Is the “Magic” Disappearing at Walt Disney world

HouCuseChickie

I try to separate the perks from the magic. There are perks that are gone that I will miss, but many of those weren't there in my early visits where the Disney bug first bit me. So, I wouldn't say that the magic is gone, but it has changed. I also think there's a bit of a "chasing the dragon" effect with it as well. I think any parks fan have had some incredible wow moments that keep you coming back, but I find that I don't have as much of an impactful wow when I try and repeat those special things. So, whenever we choose to return, I try to look to a number of new things just to keep potential for new wow moments. Of course, we also have our nostalgic loves, but at what point is that enough to keep people coming back? That answer will vary from person to person. We literally just got back shortly after midnight today...first visit since the reopening...and I don't think anyone can fairly judge things with the way it is right now. We are definitely giving it a break for some time based on our own personal vacation wants and feelings, but I'm in a wait and see sort of place on the actual magic...since we don't know what things are going to look like in a couple of years.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
I don’t know if the magic per se is leaving, but the recent moves being made are eerily similar to moves made in the later years of Eisner, with much more focus being placed on initial financial gains, as opposed to long term. Right now, removing certain experiences may seem like the right decision, but in a few years, if people start realizing staying onsite is no longer worth it, Disney is going to have a problem on their hands that may never be able to be completely fixed.

StarshipDisney

I don’t know if the magic per se is leaving, but the recent moves being made are eerily similar to moves made in the later years of Eisner, with much more focus being placed on initial financial gains, as opposed to long term. Right now, removing certain experiences may seem like the right decision, but in a few years, if people start realizing staying onsite is no longer worth it, Disney is going to have a problem on their hands that may never be able to be completely fixed.

Amen to that!

I know a lot of people (especially those who fly in) will most always stay on Disney property and pay more for little to nothing extra. They see value in simply being on property and taking Disney transportation.

But I still agree that taking away all the resort benefits will not bode well for the future. I myself have almost always paid the high cost to stay in a deluxe resort...but not now as things currently stand.

I firmly believe that "less Magic dictates a cheaper vacation." I'll pay more when more is offered! Even though I am planning (hoping) to go in September, we will likely stay off-site and I am not sure that we will get to ride a major attraction again because we always walk away from multi-hour lines. Guess we'll see what happens.

Indy_UK

my magic comes from other areas. I usually stay at the BCV's. I love the walk back from Epcot, with the music in the background and hte lights. it relaxes my soul and makes me feel peaceful. Yes, I will pay an exorbitant amount of money for a week of that. I usually get up early before my family and walk around to the Broadwalk bakery, I get coffee and cinnamon rolls and sit with the ducks, again the quiet, listening to the horns from the boat soothes my soul. We loved waking up at AKL and seeing animals from the balcony of our window. those are the intangibles that are priceless to me (my real life in a high stress job is insane) and my family.
Absolutely spot on...

this is actually what I needed someone to say.

I’m a money saver and while I’m looking high and low at how to buy a resale DVC for AKL and budget every $$$, with my families hectic lifestyle, what you have put is what I crave so much when I go to Disney and I think the high premium is probably worth it.

I think I need to just bite the bullet, get our hone resort and make it ‘home’ because it’s the little things like you’ve mentioned that you will more likely remember forever...

ELG13

my magic comes from other areas. I usually stay at the BCV's. I love the walk back from Epcot, with the music in the background and hte lights. it relaxes my soul and makes me feel peaceful. Yes, I will pay an exorbitant amount of money for a week of that. I usually get up early before my family and walk around to the Broadwalk bakery, I get coffee and cinnamon rolls and sit with the ducks, again the quiet, listening to the horns from the boat soothes my soul. We loved waking up at AKL and seeing animals from the balcony of our window. those are the intangibles that are priceless to me (my real life in a high stress job is insane) and my family.

I love the cm's at the beach club, I've never encountered these horror stories or indifferent cm's folks here have.
We are the same. Magic for us was never free parking. The magic bands were simply because it was a fun package to look forward to. Getting that in the mail meant we were that much closer! But now that we have APs we have purchased several others. For the more infrequent visitors, I do think that is a bit of a bummer even though they are still available for purchase. My magic is similar to yours. We always stay at the cabins and the early morning golf cart rides with my coffee while most of the other guests are still asleep, the wild animals, the smell of the trading post and the sound of the ferry horn. And the music....I love the music playing from hidden speakers at all times of the day and night. Even we when stayed at pop century last month for a spur of the moment 2 night trip. That had its own magic. Watching the skyliner from our room, my solo early morning gift shop trip. The CMs have always been so excited to welcome me wherever I am. I love seeing people arrive with luggage in tow knowing they are just starting their vacation. That's part of the magic to me. I've never felt that way on any other vacation.

Buck Wheelie

Disney is a business that charges a lot of money. Asking if the magic is going away is a fair question. Disney has to justify the cost of going there and have been promoting the "Magic" since at least 1971. If Disney is not going to provide the bang for buck people are going somewhere else. Its not like Disney has dropped one small perk. ME, resort airline check in and luggage delivery are major conveniences for most people and cost savers. Do you think Disney is going to lower their prices now they don't offer those services? I think not. There are some Disney apologists on this thread. If they want to go to Disney if they only have one or two rides and a Castle then that's how they choose to spend their money. Most people expect to get something for all that money they spend to go to Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy_UK

Disney has a market though that want their product. Even Universal isn’t really a comparison and I don’t see anywhere else in the world offering the same as they are

StarshipDisney

Disney is a business that charges a lot of money. Asking if the magic is going away is a fair question. Disney has to justify the cost of going there and have been promoting the "Magic" since at least 1971. If Disney is not going to provide the bang for buck people are going somewhere else. Its not like Disney has dropped one small perk. ME, resort airline check in and luggage delivery are major conveniences for most people and cost savers. Do you think Disney is going to lower their prices now they don't offer those services? I think not. There are some Disney apologists on this thread. If they want to go to Disney if they only have one or two rides and a Castle then that's how they choose to spend their money. Most people expect to get something for all that money they spend to go to Disney.

Perfectly said! :)

eliza61nyc

As always, there are lots of grey in between
Most people DO get something for the money they pay. Imo there is a world of difference between the ability to check into an airline and offering nightly fireworks.
Now in the interest of full disclosure, I've gone to WDW and not stepped into a park but I recognize that owning dvc affords me the ability to do that.
Again I think it's more how one defines "magic".
Lol right now I'm ready to peel the paint off my walls with my bare teeth so I am probably willing to accept what they are offering. Right NOW my definition of magic is way different. I'm cool with being a Disney apologist, my money to blow.

GLM

Exactly.. this is a forum for all opinions and all should be respected. I've never understood why some people have to sink to name calling... " rich and unappreciative snobs"??? Really??
The Disney experience is different for everyone.. magical to many. If the loss of perks upsets you.. that's okay. If you feel the magic is disappearing.. that's okay. If you don't..that's okay too. Disney has something for everyone.. value resorts to deluxe resorts. There are so many off site hotels too, or a day trip for many. The "snobbish and elitist perks" are the same for a value resort guest or deluxe guest.
I know people that think anyone that goes to Disney must be "rich" !!
It's all a matter of personal opinion... but couldn't we use just a bit more kindness??

There isn't one way to do Disney.. but we all enjoy going.
as for me... I Believe in the Magic.. 🧚‍♂️

eliza61nyc

You know the only issue I have is your last sentence.
how long have we predicted that Disney is going to have a "problem"?
I've been here for about 10 years and before that I was on another site that we can't name😂 for 7 years.
Seriously that's almost 20 years of "Disney is going to be in trouble if they continue like this".
And yet.....
Now I may not like the changes or the current business model but if I had to bet, my money would be with the mouse, they seem to find a way to keep the parks full.

John park hopper

For us old timers who have visited WDW over the years we can see the changes good or bad and for some of us the magic has tarnished. For someone who is a first time visitor they have no reference point(past experiences) so it is all new and magical. Probably in 20 years ask these people if the magic is going or gone and they would be saying the same things we old timers are saying. my 2 cents

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Again ... you should be grateful parks are even open. No one is forcing to stay on property. They owe you nothing more than a room and closeness to the parks. This is a business, yes and they are giving you what you are paying for-a room. All these other perks can be cancelled at anytime. Just like a season pass can be cancelled at any time for no reason. If you don't like the price stay somewhere else. but get over this idea Disney owes everything you got in the past pre-pandemic. Be grateful you get to go on a vacation in sunny florida while people are freezing in Texas and can't take showers or drink water and are dying.

Last edited:

Buck Wheelie

Again ... you should be grateful parks are even open. No one is forcing to stay on property. They owe you nothing more than a room an closeness to the parks. This is a business, yes and they are giving you what you are paying for-a room. All these other perks can be cancelled at anytime. Just like a season pass can be cancelled at any time for no reason. If you don't like the price stay somewhere else. but get over this idea Disney owes everything you got in the past pre-pandemic. Be grateful you get to go on a vacation in sunny florida while people are freezing in Texas and can't take showers or drink water and are dying.
Well thank you Bob Iger but nobody said Disney owes us anything. People are and have been paying for a package deal at Disney. That package used to include ME, luggage delivery and resort airline check in. The costs for those service was included in the price. Now it does not include those very important services and the prices won't be going down. Consumers will vote with their money. If they don't feel they are getting their money's worth at WDW they will stay off site or go to another park or vacation spot. By the way its not your place to tell me what I should or shouldn't be grateful for. Have a good day Mr. Iger.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Be grateful you get to go on a vacation in sunny florida while people are freezing in Texas and can't take showers or drink water and are dying.
If that's your measure of whether or not to take a vacation in Florida, please realize that there are people in Florida who, although they aren't freezing, are also unable to take showers or have clean drinking water, and are dying as well.

Monkee Girl

I know we are in the middle of a pandemic but it seems that Disney is slowly taking away some of the “Magic” while staying at Disney. I know some items will return but some things seem to be gone for good.
  • Free Parking
  • Magic Bands (At least the free ones when arriving at Disney Hotel)
  • Magical Express
  • Evening Magic Hours
  • Fasspass (May Return, but will it be the same as before)
I just don’t know about the advantage of staying at Disney anymore.
Going to go read all the posts but I wanted to post my own experience.

I love Disney and probably always will. Even as the spring comes I am aching for a trip as me and my family would always go Easter week. It feels so weird not to be going. But my last trip was in 2017...I can't believe it feels like it has been 20 years ago! But with a busy theater schedule and a desire to travel to Hawaii I decided to skip. but even back then I thought the magic was slowly starting to fade for me. For me, the new technology and advancements Disney has been installing has just made everything feel too clinical to robotic. People love it but I HATE the idea of scheduling a ride 3 months in advance. Restaurants are one thing but rides?

There's also been that whole over commercialized feel of Disney as they gained more franchises. I love Marvel. love Star Wars but Disney did a better job with Star Wars when it was just Star Wars weekends. They were fun and goofy. those kind of events actually made me appreciate the prequels. Now, everything is just so serious and dark and boring. I miss the old Hollywood studios with the Stars and Cars parade and things like that.

I miss finding random 'magic moments.' a few years ago, my family and I had decided to sit at the noodle station while we waited for more of our party to finish whatever rides they were on. We ended up staying and watched the castle fireworks on the terrace and it was amazing. The next year it was closed for a desert party...Suddenly any special spot that could be claimed for and extra was taken...it was really weird.

I am not a fan of a lot of the changes being made. I want Splash Mountain to stay the way it is. I want Frozen out of the Maelstrom. and I want the Poly to still look like a rustic tropical Island...not a Moana plug (though I love the movie). But that's all just me. I know new comers who are younger and more flexible will replace me. I know I will get used to the changes as we all always do even if begrudgingly (looking at you Poly lobby fountain). But I have lost my desire for Disney. I went every single year from 2005 to 2017. Went at the most expensive time and stayed at the most expensive hotel (Polynesian). Not saying that I feel entitled but I do feel that when you physically see the changes being made, and not for the better, you start to wonder if you may enjoy yourself better somewhere else.

I do plan to go back one day but right now, Disney isn't my Disney anymore. And that's fine.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I love Disney and probably always will. Even as the spring comes I am aching for a trip as me and my family would always go Easter week. It feels so weird not to be going. But my last trip was in 2017...I can't believe it feels like it has been 20 years ago! But with a busy theater schedule and a desire to travel to Hawaii I decided to skip. but even back then I thought the magic was slowly starting to fade for me. For me, the new technology and advancements Disney has been installing has just made everything feel too clinical to robotic. People love it but I HATE the idea of scheduling a ride 3 months in advance. Restaurants are one thing but rides?

There's also been that whole over commercialized feel of Disney as they gained more franchises. I love Marvel. love Star Wars but Disney did a better job with Star Wars when it was just Star Wars weekends. They were fun and goofy. those kind of events actually made me appreciate the prequels. Now, everything is just so serious and dark and boring. I miss the old Hollywood studios with the Stars and Cars parade and things like that.

I miss finding random 'magic moments.' a few years ago, my family and I had decided to sit at the noodle station while we waited for more of our party to finish whatever rides they were on. We ended up staying and watched the castle fireworks on the terrace and it was amazing. The next year it was closed for a desert party...Suddenly any special spot that could be claimed for and extra was taken...it was really weird.

I am not a fan of a lot of the changes being made. I want Splash Mountain to stay the way it is. I want Frozen out of the Maelstrom. and I want the Poly to still look like a rustic tropical Island...not a Moana plug (though I love the movie). But that's all just me. I know new comers who are younger and more flexible will replace me. I know I will get used to the changes as we all always do even if begrudgingly (looking at your Poly lobby fountain). But I have lost my desire for Disney. I went every single year from 2005 to 2017. Went at the most expensive time and stayed at the most expensive hotel (Polynesian). Not saying that I feel entitled but I do feel that when you physically see the changes being made, and not for the better, you start to wonder if you may enjoy yourself better somewhere else.

I do plan to go back one day but right now, Disney isn't my Disney anymore. And that's fine.

Good for you. Cherish your memories and look forward to future adventures

happy travels!

ELG13

I am not a fan of a lot of the changes being made. I want Splash Mountain to stay the way it is. I want Frozen out of the Maelstrom. and I want the Poly to still look like a rustic tropical Island...not a Moana plug (though I love the movie). But that's all just me. I know new comers who are younger and more flexible will replace me. I know I will get used to the changes as we all always do even if begrudgingly (looking at you Poly lobby fountain). But I have lost my desire for Disney. I went every single year from 2005 to 2017. Went at the most expensive time and stayed at the most expensive hotel (Polynesian). Not saying that I feel entitled but I do feel that when you physically see the changes being made, and not for the better, you start to wonder if you may enjoy yourself better somewhere else.

I like your point about the hotel and the cost and not feeling entitled. I do think it's ok to expect a little more from those deluxe hotels. I absolutely love going to the poly but don't see myself affording it for a while... Probably not while we have kids to bring lol. We stay at the ft.wilderness cabins and I think that place alone is magical. They started to change it to add that dumb new DVC next to it but thanks to covid that plan got scrapped so it's going back to normal. Thank goodness. It's like what you said though. They realize what a special spot that is. They can't just leave it be. They wanted to make it a dvc resort. Charge through the roof for it. I hope that they never circle back around to that resort but I feel it's just a matter of time. Too much waterfront property they could charge for to just let it sit and be home to wildlife.

Monkee Girl

I like your point about the hotel and the cost and not feeling entitled. I do think it's ok to expect a little more from those deluxe hotels. I absolutely love going to the poly but don't see myself affording it for a while... Probably not while we have kids to bring lol. We stay at the ft.wilderness cabins and I think that place alone is magical. They started to change it to add that dumb new DVC next to it but thanks to covid that plan got scrapped so it's going back to normal. Thank goodness. It's like what you said though. They realize what a special spot that is. They can't just leave it be. They wanted to make it a dvc resort. Charge through the roof for it. I hope that they never circle back around to that resort but I feel it's just a matter of time. Too much waterfront property they could charge for to just let it sit and be home to wildlife.
My cousin decided to take a break from the Poly and tried the Wilderness and raved about it. I would be very sad if they turned it into a DVC; they absolutely ruined the Polynesian for me with their DVC (In my opinion). Once the Poly went DVC I definitely started losing interest in staying there. They pretty much just priced me out and I shared the room with 3 other family members but it just wasn't worth it to me any more. And aside from money, I watched all the little gems of the resort start to slowly disappear. the Bungalows just crowded the beach. The little stream and bridge they had outside the pool and the lobby fountain were my favorite parts of the resort. all gone. It was sad to watch so I would feel bad if they did it to Wilderness too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom