes later, as if out of nowhere, the town square has characters galore. Cruella near the rear of the Train Station spitting out insults to guests, Minnie Mouse, Daisy, Pluto, and Donald are all just milling about. Posing for photos, lines literally a few people deep. They each have a CM somewhat nearby but not right up with them. Then we turn around and Mickey is standing there holding out a hand to shake. My wife and I take turns taking photos with him because he doesn't have a CM handler anywhere in sight. Then Mickey strolls on through the entrance tunnels to greet guests in front of the Train Station.

Truly a Magical time, and something we've never experienced in all our many years of travelling to Florida. Since that trip in 2013 we've been to DL twice, with a 3rd trip coming up in May of this year.
Can't wait to experience this for myself.

tirian

Indeed, I agree that it is the right size for the forced perspective. However, the Chinese Theater is a copy of the original Chinese Theater in Hollywood. With Sleeping Beauty Castle you have a lot more mass and bulk of the structure in the center part of the building. The Chinese Theater at DHS looks rather anemic in comparison because they were following the style of the original in Hollywood. It works in the sense that you have all of these buildings in DHS on either side of Hollywood Blvd. and way down at the end is this tiny little Chinese Theater. Linear perspective demands that a building in the background be smaller than buildings in the middle ground or foreground.

I know how it works.

The Imagineers in the 80s also knew how it worked.

drew81

@drew81 is this still allowed? Last time I went it was still a remote possibility on carpets, tea cups, face on carousel.

Doesn't happen very often anymore. They used to ride at EMH all the time until the "issue" happened.

It can happen but usually with a captain/manager's okay.

Seabasealpha1

not to be a buzz kill...because I'm sure someone if not most everyone digs the inflatable mickey (which, yes, I know has been gone for a while...) on the roof...

It looks SO cheesy! Maybe I've become jaded to giant inflatables by the inflatable decor sold at Wal Mart during Halloween/Christmas...but...a giant inflatable mickey with a FIREWORK stuck in the finger? AND badly placed for line of sight from several angles!?

Sheesh.

There...my slight rant. Sorry if you like it. No offense meant y'all!

aeillill

You can see him at the around the 9 minute mark of @marni1971 's video here

Great video, btw, Martin.

Oh man this brings back memories, we went in the summer of '90 and I wanted so badly to see Mickey Mouse shoot fireworks out of his finger, it was the main thing 4 year old me wanted out of life, and then there was a problem when we saw the show and he didn't inflate. I was crushed.

Nemo14

not to be a buzz kill...because I'm sure someone if not most everyone digs the inflatable mickey (which, yes, I know has been gone for a while...) on the roof...

It looks SO cheesy! Maybe I've become jaded to giant inflatables by the inflatable decor sold at Wal Mart during Halloween/Christmas...but...a giant inflatable mickey with a FIREWORK stuck in the finger? AND badly placed for line of sight from several angles!?

Sheesh.

You'd really have loved Surprise in the Skies then...
mkp031399LARGE.jpg

tirian

Sheesh.

No offense taken; by today's standards, you're right.

Mouse_Trap

Just throwing out an idea, like Mr. Toad handing over the deed to Owl, 20,000 leagues sub engraved in Little Mermaid queue. I merely offered up the idea to those who had sentiment for the BAH. Probably won't happen anyway.

It's a cute idea, but they normally reserve making tributes for the departed classics. I seriously doubt there is a single Imagineer who isn't glad to see the demise of the BAH.

A fitting tribute would be to use it as hardcore for the DHS expansion, maybe to fill in a ditch or somthing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom