Is Soarin' over California better than nothing?

Is getting Soarin' over California in The Land better than nothing?

• Yes, I'm glad a new attraction is being added to Epcot, the California theme is ok

Votes: 40 97.6%
  • No, I would rather have NOTHING added than have the ride themed to California

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

CTXRover

Original Poster
Well, I've done a lot of reading around the internet, and I'm quite surprised at the number of people who instead of being excited that a great new attraction is being added to The Land pavilion at Epcot, consider it to be "disappointing news" because it will in fact be soarin' over CALIFORNIA and not a new film. So my question is pretty simple. Would you rather get a great new attraction at Epcot that was a clone with the CA film, or would you rather The Land and Epcot get nothing new right now?

EDIT: I can't change the poll's line, but for the NO answer, you could also choose that and explain in a post that you would rather The Land NOT get a new attraction right now with a CA theme, but wait a few years to build Soarin' until they could film a new film. Vote Yes, if you want the ride now, no matter the use of CA theme/film

Here's how I feel. I'm ecstatic that an attraction that seems to get such high praise among many internet sites dedicated to Disneyland and DCA is coming to WDW. I love the idea of new attractions, and although at first I wanted a new film, I began to realize how they can tie Soarin' to the "50 years of theme park" celebration in 2005. I'm for one am thrilled we are getting Soarin' over California. Afterall, once the pay for the ride building and ride system installation, replacing the video (after the celebration in honor of Disneyland) should not be a big problem.

Then again, keeping the CA film might not be so bad. Afterall, CA has the largest variance in its topography and is the largest food producer in the United States. Perfect fit for a pavilion dealing with "The Land" and agriculture.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
hmmm

Soarin... or nothing

I don't know... where am I gonna be able to do NOTHING at epcot now?

Give me a break (not you CTXRover)... Disney is building something new (Albeit a quasi-clone) that isn't replacing anything else. The complainers need to zip it and save their griping for the next E-ticket to close.

edited for politeness

The_CEO

Originally posted by CTXRover
Well, I've done a lot of reading around the internet, and I'm quite surprised at the number of people who instead of being excited that a great new attraction is being added to The Land pavilion at Epcot, consider it to be "disappointing news" because it will in fact be soarin' over CALIFORNIA and not a new film. So my question is pretty simple. Would you rather get a great new attraction at Epcot that was a clone with the CA film, or would you rather The Land and Epcot get nothing new right now?

Here's how I feel. I'm ecstatic that an attraction that seems to get such high praise among many internet sites dedicated to Disneyland and DCA is coming to WDW. I love the idea of new attractions, and although at first I wanted a new film, I began to realize how they can tie Soarin' to the "50 years of theme park" celebration in 2005. I'm for one am thrilled we are getting Soarin' over California. Afterall, once the pay for the ride building and ride system installation, replacing the video (after the celebration in honor of Disneyland) should not be a big problem.

Then again, keeping the CA film might not be so bad. Afterall, CA has the largest variance in its topography and is the largest food producer in the United States. Perfect fit for a pavilion dealing with "The Land" and agriculture.

Having the CA film allows people in Florida to hang glide in California without leaving FL.. Whats the problem? Its a clone.. Not you CTXRover.. But im sure tomorrow people will be whining.. So.. Heres some cheese Ya'll.

CTXRover

Original Poster
Re: Re: Is Soarin' over California better than nothing?

Originally posted by The_CEO
.. Whats the problem? Its a clone.. Not you CTXRover.. But im sure tomorrow people will be whining..

Yea, I don't have a problem with it either, but I just became shocked at the number of posts here and elsewhere that expressed their "disappointment" for Soarin' being announced since it was the same CA film, that I just had to ask this question. :)

Dr Albert Falls

Like I asked in another thread:

Does Disney suck because they ARE cloning "Soarin Over California"?

Or does Disney suck because they DID NOT clone Disneyland's "Indiana Jones", and gave us "Dinosaur" instead??

Either way you cut it, Disney sucks (at least according to many people on these boards).

I don't see why people are whining about this! It's a new attraction, for crying out loud! One of FOUR being built in the next few years!! And it comes on the heels of their most expensive E-Ticket ever!

For a change of pace, some of you need to surf the DISNEYLAND message boards for a while. THEN you'll meet some people who have a right to complain. But certainly not us WDW folks.

Don't make me bust out my "Get Over It" thread again! :)

Tower/of/Terror

Account Suspended
I am absoulely thrilled to have Soarin' over California come to EPCOT.

... As I've said before, almost everybody wants to go to Cali some time in their life... people wish they could go there. And Disney will virtually put them in Cali, and seeing some of the best sites in the state, and making their wishes come true, after all, isn't that what Disney does best?

Also, Cali is a real agricultural state, even though you might not think it. Which would fit in perfectly to the theme of The Land.

Oh yeah, and they're taking out Food Rocks! correct? So technically, they are taking away an attraction to put in a new one like always.. but anyhow..

Can't wait!! :sohappy:

Walter

At first I was upset, but not so much anymore. I'm starting to understand why they're putting it in the Land, after all, you are flying over The Land of California. I just don't think that they should be so generic as to have it be only one state. They could show rivers, crops, mountains, etc, and call it Soarin' Over America. I don't know if California has mountains or not, but if it does, then it has just about everything from American land. I just think that they should change the name. Well, it's a new Epcot non-thrill attraction not replacing a classic E-Ticket, so I'm happy!

SNS

Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
Like I asked in another thread:

Does Disney suck because they ARE cloning "Soarin Over California"?

Or does Disney suck because they DID NOT clone Disneyland's "Indiana Jones", and gave us "Dinosaur" instead??

Either way you cut it, Disney sucks (at least according to many people on these boards).

There's a big difference between Soarin' & Indiana Jones/Dinosaur, it makes no sense to compare them.

Coasterbp

Originally posted by Walter
I'm just curious, is the SOC film in 3D?

No, it's not in 3D, and it doesn't need to be. The sensation of flight in this attraction is absolutely amazing.

I, for one, am GLAD that we are getting this attraction as I really enjoyed it out in CA. And also, I don't think that the CA theme of it will be used here in FLA. From everything official that I have seen about it from Disney, they are just calling it "Soarin'", and not "Soarin' over California".

-=BP

SNS

Originally posted by Coasterbp
From everything official that I have seen about it from Disney, they are just calling it "Soarin'", and not "Soarin' over California".

No, in the official announcement they called it "Soarin's over California".

PeeplMoovr

Quote from Walter:
"I don't know if California has mountains or not, but if it does, then it has just about everything from American land. "

CA has several beautiful mountain ranges (including the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada), and is home to Yosemite which many consider the most beautiful National Park in the country. (I have a friend who calls it the DisneyWorld of Nature because he feels its so perfect).
One thing about the movie shown in DCA: Except for some obvious California sites, I'd be willing to say that most people would never even know it was all California if the name wasn't "Soarin over California". In fact, most people would probably find it hard to believe all the different scenes in the movie are found in one state alone.
And when you finally ride it (if you haven't already in DCA), every last bit of doubt or apprehension will disappear for good. This is truly one of the best rides Disney has developed in a long time. I just wish it was longer! :)

BigNorm

I've heard nothing but good things about Soarin' and I can't wait to get to experience this, and if Disney says it will compliment The Land, then I will take their word for it.

Redvette

I don't know if California has mountains or not,

Wow did you ever justify putting this attraction, exactly as it is, in Epcot. Epcot has always been the "education is fun" park, and this film will show you what California has to offer, as the most geographically diverse state in the union. The two major metro areas, the deserts, the farms, the mountains, the 1000 miles of coastlines, the redwoods, there is no other state remotely like it. And now all of the east coasters, and international visitors can learn all about it in a magnificent attraction, it is perfect for Epcot.

meeko_33785

EPCOT (Future World in general) IMO needs another ride. For the past decade or so, it seems like all they've been doing is removing rides to put new rides in- not adding them. I think this is a good step up. And since it is, from what I've seen, a good and innovative family-oriented ride, this would be a good addition to EPCOT, a park that in recent years has not been adding enough quality attractions like this to their mix of attractions.

SirNim

I'm just curious, is the SOC film in 3D?
Wow, imagine how awesome the attraction would be if it was in 3-D... Talk about multi-dimensional multi-sensual effects! Whew! :)

(I'm glad we're getting this attraction, even with its California theme, but hoping that the film/name will be changed after a few years...)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Either way you cut it, Disney sucks (at least according to many people on these boards)

Disney Sucks! :eek: :lookaroun :kiss: :lol:

For a change of pace, some of you need to surf the DISNEYLAND message boards for a while. THEN you'll meet some people who have a right to complain. But certainly not us WDW folks.

anyone fortunate enough to go to a Disney theme park in their lifetime has no right to complain about that. however... in that same light, anyone who didn't get their moneys worth for the price of admission has every right to complain.

imagineersrock

i'll admit when i first heard the news that soc was official i was ecstatic.., then i heard it was an exact clone, and while still excited, it did dissapoint me a little.

i enjoy the ideas of a 'soarin over america' or maybe even just a 'soarin' ride, that shows unusual or unique landscapes from across the world.

though i know i will LOVE this attraction, i still would rather see something at least a little different; i just think that soc is to focused on one thing, i can already hear people saying ''uhm... why california? why not alaska, or idaho.." :rolleyes: lol

IMO soc works in DCA, because well, duh..! look at the name of the park.. but hear i feel soc will be a little 'out of place' much like i feel TT is..... again; i LOVE TT; however that pavillion by no means fits in with the rest of future world or epcot what-so-ever.

-that is all.:cool:

JLW11Hi

I wonder if Disney would ever change the film in the future to give it a more broad range of "Land" themes? It sounds logical that they could do it easily, but then again, they still have yet to update O Canada....

I think that it is awesome that this attraction is comming! Especially just after M:S opened!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom