Is Rise of the Resistance worth the hype and stress?

Is Rise of the Resistance worth the hype and stress with VQ?

• Total voters

Raineman

Oh, I don't know. Rare, but:

1. Six Flags Texas: 2013- passenger flung from seat on the Giant, fell to 75 feet to her death.
2. Oakwood: 2004 - Passenger fell from her seat while riding a water roller coaster, died. rider operators failed to check restraints.
3. Slitterbahn Waterpark - decapitation
4. Daytona: 2018 - Sandblaster car derailed, 2 passenger were flung 34 feet, and 8 others injured
5. Six flags GA: 1984 - Haunted Mansion fair, attraction had no sprinkler or easy emergency exit, 8 people burned to death
6. Disneyland: 2003 - car came off the track, 1 person died, 10 injured.
7. Disneyland- boy trapped under a car

And these are just a few accidents that have happened. Members of my family have personally witnessed rather 3 serious accidents. The first two involved fatal attraction ride malfunctions that lead to fatalities. One was very many years ago, but it is the kind of thing you never forget.

The third was a time I witnessed a woman with an infant in a baby carrier take a nasty spill on the pavement in Epcot. I didn't see the actual fall, as I was too far away, just the immediate aftermath. Kudos to WDW, paramedics swooped in immediately. My interpretation was that she missed when stepping off a curb. Instead of bracing her own fall, she braced/protected her baby. It appeared she successfully protected the baby, but badly injured herself in the process.

Clearly that could have happened anywhere, but I still picture it every time we walk through that area, and that was 10 years ago.

I was also going to post another ride malfunction I read about where nobody was badly injured, but people were trapped nearly upside down on a coaster for hours before they could be rescued. I also happened to ride Splash the day before someone was killed on it.

I'm also forever wary of large bounce houses, especially outdoors. Not exactly an amusement ride, but they are notorious. A quick search and you'll find lots of photos.

I dunno, to me 'stress' = a traffic jam when I'm late. More or less, we regularly live with stress. I wouldn't go to theme park if I felt overly traumatized, but I also would never go to an amusement park without being aware of my surroundings either. I try to be cognizant of emergency exits, and take a moment to make sure my seatbelts appear properly latched. that level of awareness.

Sorry for the rant, I just think it is smart to be aware theme parks do pose a little bit of risk.
I definitely agree about the risks you mentioned, but the stress that the OP was talking about-trying to get onto an attraction-is not something I would class as stressful or anxious. If I knew that something like that was going to bother me, then I shouldn’t be going to a place that was built to have fun and get away from things that stress you out.

MickeyLuv'r

I agree; it was the word never that struck me, as the expression goes, never say never.

Not so much this forum, but on other Disney forums, I've read a great many threads from people that have all kinds of theme park anxiety. Name a ride, and someone is likely scared of it for some reason. Two that surprised me were small world and the Boardwalk's clown on the pool slide. Just never would have occurred to me how many people are scared of either. Yet they post on a Disney forum, so I gather they like WDW.

For a more lighthearted clip, find the footage of Jimmy Fallon taking Kevin Hart on Rip Ride Rocket. They were supposed to promo the new (then) Jimmy Fallon ride, but I think the opening was delayed or something, so they rode Rip Ride Rockit instead.

(Colbert has also done multiple bits with various folks on the Nitro coaster, but they are almost the opposite; Paul Krugman's rather mellow.)

NelleBelle

I agree; it was the word never that struck me, as the expression goes, never say never.

Not so much this forum, but on other Disney forums, I've read a great many threads from people that have all kinds of theme park anxiety. Name a ride, and someone is likely scared of it for some reason. Two that surprised me were small world and the Boardwalk's clown on the pool slide. Just never would have occurred to me how many people are scared of either. Yet they post on a Disney forum, so I gather they like WDW.

For a more lighthearted clip, find the footage of Jimmy Fallon taking Kevin Hart on Rip Ride Rocket. They were supposed to promo the new (then) Jimmy Fallon ride, but I think the opening was delayed or something, so they rode Rip Ride Rockit instead.

(Colbert has also done multiple bits with various folks on the Nitro coaster, but they are almost the opposite; Paul Krugman's rather mellow.)
I'll admit that Rip Ride Rockit made me extremely nervous as when I rode it 2 years ago. I was extremely underweight then and my DH never told me about the restraint system (or really LACK of restraint)--I kept coming up against that bar and sliding around in my seat. Don't know that I'll ride it again as I didn't have a great time on it! 😱 Sorry....didn't mean to derail the post further! 😉

MickeyLuv'r

I'll admit that Rip Ride Rockit made me extremely nervous as when I rode it 2 years ago. I was extremely underweight then and my DH never told me about the restraint system (or really LACK of restraint)--I kept coming up against that bar and sliding around in my seat. Don't know that I'll ride it again as I didn't have a great time on it! 😱 Sorry....didn't mean to derail the post further! 😉

That sounds scary.

I daresay, your post is on topic, in the broad sense of a ride making someone nervous, due to the intensity of the ride itself.

For this thread, I don't think the OP meant nervous in that sense, but perhaps it is worth saying - without giving any spoilers- that the ride itself probably won't bother most adults. The ride and storyline might be too intense for some small children. (Height requirement is 40.")

(FYI- I once had a little trouble with restraint on RNRC. I wouldn't say it was unsafe or anything, but it was just one click loose, and that was enough that somehow my shoulder shifted on the loop and it hurt for a bit after I got off.)

Has anyone ridden Rise with children who got nervous in the sense of the ride itself being too intense/scary?

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Has anyone ridden Rise with children who got nervous in the sense of the ride itself being too intense/scary?
Yes, but it was the parents fault 100% Why? cause they keep on telling the kids that's it's not scary which obviously makes them more nervous. There was one annoying mom who rode with me pre-covid that kept telling his son."Just close your eyes if it's scary." Okay, I think there is going to be a drop." (right after the elevator). "Okay, I think this is the drop. Hold on."

His son was completely relaxed and fine while in the queue and preshows. She made him more scared and nervous.

Trackmaster

While resorts guests can often ride it, they aren't promised a boarding group, or anything close to a promise.

As opposed to say, resort guests being able to pre-book 3 FP before they arrive. (Even then WDW never exactly promises you'll get to use the FP, but usually having a FP = getting on the ride in a timely manner. There's always fine print somewhere that says park hours/attractions/fireworks aren't guaranteed.)

I think that's what he was trying to say. If one is paying onsite prices, it ought to come with a special Rise perk. Like it would be awesome if staying onsite= a Rise FP, or even being able to get a BG from the comfort of your hotel room.

Unfortunately, the ride isn't all that reliable, or at least it wasn't in the before times.

Yeah, I think that the problem is transparency, fairness, and knowing what you're going to get before you arrive. The issue also might just simply come down to demand being too extreme, Disney moving towards low capacity rides/away from omnimovers, and the parks being too underbuilt for demand.

With the second issue I mentioned, its a serious problem, and one that there's no easy answer for. There's no free lunch, and every solution is going to hurt somebody out until the capacity issue is solved.

The first issue is a way to mitigate the second issue. I feel like in a case like this, where perhaps 1/10th of the ticketed guests or less could fit on Rise in a single day... and everyone is going for that ride, maybe a screwy arbitrary system doesn't make sense. A few solutions that are communicative, have trade-offs, puts the burden back on the guest, and puts less guest on the guest relation team:

• Just put it on stand-by only (and length of wait comeback times for disabilities). Nobody likes waiting in 5+ hour lines, but that way the 10% who really want to ride put their feet where their mouth is (a play on "put your money where your mouth is"). The boarding group situation happens so fast it can be devastating when there's a phone glitch and there's nothing the CMs can do.
  • Make it so that you reserve the boarding groups days, weeks, or months ahead of time. This way you don't wait in lines for hours and you don't suffer a day at an underbuilt overpriced park and go home empty handed. Yeah, in park spending might suffer, but I think that the positive guest relations would help a lot.

MickeyLuv'r

In the past, that's what Disney did- just gave everyone standby. Well, that and things like passholder previews. It is theoretically possible they could offer something like special access passholder nights, or a special Star Wars EMH. I'm sorta thinking Somehow WDW had thought up some way to monetize special access, but the the pandemic hit, and still the attractions isn't reliable.

I dunno, to me, it isn't a good look for any attraction to have so many significant reliability issues after this much time. The yeti was already a negative in WDW column. I hope they get the problems fixed, or it will look like a boondoggle.

Chef Mickey

It’s literally worth flying to Orlando, only doing Rise of the Resistance and then flying home.

It’s also super easy to get boarding groups. I’ve been on it 8 times since July and never missed a chance. Just go in the app at, count down the seconds until 10am, and join. Easy.

I wish they did virtual queue for other popular attractions like 7DMT.

NelleBelle

Is it just WDW's RotR that has reliability issues or does DL's RotR also have issues (I know that DL's has been opened as long)?

techgeek

Is it just WDW's RotR that has reliability issues or does DL's RotR also have issues (I know that DL's has been opened as long)?

In the time that it was open, DL's copy suffered from similar technical issues. Disneyland itself currently remains closed with no reopening date yet announced.

NelleBelle

Shame! On both fronts—DL suffering the tech issues and still unable to open (although I’m sure air quality would be no picnic at this point, although it certainly can’t be worse than here in Seattle 🤢

Trackmaster

In the past, that's what Disney did- just gave everyone standby. Well, that and things like passholder previews. It is theoretically possible they could offer something like special access passholder nights, or a special Star Wars EMH. I'm sorta thinking Somehow WDW had thought up some way to monetize special access, but the the pandemic hit, and still the attractions isn't reliable.

I dunno, to me, it isn't a good look for any attraction to have so many significant reliability issues after this much time. The yeti was already a negative in WDW column. I hope they get the problems fixed, or it will look like a boondoggle.

Why charge for special access when people are already willfully paying $100 for a 10% chance of riding it?

ryguy

Pretty disappointing that Disney built a ride that a large portion of guests can't even get on. I live in Florida and have tried 3 times to get on to no avail. I feel bad for people who come a long distance and spend tons of money and can't get on. I am glad it's a great ride but if you can't experience it. Not cool. We are talking about a company that prints money (at least they did before covid) to build a ride that can't handle the daily guest count is pretty poor. But it's the same company that had to add more capacity to Toy story Mania and Soarin. Truthfully every person who buys a ticket to the Studios should be able to experience the ride (Or at least have a fighting chance). They shouldn't have to go through a bunch of bs to get on it. If someone wants to wait 3 hours to get on, let them. Thats really the only fair thing to do imo.

Animaniac93-98

We are talking about a company that prints money (at least they did before covid) to build a ride that can't handle the daily guest count is pretty **** poor.

Supposedly, Disney has finally learned their lesson that building headliner rides with low capacity like this and Flight of Passage is something they need to stop doing. It was a lesson they had learned back in the 60s, but had forgotten over time.

Doesn't help that DHS currently only has 8 other rides. Compare that to Disneyland where if you can't get on RotR you can still see the rest of the Magic Kingdom in the same day with the same ticket type, without leaving the park.

dtolman

Last February I dragged my late rising kids (and my nearly 80 year old parents - without coffee) to the bus so we could get there at 7 AM and definitely get inside the gates. Then we sat there for an hour waiting to hit a button on the app, and managed to get a mid-day boarding group.

After we got off the ride we unanimously agreed that we should make an unplanned second trip the next morning to DHS to see if we could get on the ride again (we did!). With the preshow, this is the most immersive and fun experience in Orlando we thought - and totally worth the pain.

BoarderPhreak

I went on opening day (standing at the front of the line at oh dark thirty) and they could barely keep it running throughout the day. That was stressful.

But I got to ride it four times, in part due to vouchers and super FPs. That was cool.

Great ride, no doubt. But I don't know that it has the repeatability of some classics. 🤷‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom