Is Soarin 2.0 still a go?

backinaction

Original Poster
Just got back from Epcot today and Soarin is in really bad shape. I don't know if it was dust on the film or just damage from wear and tear, but it looked as though birds were flying through each scene (many black spots on the film that were very visible). I know there was a thread awhile back about new footage being filmed for the ride (something along the lines of Soarin around the world). Is this still a go? Is there a timeline on completion? Epcot FW seems to be in sorry shape and needs some love soon!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There has been speculation about a new film since pretty much the first year of operation. So far it has all the hallmarks of Star Tours being updated...... One day!

GrumpyFan

True! The rumors for an update to Star Tours took 10+ years before they came to fruition. We can only speculate that someday it will happen, (and should) but don't hold your breath, it may take several (more) years.

ntoeman

Soarin' 2.0 could be amazing, true, but I think really all it needs are a few upgrades and major cleaning for now. I think it's really unfortunate to hear about the poor shape it's been in and I think it really just needs some TLC. Hopefully it's on radar for just that, at the very least, following Test Track's refurb. Regardless of it's condition, it's still a big time attraction for Future World and WDW in general since 5/5/05 (it's opening day!) so it will just keep chuggin along!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Soarin' clearly needs some TLC. Problems with the film get worse every time I visit. It's obvious even to somebody who's never ridden before.

I will postulate that an update of Soarin' depends in part on our friends at Oriental Land Co. If they ever decide to add a Soarin'-style attraction at TDL or TDS, I suspect WDC will try to leverage that investment to get a new film for the US parks as well. But there's really no rush based on the popularity of Soarin' at Epcot.

WDW1974

Is it possible for them to just clean the film if they don't want to upgrade the ride and use a new film?

Asked and answered so many times ... but, yes, they could keep it clean. DCA's film always looks brand new ... Epcot looks like giant dust bunnies from space are attacking California.

And new film will probably happen ... in about 5-10 years or more.

~Take that 99 percenters!~

TP2000

Asked and answered so many times ... but, yes, they could keep it clean. DCA's film always looks brand new ... Epcot looks like giant dust bunnies from space are attacking California.

I've noticed that too in recent years. Epcot's version of Soarin' is 7 years old and looks bad, and DCA's is 11 years old and looks great. I learned the reason why at DCA recently, and it was confirmed by some reputable sources here who are more familiar with the WDW version. It all has to do with the facilities built, and the upkeep given to them.

At DCA's version of Soarin' they have two separate "Clean Rooms" where the projectors are housed near the top of the domes. The Clean Rooms are double-sealed rooms with special HEPA filtration vents and a HVAC system that creates a higher pressure inside the room than found outside the second door, so it's very hard to allow dirt and dust into the projection rooms to begin with. It's the same sort of technology used in high-tech operating rooms and laboratories, and it was custom built for the Soarin' theaters.

I learned this while waiting in Standby from a very personable supervisor at Soarin' named David who is quite proud of the attraction. In addition, he told me that the CM in the theater checks the film on each trip and if any blemishes show up that may have been brought in on the film print itself, they call the "Facilities" team who has a workshop in the DCA building and staffs a projector tech at all times. With one phone call the projector technician can enter the specific Clean Room and spraydust the film print after the ride ends and before the next show begins. David said you can get a speck or dust bunny on the DCA film sometimes, but it's something that is usually noted and fixed within a viewing or two.

The Epcot version of Soarin' has two theaters, but they didn't include the expensive Clean Room technology and instead just use average projector rooms like you'd find at a movie theater. Also, there's a difference in the maintenance schedule between the two parks. The Soarin' film prints at DCA are replaced after 6,000 viewings, but the Epcot prints are replaced after 12,000 viewings. This can affect the color and image quality by the time it gets towards the 8,000th viewing, so roughly a third of the Epcot viewings are presenting a less than stellar image, in addition to any dirt or specks that may float around.

David the Soarin' supervisor has been to the WDW version and received a backstage tour, and there is quite a difference in their operations. The result is a duller film image and lots of dust bunnies at the Epcot version. But it seems like a fix may be possible by incorporating DCA's Clean Room technology and a different maintenance mindset for the attraction if and when the film gets replaced.

I never did understand why you were flying over California in a Florida theme park to begin with. :lol:

WDW1974

Thanks for posting that TP ... I've heard the same thing and it's been posted here before, but it always comes up.

I haven't had a clean looking ride at EPCOT in YEARS.

Rode at DCA many times in the past six months and it was near perfect every go ...

~Meg Crofton asks 'Show quality? What's that?~

TP2000

I haven't had a clean looking ride at EPCOT in YEARS.

Rode at DCA many times in the past six months and it was near perfect every go ...

Before I'd chatted up David and got that explanation, I had always thought that maybe there was something to the fact that DCA's version of Soarin' looked better maintained because it was a celebration of California and thus Soarin' at DCA got more TLC simply because it was being maintained and operated by Californians.

I would think most Epcot CM's have never been to California, and certainly have no emotional attachment to the place beyond a Beach Boys song, and thus the Soarin' at Epcot was neglected more than it would be in California.

While I love the background info on the Clean Rooms and such, I still think there might be something to that. An E Ticket attraction celebrating California in spectacular fashion will probably get more love if the CM's are Californians, regardless of alleged TDO shortcomings.

Tom Morrow

Well, there is that, however...

Soarin' at DCA is not even considered a "must do" attraction, whereas at Epcot its "step over your own mother to get a fastpass" status, so there's really no excuse for Soarin' at Epcot to be in any state of neglect.

Alektronic

Before I'd chatted up David and got that explanation, I had always thought that maybe there was something to the fact that DCA's version of Soarin' looked better maintained because it was a celebration of California and thus Soarin' at DCA got more TLC simply because it was being maintained and operated by Californians.

I would think most Epcot CM's have never been to California, and certainly have no emotional attachment to the place beyond a Beach Boys song, and thus the Soarin' at Epcot was neglected more than it would be in California.

While I love the background info on the Clean Rooms and such, I still think there might be something to that. An E Ticket attraction celebrating California in spectacular fashion will probably get more love if the CM's are Californians, regardless of alleged TDO shortcomings.

Nice try, but it doesn't work for this situation. Maybe try this, How many film projectors are there at DCA? 2 IMAX projectors and probably a couple of guys who take very good care of them. A lot of TLC when you have enough people and time to take care of them.

At Epcot, the projectionists who took care of Soarin' and Land projectors, it was their only job and things were maintained pretty well. Then a couple of years ago they decided to combine all the projectionists together, so they are stretched thin, sometimes only projectionist cover the whole park of Epcot. Now they have to take care of Mexico, Norway, China, AA, France, Canada, Universe of Energy, Land Boat Ride, and Soarin' plus taking care of all the Syncrolights and Lasers used during Illuminations.

DisneyTSC

The state of soarin is an utter embarrassment. This year is EPCOTs 30th anniversary and it's depressing to think how bad this park has gotten over the years. There is nothing "21st Century" about the film in soarin, Ellens 90s adventure, or the atrocity going on over at the crime scene formerly known as the living seas. And the only lesson one can learn by riding Mission Space is that Gary Sinise paid way too much for those hair plugs.

ADP2

I doubt Soarin' will get any TLC in the near future, especially since Test Track is about to go down for a 5 to 6 month refurbishment and redesign. Could you imagine both E-Ticket attractions at EPCOT going into refurbishment at the same time......

MCC1

I've noticed that too in recent years. Epcot's version of Soarin' is 7 years old and looks bad, and DCA's is 11 years old and looks great. I learned the reason why at DCA recently, and it was confirmed by some reputable sources here who are more familiar with the WDW version. It all has to do with the facilities built, and the upkeep given to them.

At DCA's version of Soarin' they have two separate "Clean Rooms" where the projectors are housed near the top of the domes. The Clean Rooms are double-sealed rooms with special HEPA filtration vents and a HVAC system that creates a higher pressure inside the room than found outside the second door, so it's very hard to allow dirt and dust into the projection rooms to begin with. It's the same sort of technology used in high-tech operating rooms and laboratories, and it was custom built for the Soarin' theaters.

I learned this while waiting in Standby from a very personable supervisor at Soarin' named David who is quite proud of the attraction. In addition, he told me that the CM in the theater checks the film on each trip and if any blemishes show up that may have been brought in on the film print itself, they call the "Facilities" team who has a workshop in the DCA building and staffs a projector tech at all times. With one phone call the projector technician can enter the specific Clean Room and spraydust the film print after the ride ends and before the next show begins. David said you can get a speck or dust bunny on the DCA film sometimes, but it's something that is usually noted and fixed within a viewing or two.

The Epcot version of Soarin' has two theaters, but they didn't include the expensive Clean Room technology and instead just use average projector rooms like you'd find at a movie theater. Also, there's a difference in the maintenance schedule between the two parks. The Soarin' film prints at DCA are replaced after 6,000 viewings, but the Epcot prints are replaced after 12,000 viewings. This can affect the color and image quality by the time it gets towards the 8,000th viewing, so roughly a third of the Epcot viewings are presenting a less than stellar image, in addition to any dirt or specks that may float around.

David the Soarin' supervisor has been to the WDW version and received a backstage tour, and there is quite a difference in their operations. The result is a duller film image and lots of dust bunnies at the Epcot version. But it seems like a fix may be possible by incorporating DCA's Clean Room technology and a different maintenance mindset for the attraction if and when the film gets replaced.

I never did understand why you were flying over California in a Florida theme park to begin with. :lol:

Wait...so you're saying we're not really flying? It's a movie? Man...that just killed it for me...

disneyeater

Soarin' clearly needs some TLC. Problems with the film get worse every time I visit. It's obvious even to somebody who's never ridden before.

I will postulate that an update of Soarin' depends in part on our friends at Oriental Land Co. If they ever decide to add a Soarin'-style attraction at TDL or TDS, I suspect WDC will try to leverage that investment to get a new film for the US parks as well. But there's really no rush based on the popularity of Soarin' at Epcot.

I think this postulation is very plausible.

annawilliams

It was so sad to see Soarin' so dirty last time I was there. I was so excited to show my husband as it's been one of my favorites. Unfortunately all the dust sort of ruined the experience. Just a little cleaning would do wonders for it! :) It's such an amazing concept.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member

That… is a ridiculous reason.

While no longer a frequent EPCOT visitor, I do go on DCA Soarin' quite a bit. I dunno about anyone else but I've noticed the same issues its Florida counterpart experiences. Maybe not as often, but it's no golden child either.

captainkidd

I think Soarin' in just an average attraction at best as is, and not worth the hour long wait even with fastpass it always brings. This just makes it worse.

It really is a shame at what's happened with Epcot. Future World is a disgrace. World Showcase is great, but it needs more attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom