Is Rock 'n' Roller Coaster changing its theme soon?

tonystank18

How about we don’t retheme any of DHs’s four rides and just build new ones?
By late 2019, there will still be conversations of at least retheming one of the older 4 rides (Star Tours, ToT, Rockin' Roller Coaster, TSMM) out of their other 5 new ones (Slinky Coaster, Alien Saucer Ride, Falcon, First Order Ride, M&M RR).

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If they were to drop the Aerosmith connection, which, frankly, would be a ... wait for it ... shocker, they could go with a theme based on a purely Disney IP, The Black Hole, where the high-speed acceleration shoots you into the black hole with the attendant pseudo-psychedelic spirals, black lights, stretched images and confusion you get from the ball of twine simulating the disorientation of passing through the event horizon.

WDWTank

With Disney basically rehauling most of the rides/attractions at Hollywood Studios within the last few years (even my favorite Disney attraction of all time The Great Movie Ride) I think the Rockin' Roller Coaster is in need of a retheme or overhaul or in general. There have been a few themes thrown out in the last few years like Guardians of the Galaxy (which is already getting a roller coaster attraction in Epcot) and Monsters, Inc. (which I think would be a big mistake if that is the retheme). I have conjured up an idea for a replacement for Rockin' Roller Coaster in my head for the last few weeks and would be an Avengers themed coaster. In the case of there being two Marvel themed roller coasters in the same resort here is my case. The Avengers roller coaster that I personally think would be a great replacement would be (in Universal Orlando Resort's terms) the Harry Potter Escape from Gringotts attraction, the more superior intense roller coaster while the Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster would be (as of January 30th 2018 since not knowing entirely what the attraction would be but what I have heard it would be) the new Harry Potter indoor lesser intense roller coaster that is being built where Dragon Challenge (or in Disney's terms Space Mountain) once stood. You could keep the archway leading into the attraction by putting the Avengers "A" logo engraved into the top of it and say below the it "Avengers Headquarters". They would (in my mind) gut the whole attraction to build a new show building that would host a new more high tech coaster than we have now. The outside of the show building would look like what were getting for an Avengers attraction in Hong Kong Disneyland. I know the chances of this attraction happening are slim since Universal still has the rights to make Marvel attractions based on the characters you need for this ride like Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, etc. But it would be a dang good replacement if this got green-lit and built in the park.
But RnRC is already a good ride, if it ain’t broke don’t fix! :)

WDWTank

I want my grandchildren to ride this! Disney, don’t crush my dreams! Making films about dreams means everyone in the company NEEDS TO follow them.

Sketch105

I LOVE Aerosmith. It would kill me to see this change. But let's face facts- Aerosmith hasn't crafted a hit in years. When it opened in 1999, they were still producing hit singles even if the albums they came off flopped (PINK, anyone?). They were the perfect band because people who grew up in the 60s, 70s, 80s AND 90s knew who they were. It's been years since they've been relevant in the mainstream though, especially with the death of music videos and the constant changing format of Top 40 radio.

I can see an eventual change, but it's tough because we live in an age where there's little band/brand loyalty and few musical artists have had the longevity to span so many decades and reach young and old audiences...unless the ride offers a variety of bands/artists to choose from, much like that other coaster down the road. Or they can retheme it to a coaster not based on a music property but that uses musical elements, much like the Star Wars overlay recently.

deeevo

If they were to drop the Aerosmith connection, which, frankly, would be a ... wait for it ... shocker, they could go with a theme based on a purely Disney IP, The Black Hole, where the high-speed acceleration shoots you into the black hole with the attendant pseudo-psychedelic spirals, black lights, stretched images and confusion you get from the ball of twine simulating the disorientation of passing through the event horizon.
Black Hole would be a perfect IP for it. Have a big Maximilian staring down at you. That would be great!

1517387054761.png

Bocabear

The Black Hole would be odd given the other half of the park is Star Wars... They should have redone the Animation Courtyard and the new and improved version of Toontown, creating a parallel back street that would run to the RNRC building, then they could there it to almost any classic Disney cartoon. The old Animation buiding should have been rebuilt as the new Mickey Mouse and the Runaway Railway and it would all have worked beautifully.... The Central spine of the park: Classic Hollywood. The Right Side,Toontown and Disney/ Pixar animation. The Left side, Classic action and Adventure including Sci Fi e.g. Starwarsland...

Spash007

While I think RnRC is a great fun ride, I feel like it presents an identity crisis for the park moving forward. If they're really going for an immersion into the movies (or anything really movie centered), this is the one ride that really can't be stretched to be putting you in the movies (in it's current state). Now if instead they go with the idea the front half of the park represents Hollywood/LA, and the back half is you stepping into the movies (somewhat like FW and WS in Epcot), maybe that could still work given the music industry's prominence in LA.

matt9112

The visit by Steven Tyler was, I'm 99% sure, pure coincidence and has absolutely nothing to do with their plans for the ride. It was a birthday trip to Orlando.

There are rumors of this becoming GotG themed instead of ToT, which I'd be more fine with, but I'd prefer the ride to stay as-is. Why spend loads of money to retheme something when a new attraction could be built for a bit more? The retheme would not draw people, at least not over time, and would tick plenty of people off (or simply not excite them). A new ride would draw people and have a high "approval rating." That little extra bit of money would be more than worth it.

Anyway, there is a DHS section of the forum that this belongs in.

oh so your cool with aliens on sunset Blvd got it. good job.

matt9112

IMO, RnRC will eventually need to be re-done. It won't last forever like it is now.

But I agree. Additions would be a novel concept for this park.

imagine real sets...not giant cut outs. I like the theme of rock and I don't mean to rip a universal idea because this vekoma coaster is far better than rip ride rock it but they could move to a randomized/ user selectable sound track and white wash aerosmith but keep G force records and entire entry ect. a relatively cheap upgrade. I love the studio vibe so I would hate to see it go to an IP.
legit would only need new cars (with selectable audio) (maybe working headlights like hulk) granted I bet the spaghetti bowl is ugly to look at. new pre show to match generic music vibe. and than just remove all aerosmith centric references.

No Name

oh so your cool with aliens on sunset Blvd got it. good job.

What the ? Did you read the post? Do you lack reading comprehension? Were you trying to make a joke? I said I'd be more fine with RnRC falling victim to GotG than ToT, but I certainly, certainly wouldn't want either to happen. Go back and read what I said. :banghead:

Brer Oswald

The Black Hole would be odd given the other half of the park is Star Wars... They should have redone the Animation Courtyard and the new and improved version of Toontown, creating a parallel back street that would run to the RNRC building, then they could there it to almost any classic Disney cartoon. The old Animation buiding should have been rebuilt as the new Mickey Mouse and the Runaway Railway and it would all have worked beautifully.... The Central spine of the park: Classic Hollywood. The Right Side,Toontown and Disney/ Pixar animation. The Left side, Classic action and Adventure including Sci Fi e.g. Starwarsland...
Couldn’t agree more!

moofam

I think it would fit well to re-theme to Roger Rabbit...where it's old school Hollywood in front of ride, the ride is the journey into toon town...then the exit is in rear of building, spilling you out into animation courtyard, which could be expanded with animation across disney/pixar properties, even butting up next to toy story land, with a secondary entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom