Is Spiderman better than Mission Space?

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Ok, put aside all bias here. We all love Disney here. Keep to the topic and debate.

In my personal opinion I love both rides incredibly, however, I still feel that Spiderman at IOA is better than Mission Space, any comments?

WDWFREAK53

Here's my take...

Better Ride? Spider-man
Better Experience? Mission:Space

Sorry, I love Spider-man but it never made me feel like a hero like Mission:Space did the first few times...the dramatic music, Gary Sinise making you feel like you're doing something that nobody has ever done before...right up until he says, "And don't worry, when it's time to hit the buttons...they'll light up" :lookaroun

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Good point

DisneyFan 2000 said:
Spiderman by a few thousand miles! If only M:S had a better queue and a more immersive ride maybe I'd think twice (although both are good fun). :)

Great point! I have to agree about the que. Really Spiderman has an incredible que! It feels like you are in the news room. Also, maybe this is just a coincidence but it happened when I was there. Spiderman will drop down from places within the que and run off like he's chasing someone. It was awesome! I don't like Universal that much but, I thought that was just intense!

Brian_B

Man, I really think eating sushi is wayy better than riding an elephant.

not to be rude, but the point is that I think a ride about a comic book character and a ride about blasting into space is a bit of an apple/orange comparison. Mission:Space is better, of course, by the simple fact that Universal is a derivative of Disney (as is every 'theme' park that has been fabricated post 1955) and therefore inherently inferior.

-Brian

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well

Brian_B said:
Man, I really think eating sushi is wayy better than riding an elephant.

not to be rude, but the point is that I think a ride about a comic book character and a ride about blasting into space is a bit of an apple/orange comparison. Mission:Space is better, of course, by the simple fact that Universal is a derivative of Disney (as is every 'theme' park that has been fabricated post 1955) and therefore inherently inferior.

-Brian

Good point, but I think it's really not so different (apples/oranges). Sure the rides are completely different. However, any ride on earth that we experience we have a mental ranking of them. If they were side by side, we would all decide which one we like best and then determine which order we would go on them. Though the attractions are apples/oranges, the reality is that everyone who has ridden both, well most, have an opinion on which they like more. In fact, even more apples/oranges is Spiderman and Incredible Hulk, but I'm sure someone including myself, could tell you which I like better. It's just a mental thing.

I love MS but it's not as immersive as Spiderman, in my ever so humble opinion.

mmartin2x

Brian_B said:
Mission:Space is better, of course, by the simple fact that Universal is a derivative of Disney (as is every 'theme' park that has been fabricated post 1955) and therefore inherently inferior.

-Brian

By that logic, it is impossible that The Beatles produced better music than Buddy Holly and the Crickets since they came after that group and used their original sound as a springboard. The Beatles cannot be better for no other reason than because they didn't invent the genre. That includes all of their individual songs; ergo, Buddy Holly's worst song is automatically better than the best Beatles song just because he came first.

I haven't been to Islands of Adventure, but Spiderman is probably better than Mission: Space.

Merlin

Account Suspended
civileng68 said:
Good point, but I think it's really not so different (apples/oranges). Sure the rides are completely different. However, any ride on earth that we experience we have a mental ranking of them. If they were side by side, we would all decide which one we like best and then determine which order we would go on them. Though the attractions are apples/oranges, the reality is that everyone who has ridden both, well most, have an opinion on which they like more. In fact, even more apples/oranges is Spiderman and Incredible Hulk, but I'm sure someone including myself, could tell you which I like better. It's just a mental thing.

I love MS but it's not as immersive as Spiderman, in my ever so humble opinion.

Darn it, I wasn't quick enough! When I saw this thread, I was going to warn you to prepare that at least ONE person will give you the ol' "You can't compare the two!" excuse. I love your response though, because it's so true.

To answer the original question...Spider-Man is SUBSTANTIALLY superior to Mission:Space, both in show quality and in technology. As has already been stated, the queue for Spider-Man is awesome. The one for Mission:Space is a major letdown. I personally think Spider-Man is the best theme park attraction ever. The only Disney attraction to even come close, in my opinion, is Tower of Terror.

NemoRocks78

Seized
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is lightyears better than Space. M:S doesn't offer the experience and theming that Spidey does.

Besides, I never thought M:S was that great anyway.

Testtrack321

No, you just can't compare the two. I'm sorry, but how does a fictional superhero ride compare to a realistic space mission? Indiana Jones and Spider-Man? Yeah, it works. Mission:Space and Spider-Man? No.

But if you wanted to know, I still think M:S is better. I'm not a huge fan of the que (IMHO, the que looks like the same one at JIYI) at Spider-Man, and while the ride is good, the whole experence with the music, the theme, the building, and everything goes to Mission:Space.

Laura

Premium Member
For some reason I just could NOT get into spiderman! My dad would go on and on about how awesome it is and I rode it 2-3 times in a row and just didn't feel like I was really there. I never felt any butterflies or anything. I just felt like I was watching a movie. I tried SO HARD to immerse myself in it but I just couldn't for some reason.

With Mission Space I got those butterflies in the launch so that made it so much more fun for me.

Wilt Dasney

wazzat now?

Brian_B said:
Mission:Space is better, of course, by the simple fact that Universal is a derivative of Disney (as is every 'theme' park that has been fabricated post 1955) and therefore inherently inferior.

By that logic, the Teacups are superior to Dueling Dragons, or to take it a little further, the bathrooms outside Peter Pan are superior to the Hulk.

Shaman

Overall Spidy is better than M:S...but thrill wise....M:S is better...they are both different types of rides so its hard to compare....

Has Disney made something better than Spidy? No. I just hope that changes.

DisneyFan 2000

civileng68 said:
Also, maybe this is just a coincidence but it happened when I was there. Spiderman will drop down from places within the que and run off like he's chasing someone. It was awesome! I don't like Universal that much but, I thought that was just intense!

Hey I saw him too running through the streets of Marvel. It was a real nice touch and made me feel part of the action!

grandmath

Deep inside myself, I think Spiderman is better than Mission:Space in that it combines many innovations, and is perhaps more intense in that it moves everywhere, there are many special effets, it is a feast for the eyes and the senses.

Well, Mission Space too, but it is more subtle. I don't think I could ride Mission Space 10 times in a row, but not because I dont like it, just because one ride is intense, and lasts longer. It leaves a bigger impression on me than Spiderman. Maybe it is the theme (deep space exploration), the kind of "i've been a hero", or "i survived the launch into deep space" feelings.

So that is strange because no rides have ever left an impression on me like M:S before (sustained G-Forces combined with film are so unique), but I still find that Spiderman is the greatest ride ever built. Weird isn't it? Maybe it is indeed not as an experience as M:S. I deeply love Spiderman but never believes I'm there in the movie, as it is still cartoonish. Whereas M:S, I feel like being in space. Nothing beats those super-detailed pods too.

BTW, I love the queue for M:S. I remember at the opening that everyone seemed to love it as well, yet today, many think it is a disappointment. I think it looks cool, very "spacey" :) The Wheel, the models, the control room, the pre-show rooms etc...

DisneyFan 2000

Brian_B said:

-Brian

Have we come to that? To sayings such as "Disney rules all so it must be better".

Mattimus

WDWFREAK53 said:
Here's my take...

Better Ride? Spider-man
Better Experience? Mission:Space
I agree. I love Spriderman but when I come off it I don't feel like "Wow, that was amazing". Yes, it's a fun ride and the effects are awesome. However, Mission Space really got my adrenaline pumping. It is a tad too short though, in my opinion. =/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom