Is the clock ticking on the Leave a Legacy monoliths at Epcot?

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Alittle off topic but I found it funny that one of the original commenters on this thread stated that LaL is, "my #1 problem with the park..."

Of all the "issues" that Epcot has I don't think LaL ranks in many people's top 5's of what's wrong with Epcot currently.
Nope. But it might be in my top ten or maybe fifteen...

Brad Bishop

Nope. But it might be in my top ten or maybe fifteen...

My thoughts with LaL:
- it really screws up the flow of traffic in that area. You're swimming against the stones, whether you're coming or going, unless you stick to the middle or way out on the edges. It would work really well as a memorial so some war on the Mall in D.C. where you purposely want to slow down traffic but at the entrance to Epcot? It just screws up flow.
- they're ugly. They literally look like gravestones.
- the alternative would be a well flowing area with many planters, trees, and maybe even a nice fountain (more than the weird non-fountain that's there now).
- I'd say that the only reason it doesn't register higher on most people's lists with what's wrong with Epcot is that it's between the turnstiles and SSE. It's kind of forgotten once you're past SSE (until you have to navigate it to exit). If you put the same grave stones around the area between FW and WS I bet it'd be close to the #1 issue.

trainplane3

My thoughts with LaL:
- it really screws up the flow of traffic in that area. You're swimming against the stones, whether you're coming or going, unless you stick to the middle or way out on the edges. It would work really well as a memorial so some war on the Mall in D.C. where you purposely want to slow down traffic but at the entrance to Epcot? It just screws up flow.
- they're ugly. They literally look like gravestones.
- the alternative would be a well flowing area with many planters, trees, and maybe even a nice fountain (more than the weird non-fountain that's there now).
- I'd say that the only reason it doesn't register higher on most people's lists with what's wrong with Epcot is that it's between the turnstiles and SSE. It's kind of forgotten once you're past SSE (until you have to navigate it to exit). If you put the same grave stones around the area between FW and WS I bet it'd be close to the #1 issue.
I actually made a overlay on how traffic ends up flowing through the rocks a month ago:
qtwblX1.jpg

Oh and the fact they aren't even symmetrical is annoying.
When I was leaving the park last month after RoE it was the typical slow down right there. Slow is relative since I walk fast when compared to most people. I confused my friends by taking the "outside", longer path when they expected the most direct, shortest path to be the fastest.

theGib95

When I was leaving the park last month after RoE it was the typical slow down right there. Slow is relative since I walk fast when compared to most people. I confused my friends by taking the "outside", longer path when they expected the most direct, shortest path to be the fastest.

The Traffic patterns is an actual reason that can be stated on paper or a map like you did here... The emotional or personal reason which I feel can be more important, but harder to "justify" to Powers that be, is it is ugly and the park entry is done such a great disservice by having them there....

Time to go LaL

OG Runner

Don't be sorry. I'm sure most of the people here agree with you, myself included.

Do be sorry. I am pretty sure anyone that purchased a "square" would disagree with you.
We purchased a photo of my sons, when they were 11 & 6 years old in 2000. Each time we
come back for a vacation we look-up their picture again. If they are going to remove them,
I would appreciate an offer to purchase the image, instead of them just destroying them.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Do be sorry. I am pretty sure anyone that purchased a "square" would disagree with you.
We purchased a photo of my sons, when they were 11 & 6 years old in 2000. Each time we
come back for a vacation we look-up their picture again. If they are going to remove them,
I would appreciate an offer to purchase the image, instead of them just destroying them.
I actually would LOVE to purchase our picture from Leave A Legacy. It was taken while my wife and I were on our Disneymoon (Dec 2001- Jan 2002). We need to drop by in September (or whenever last I:ROE is) and see if they can update the address on file for the picture, just in case they offer them for sale.

OG Runner

I actually would LOVE to purchase our picture from Leave A Legacy. It was taken while my wife and I were on our Disneymoon (Dec 2001- Jan 2002). We need to drop by in September (or whenever last I:ROE is) and see if they can update the address on file for the picture, just in case they offer them for sale.

You can actually update your information at the photo shop, on the right hand side, just past the Leave A Legacy.

danyoung56

I am pretty sure anyone that purchased a "square" would disagree with you.

I've had my smiling face (see avatar) up there since 1999. I've always enjoyed thinking about it when I'm having a bad day or too busy at my job. It's nice to think about ME overlooking the Epcot plaza. And no matter how hard I try, I cannot make those structures look bad - I think the entrance area looks incredible!

OG Runner

I wonder, out of pure curiosity, how many family photos on there have gone through divorce in the years that these have been put up.
I think of this because there is a brick somewhere near the TTC that has my name on it. I will not ever show my kids, as the name of my college girlfriend sits next to it, and while my kids wouldn't notice, know, or care, my wife certainly would...

Well, mine was a picture of my two sons, at a young age, and they are still my sons, and I have always considered Leave a Legacy
as a nice reminder. We had their photo done in 2000. Sorry about your brick SNAFU.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is it time for a move yet? ;)

The actual images aren't going anywhere for quite a while. I don't remember the exact year they are legally allowed to remove them, but I don't think we're there yet. I personally don't mind the images, I just think the monoliths they are displayed on are poorly placed and ugly. I would be quite happy to see the images themselves permanently relocated (without the tombstones) because I'm sure there are many images that are now "memorials".

They can move the images at any time, but they must remain on display for 20 years from the date of purchase. The last one was sold in June 2007.

ppete1975

I don't think anyone minds the monoliths, its where they are placed (like frozen ever after), It just ruins the classic sight line of the entrance. I think moved to the sides of the entrance against a wall or just an out of place part of the park would still do the same thing, and still contractually allows Disney to be ok.
But I wonder..
How much did these cost originally? (more of a curiosity if I would have bought one)
If you own one, how do you feel about it being moved to another place in the park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom